Official Review: Dino's World by Shawn Taverner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Dino's World by Shawn Taverner

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dino's World" by Shawn Taverner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

E.T. is real. Or so Shawn Taverner would have you believe. In his book, Dino's World, the author tells of the year he spent observing extraterrestrial ships and their pilots. He includes photographic evidence in the tome and notes that he took video as well. In fact, the title of the book is due to a particular alien crew member looking like a little dinosaur.

Shawn starts his short book by noting how he's always had "a keen, and almost obsessive, interest in extraterrestrial beings." He then goes on to say how this obsession has resulted in him spending much of his time stargazing, hoping to see something more than just the sun, moon, stars, or clouds. It is during one evening in 2017 that Taverner spies something unusual and starts taking video on his cell phone, the only device he has handy. He then spends the next year or so documenting his evidence, sometimes sharing his pictures and videos with friends and family.

I too have always been fascinated by the idea of aliens from other worlds - as well as Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Bermuda Triangle, etc. - so I nabbed this book as soon as I saw it. I was very interested in reading a first-hand account, complete with pictures. Sad to say, I was a little disappointed. Even though I believed that Shawn saw something, I wasn't completely sold on the things being extraterrestrial in nature. The included pictures were very muddy and really just looked like a mix of colorful shapes that could be anything. The author did note that the pictures had to be digitally blown up many times, resulting in very pixelated photographs. I have experienced this myself, but without clear evidence, I only had his word to go on, and I didn't buy it. One thing in particular that stood out to me was that even though the ships were hundreds of miles away (if not further), when he examined the pictures, he could clearly make out the aliens' faces and parts of the interior of their ships. I found this very hard to believe. I've taken pictures of airplanes, which are much closer to the earth (a mere 7.5 miles above ground, at most), and have never been able to make out a face or any other details in the photographs. To be able to make out that much detail in his pictures seemed like a very far-fetched claim. Shawn did note that he saw the aliens much closer a couple of times. Once, he saw one on a footstool in his house (there was no picture of this encounter), and he saw one on his neighbor's roof another time. There was included a picture of the creature on the roof, and it resembled a face, but I still wasn't certain.

Even though the pictures were less than convincing, I was still captivated by Taverner’s story. He noted how the visitations became more and more frequent until they were nightly. The aliens kept getting closer and closer too. I kept thinking, "Is this guy for real?" and wondering if this book was supposed to be tongue in cheek. The front of the book noted, "This is a work of nonfiction. No names have been changed, no characters invented, no events fabricated." Furthermore, in the Author's Note, he explained, "This is a real-life story that has stayed hidden for far too long." Even so, I kept feeling as though my leg was being pulled. Barring this book being fiction, I thought that the author had a vivid imagination and was just seeing what he wanted to see. Funnily, at one point, he wrote, "I wondered if what I was seeing was even real. Perhaps my deep desire to witness these things had somehow ended up creating illusions in my head." The pictures and videos erased his doubts, but I still had mine. Still, my doubts didn't decrease my reading enjoyment; his excitement was palpable, and I found myself getting excited, even though I was very skeptical. I enjoyed the author's voice as well. It really seemed like we were sitting somewhere, and he was telling me about these events in a casual, friendly manner. In addition, Dino's World seemed to be professionally edited, as I found only one very minor error.

Even though I haven't been persuaded that aliens from other planets are real, I am giving this tome 3 out of 4 stars. The removal of one star is due to the murky, unconvincing pictures; the author used the photographic evidence as a major selling point, so I can't just let the abysmal pictures go. I do, however, recommend this book to fans of first-hand extraterrestrial accounts and readers who are fascinated by unproven entities like the Yeti. People who enjoy science fiction may also find the read enjoyable, but I don't recommend that anyone phone home just yet.

Dino's World
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Great review! It's a shame about the images, and from your description seems that it really detracts from the storyline.. I'm not sure that this story is for me, but it does sound unique. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This does sound like an engaging book, as I also enjoy books and movies about possible aliens. It's a shame the pictures were not up to par. I loved the humor and insight of your review. Great job!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This was an exceptionally worded review that highlighted the best of the book. I am on the fence when it comes to first hand alien contact experiences, but this book presented a comidic aspect that made me enjoy reading it.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A photographic account about UFO sounds exciting. I am also fascinated by the idea of aliens. A pity the pictures (and the account) were less than convincing. At least it was well edited. I am not a fan of a first-hand extraterrestrial account, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I'm not so sure this is the book for me, but I appreciate the thought behind it. Thanks for the informative review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While this isn't normally my cup of tea, Taverner's story seems like it would draw readers in. It is fascinating to think about what other types of lives exist, but the pictures seem far-reaching. I think I will skip this one, but thank you for the wonderful review!
biblichore_pages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biblichore-pages.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by biblichore_pages »

Books based on another world, an imaginary world comprising aliens and other fasinating characters have always been an interesting read. Thanks for the nice review.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

This sounds like a fun book. I've always been interested in aliens and would like to read of an alien encounter. Congratulations to the author for being chosen as BOTD. Thanks reviewer for your excellent and very funny review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I too have always been fascinated by the idea of aliens from other worlds - as well as Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Bermuda Triangle, etc. - so I nabbed this book as soon as I saw it. I was very interested in reading a first-hand account, complete with pictures. Sad to say, I was a little disappointed. Even though I believed that Shawn saw something, I wasn't completely sold on the things being extraterrestrial in nature. The included pictures were very muddy and really just looked like a mix of colorful shapes that could be anything. The author did note that the pictures had to be digitally blown up many times, resulting in very pixelated photographs. I have experienced this myself, but without clear evidence, I only had his word to go on, and I didn't buy it

I've also been intrigued all my life by this kind of phenomena that we still seem unable to explain. However, such as you, I try to keep a healthy dose of skepticism and even if the story is amazing it's hard to believe it when the photographic proof is doubtful. It seems interesting, though. I want to know especially if he learned something from these foreign beings.
Thank you so much for your analytical review.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I agree that he sees what he wants to see. Maybe he is not really serious since the book cover is not appropriate for the book. I thought it was a children's book. Thanks for your review!
alysha_walters14
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alysha-walters14.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by alysha_walters14 »

I am very excited to read this story. As a lover of all things unproved, even with the murky pictures, I am excited to see how it unfolds.
"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

- Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Hmmm...interesting, indeed! Upon first glance I thought today's BOTD was a children's book about dinosaurs; in my mind, I had already imagined the excitement on my nephew's face when telling him it's free today, but, this opens an entire different bag 'o worms! Ha! I loved your review and references to E.T. and phone home. :-) Great job and thanks!
Sakeenah143
Favorite Book: From Drift to SHIFT
Currently Reading: Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakeenah143.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Sakeenah143 »

The book cover is an attractive one but unfortunately I am not a fan of science fiction.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounds like a fun story about one`s wholehearted desire for extraterrestrial beings to be real. Real or not, fiction or non-fiction, this sounds like a tale of discovery and pursuit of one`s passions.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”