Official Review: The Light In The Woods by Cherie Miller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: The Light In The Woods by Cherie Miller

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Light In The Woods" by Cherie Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Light in the Woods by Cherie Miller is a pre-teen chapter book full of fantasy and adventure. The main character, Jackson, is a thirteen-year-old boy who lives in the country with his parents and grandfather. The extended family is tight-knit, and Jackson's house is often full of aunts, uncles, and cousins. Much to his dismay, however, all of his cousins are girls. In his attempts to get away from what he considers silly girl stuff, Jackson often escapes to the solace of a huge sugar maple climbing tree in the backyard and even to the forest behind the house.

One day while he is exploring much farther into the woods than he has ever been, Jackson finds an old tree that he has not seen before. It is a massive dead oak with an ominous sign on it: "Danger! Keep Out!" Not long after that, Jackson hears some odd popping sounds and feels like someone is watching him, so he heads back home. Talking to Gramps about the eerie experience, he finds out that he's not the first of his family to find the old tree. One of his ancestors actually put the warning sign up many years earlier. Gramps advises Jackson to stay away from the tree, and Jackson promises -- with crossed fingers. When Gramps goes to visit his sister, Jackson packs a backpack with necessities, determined to find out the secrets of the lights in the woods.

The book is well written and easy to read. The story flows well, and the plot kept me turning pages late into the night. The dialogue is natural, which is especially important in books for children who are learning to read and write dialogue. Further, the descriptions of the characters and setting are quite detailed and vivid, and they evoked clear pictures in my mind. That's also great for chapter books.

I love the fact that even though this book's primary audience is pre-teens, the author doesn't focus strictly on Jackson or just on the cousins. Jackson's parents are secondary characters, much like they often are in young adult fiction. However, Gramps is an integral part of the plot, and Jackson loves and respects him. I think the many children who grow up with grandparents or other extended family members as primary caregivers would enjoy reading about Jackson's connection with Gramps. Jackson and Jessie, one of his girlie cousins, both grow during the story, recognizing that people are more than what they show on the outside. Miller also includes age-appropriate line-drawn illustrations. Unlike the colorful, thickly outlined pictures found in children's books, these illustrations look like pen and ink drawings, reminding me of those that could have been devotedly drawn by a student in a composition book. I found them very fitting, and I think students will appreciate them.

Unfortunately, there are several comma errors and missing words. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, taking one star for the editing issues. I recommend this book to children in grades three and higher. The chapters are short, and the book itself is not much more than 100 pages. There is no violence, and the theme of the importance of close family and friends runs throughout. Teachers and parents would enjoy this book, too, and I can see it (after editing) being used as a fun whole-class book study.

The Light In The Woods
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poor Jackson! I feel sorry for him that he has to deal with all those girls! :) I do wonder what is special about the old tree and why they posted the sign to stay away. It sounds quite interesting, and I think I can overlook the editing issues. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 09:03 Poor Jackson! I feel sorry for him that he has to deal with all those girls! :) I do wonder what is special about the old tree and why they posted the sign to stay away. It sounds quite interesting, and I think I can overlook the editing issues. Thanks.
Can't you just feel the pre-teen angst? :D :D :D

Yes, this really is a lovely book. Thanks for taking the time to comment!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 14:44It is a massive dead oak with an ominous sign on it: "Danger! Keep Out!" Not long after that, Jackson hears some odd popping sounds and feels like someone is watching him, so he heads back home
This sounds scary... :o
Great review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Your review makes me want to know what's going on with the tree. It certainly has my curiosity up. Hopefully, the author will get the errors fixed as this seems like an intriguing book for that age group. Great review as always!
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Okay can you secretly tell me what's up with the tree? I don't think I can sleep with the curiosity you've aroused in me! Such a great review!
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

I'm a girl and I find my female cousins annoying! I'm usually a little sceptical when it comes to pre-teen books but you cleared my doubts when you talked about other characters being as much part of the book as pre-teens. Thank you for your review. :)
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Daniel_ wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 09:15
sarahmarlowe wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 14:44It is a massive dead oak with an ominous sign on it: "Danger! Keep Out!" Not long after that, Jackson hears some odd popping sounds and feels like someone is watching him, so he heads back home
This sounds scary... :o
Great review!
It's such a fun book! Thanks for taking the time to comment!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Prisallen wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 10:29 Your review makes me want to know what's going on with the tree. It certainly has my curiosity up. Hopefully, the author will get the errors fixed as this seems like an intriguing book for that age group. Great review as always!
I hope errors will be cleared, too. I would love to recommend it to my elementary teacher friends. Thanks for your kind words!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Areej Tahir wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 15:29 Okay can you secretly tell me what's up with the tree? I don't think I can sleep with the curiosity you've aroused in me! Such a great review!
Haha! You sound like Jackson. He couldn't sleep, either! Thanks for commenting!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

SpiritPhoenix wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 05:19 I'm a girl and I find my female cousins annoying! I'm usually a little sceptical when it comes to pre-teen books but you cleared my doubts when you talked about other characters being as much part of the book as pre-teens. Thank you for your review. :)
Haha! I love that! Thanks for taking the time to comment!
sarahmarlowe
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

This sounds like a great adventure even for adults. Though the teens might be annoying for me, but your review is beckoning me to sample this. Thanks for this nice review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

briellejee wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 01:08 This sounds like a great adventure even for adults. Though the teens might be annoying for me, but your review is beckoning me to sample this. Thanks for this nice review! :tiphat:
You're right that adults would enjoy it. And, I know exactly what you mean by the teens being annoying! I have passed on many YA books because the teens were dramatic and superficial. You won't find that here. Jackson is the oldest at 13 or 14, and the girls aren't "messy."

Thanks for taking time to comment!
sarahmarlowe
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

When are adults going to learn that "Keep Out" warning signs never work with kids, hmm? This is quite the creative way to encourage reading and I hope the author fixed the missing commas and words because it's the kind of idea that kids love.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Nisha Ward wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:03 When are adults going to learn that "Keep Out" warning signs never work with kids, hmm? This is quite the creative way to encourage reading and I hope the author fixed the missing commas and words because it's the kind of idea that kids love.
:lol: :lol: You're right about the signs! And, you're right about the editing. If this book had better editing, I would buy copies and donate them to our local school myself. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!
sarahmarlowe

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”