Review by Nisha Ward -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Review by Nisha Ward -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gather together, dear friends, as we delve into the spooky tale of one man’s journey into the unknown. Together, let us face death as I tell you the story of Dave Robertson and his quest to produce The Ultimate Guide to Zombies.

I’m being facetious, of course. It’s not a story and it’s certainly not a quest, but it is a basic primer into all things dead, rotting and moving. Within these pages, Robertson sees fit to tell us the origin and history of the zombie, ranging from its beginnings in voodoo superstition to the current heyday of necrotic cinema.

“Now, Nisha,” you might say, “that doesn’t really tell us much about the book.”

To this, I can only reply that it does. You get what it says on the tin and oh boy, do you get it. Robertson is a self-professed zombie fan, though I would rather call him a zombie stan, am I right?

(Please note that the writer is not responsible for the facepalms that may occur upon reading the previous joke.)

On a more serious note, the author presents not just a basic history that one can look up in this age of Google, but also contextualises each historic, cinematic, musical and gaming reference for a clearer picture of the zombie’s place in each field. As I read, I found it quite informative as he didn’t just highlight the most popular films or those deemed to be the best, but also those that are seminal to the field in terms of both establishing pop culture lore and the effects of makeup and video-effects on the zombie’s image. He also includes games and music as each represents a type of art that is also rife with images of the dead and walking.

In addition to this, Robertson also ventures outside of the artistic to look at other ways in which zombies have affected the world. It’s something that surprised me as I had not realised the breadth and scope of that effect, from the Center for Disease Control’s use of zombie imagery and genre tropes to raise awareness for disaster preparedness to the various events and companies that are specifically zombie focused.

In fact, a moment that struck me was the inclusion of zombie weddings as an entire section of its own. I had no idea that cemeteries and mausoleums were available as an option for the event’s venue. It almost makes me want to suggest it to my sister instead of a traditional church wedding. It seems fun.

However, despite these features and the magic of Robertson’s humour, the book struggles to rise from the grave to become a definitive study. It reads more like a fan’s manifesto about why zombies are cool and why we, as consumers, should care about them than something academic. No doubt, this was done on purpose. Yet, when that pivotal swing from a mere observation of history to something more hobbyist occurs with the first insertion of the author’s opinion on why zombies are better than other mythical creatures, it detracts from the book’s raison d'être.

As such, it became increasingly difficult not to roll my eyes or write my own screed on why vampires are the best as the book goes on. In fact, I did roll my eyes when the author criticised the CDC’s plan for dealing with a zombie epidemic because it seemed to suggest that he knew better than the authorities on such matters. It was tongue in cheek, of course, but this is an example of the few moments where Robertson’s humour tended to fall flat.

With that said, I’m still willing to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Not only is it well edited with only a single error, but it’s also informative, mostly funny and structured in such a way that it’s easy to follow. While the author’s love of zombies didn’t mix well with my love of vampires at some points, I still had a rollicking good time reading this, and I recommend it to anyone who loves pop culture, the undead or both.

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I completely get what this book is about, and I already have a list of friends in mind who would love it.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

esp1975 wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 11:55 I completely get what this book is about, and I already have a list of friends in mind who would love it.
It's fun, right? I loved it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I have to confess zombies were never that exciting to me, especially with the deluge of zombie-related media everywhere. Still, the book seems really fun and insightful, so I wouldn't mind checking it out. Love them or hate them, zombies are a staple of pop culture that have even shaped other aspects of society and the way we think about the world. Thanks for the amusing and informative review!
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

This book is very interesting to say the list. Your review made me very curious and intrigued to read this. Nice review.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Tomah wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 16:43 I have to confess zombies were never that exciting to me, especially with the deluge of zombie-related media everywhere. Still, the book seems really fun and insightful, so I wouldn't mind checking it out. Love them or hate them, zombies are a staple of pop culture that have even shaped other aspects of society and the way we think about the world. Thanks for the amusing and informative review!
They really are. Personally, as I've said, I prefer vampires but the book is pretty interesting just the same.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Misael wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 19:41 This book is very interesting to say the list. Your review made me very curious and intrigued to read this. Nice review.
Have fun and thanks for stopping by!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

This is not even close to the type of book I would enjoy - but I do enjoy reading your creative reviews! I also know a few people that this book might appeal to so I can recommend it.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Misael wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 19:41 This book is very interesting to say the list. Your review made me very curious and intrigued to read this. Nice review.
*correction: should be least, not list.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

The title itself was so intriguing and now with your review, I really want to give it a go. However, sister I love vampires more than zombies as well. So High five to that
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

OK, that sounds like a crazy unique book. While not my cup-a-tea, I can think of several people who would love it!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

This sounds like a book that wouldn't interest me. However, your brilliant review has piqued my interest in this one. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author certainly did his research,and makes the reader laugh along the way. Your humorous comments made zombies seem like something we need to learn more about! We will all be waiting for updates about your sister's wedding plans!
racelaine
Currently Reading: Dangerous Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-racelaine.html
Latest Review: Aftermath by Charles Williams

Post by racelaine »

The way you've described it is making me feel like I'm getting an opportunity to have my apathy towards the undead turned on it's head. Wonderful review!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

allbooked+ wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 05:55 This is not even close to the type of book I would enjoy - but I do enjoy reading your creative reviews! I also know a few people that this book might appeal to so I can recommend it.
Thanks for reading and yes. Please do recommend it to them.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”