Review by Wriley -- The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Wriley -- The Biblical Clock

Post by Wriley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Was the Earth created in merely six days as the Bible teaches in the Genesis story or are scientists correct, and the Earth is 13.8 billion years old? The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan by Daniel Friedmann with Dania Sheldon seeks to prove there is a way to put both on the same timeline. The author further ventures into the timeline of the End of Days as predicted in Biblical text. Friedmann approaches the topic through the eyes of Judaism. I am Christian so my understanding of the Torah is limited, but Friedmann includes a glossary that is helpful.

The Biblical Clock is organized in three parts. The first focuses on the Earth's creation and how the Hebrew text fit into science's Big Bang theory. I recognized many of the text as Old Testament scriptures which made Friedmann's logic more relatable. The second part focuses on the End of Days and where we are currently on the timeline. The third part ties the book together to demonstrate how the Creation and End of Days are interconnected. Through these connections, Friedmann shows the timeline correlation between the Bible and science.

Each chapter recounts a different story, placing us at that particular place as if we are listening in on the conversation of a Jewish scholar and his pupil. The flow of each chapter is easy to interpret because of the conversational format. This allows the evidence to be presented in a format that's easily understood. There are charts, maps, and pictures that make the evidence more understandable. The author is convincing in his arguments, and I have no problem believing his premise.

My background is in science, but I'm of the Christian faith, therefore I did have some difficulty with some Jewish references. I used the glossary often. I admit my personal beliefs on the Creation and science are much like the author's. I find it interesting the book's layout reminds me of the scientific method. Friedmann states his hypothesis then presents the evidence to demonstrate his theory.

In chapter ten the author narrates a fictional story of what the End of Days may look like. The narrative is interesting but felt overly discriminatory to everyone who is not Jewish. I dislike these parts of the book most because other faiths are not included in a positive light.

The book appears to be professionally edited because I found no errors. The book is expertly organized. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the quality of the writing is wonderful. The book is well outlined with a beneficial glossary. The recommended audience is anyone with an interest the topic. The material is complicated so teenagers and younger children may have difficulty understanding the concepts. A background in Judaism will benefit the reader.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like that the author tries to reconcile the Biblical and scientific timeline.I will be interested to know how he does this. Thanks for your wonderful review.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

I like that this book is professionally edited. Also like the idea of reconciling science and biblical ideas of the creation. Nice review.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I would probably also find chapter 10 a bit difficult- if it omits all other faiths except Judaism. Thank you for your very informative and thorough review. It was a pleasure to read!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I have studied the Bible so I enjoy seeing what others' interpret even though it is different from what I know. I might enjoy this book. Thanks for the thorough review!
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

It sounds very interesting and I believe it is an important topic. Definitely going to read it. Thank you for the great review!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It's odd that a book that focuses on the Torah would contain "Biblical" in the title. I am glad it was well written and explained despite the false advertising though. Great review!
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

unamilagra wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 18:25 It's odd that a book that focuses on the Torah would contain "Biblical" in the title. I am glad it was well written and explained despite the false advertising though. Great review!
I wondered the same thing! The literally never had the words "New Testament" or "Jesus" not once. I did a search in case I missed them. The author was somewhat dismissive of any nation besides Israel as well which was odd since he was American. The author actually gave me a negative view of Judaism but I know every religion has "those" people.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I loved the organization and the thought of the book. Great review
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an interesting read and the questions posed on the age of the universe are very important. I would personally like to read this book. Thanks a lot for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”