Review by Wyland -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Review by Wyland -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wyland »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

He’s just turned nineteen, but his heart is unsettled. Although his last business venture is successful, it’s no longer a challenge. Indeed, in what has become a regular occurrence over the last twelve years, it’s a cue for him to embark on finding a new thrill; one which will not only while away his time but eventually is conquered. Incidentally, this is also the same year the Olympics are being held in Los Angeles. And by buying him a used 10-speed bike, Newbery’s father inadvertently plays a big part in steering his heart to his next dream.

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is an autobiographical account that illustrates parental love as the active force that fuels a child’s ambition. Unbelievably, from his formative years, Newbery pursued his dreams freely (school was at the bottom of his list of priorities). With a dad working as an architect for IBM and a mom as a British actress, his pursuits couldn’t have been for the money. Instead, I noticed a long history of pioneering ambition in his family, stretching from his grandfather, who was “gassed and shot in the eye by German soldiers”; his mother, who followed her dreams to become an actress at 16 years of age, and in the process, landing a leading role in a play; and a father who left his homeland (Argentina) and came to the U.S. in search of a new opportunity.

Anyway, in cycling, and quite paradoxically, a trait that would prematurely end many a career in other team sports, would in his case, propel him to unimaginable echelons of success in a relatively short space of time. He describes this so-called “breakthrough” experience quite animatedly in his book.

While riding with a group of top local riders, that included Olympian Thurlow Rogers, he felt uncomfortable because he had been left out of their conversation. However, knowing himself to be a loner when they reached the base of a very long climb, he made a dash for it. Luckily, since he was a “Fred,” he was merely ignored. Needless to say, he willed himself up to the summit of this “never-ending climb.” Even more importantly, the next guy to finish this race after him “seemed a bit astonished.” As he later puts it, throughout his cycling career, and all his life, he has always remembered that experience.

And rightly so because the experience taught him a life lesson known as the “burn zone.” Quite simply put, any achievement of relevance is “the result of preparing for and enduring burn zones.” All of our lives are full of burn zones, “which test the limits of our bodies and minds.”

With an ardent and candid tone, Newbery counsels on the need to adopt a winners’ stance. In other books on personal development, his relentless shifting from one challenge to another would be termed as avoiding the “comfort zone.” Impulsively, knowing the dangers of sticking to a routine that is devoid of passion, Newbery kept moving from one dare to another. He did this even when, in his own words, he “lost everything and emerged over $26 million in debt.”

Furthermore, like birds of a feather, I marveled when he cited an enduring quote by Nelson Mandela that is so in line with his “never say die” philosophy. No wonder, then, I reckoned, he supported his dad’s tendency of still being active towards the end of his last days (through walking mainly), despite what popular opinion recommended (this included his dad’s doctor).

Besides, by writing what he’s experienced, Newbery is merely writing from the heart. In this respect, an experience he endured at one of his flagship projects marked his turning point. Going forward, he knew he wanted to share his “experiences to alleviate the suffering of others.”

As I wind up, some of the major themes he’s tackled are on family ties, personal development, life savings, and racism. Additionally, the book is exceptionally well-edited, as I came across only one instance of a missing word in a sentence. Having nothing to dislike about the book, therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend it to anyone who wants practical teachings on how to build and sustain wealth realistically. Unlike others, the book has no complicated formula or theoretical concepts you need to cram to achieve success; but rather, it’s like a father or mother counseling their child on the secret of a happy and fulfilling life, mainly from a wealth point of view. Personally, I know I’ll be keeping Newbery’s best practices close to my heart.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Wow! Amazing review. I like how you detailed on the experiences of the author and his family. This sounds like an inspirational read. Glad it left an impression on you. Thanks for a well-written review, Wyland. I enjoyed reading it.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I wonder how much his parents' attitudes towards trying new things and being willing to take a risk influenced his own entrepreneurial spirit while growing up. This truly sounds like an inspirational book to read. Thank you for a great review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I love the author's concept of "burn zones" and that we all have them. Excellent review, Wyland!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I totally agree with your views on this book, as I have just finished reading it. "Burn Zones" is definitely something we will not soon forget about! Thanks for this great review:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 04:23 Wow! Amazing review. I like how you detailed on the experiences of the author and his family. This sounds like an inspirational read. Glad it left an impression on you. Thanks for a well-written review, Wyland. I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks, Ekta Kumari for your kind comments. Could be one of the best inspiring books I have read coz the author is so down to earth.
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Meg98 wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 22:26 I totally agree with your views on this book, as I have just finished reading it. "Burn Zones" is definitely something we will not soon forget about! Thanks for this great review:)
Thanks, Meg98 for your kind comments. Yeah it was good.
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Bluebird03 wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 19:08 I love the author's concept of "burn zones" and that we all have them. Excellent review, Wyland!
Thanks, Bluebird03. Yes the concept is so catchy yet significant in meaning.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Wyland wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 02:31 parental love as the active force that fuels a child’s ambition
This is a very important truth all parents needs to know. Thanks for the wonderful review.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

And rightly so because the experience taught him a life lesson known as the “burn zone.” Quite simply put, any achievement of relevance is “the result of preparing for and enduring burn zones.” All of our lives are full of burn zones, “which test the limits of our bodies and minds.”
Thank you for telling me what this is! I have seen the cover of the book, but I wasn't sure what the title meant. Ok. I'm back on track now.

Your review is beautifully written, and I really enjoyed reading it. I wish I could find a "bow to you" emoji! :D
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Wow this review was just so amazing! this books sounds like something I really need to get my hands on, thanks to you!
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Great review! It sounds like such an inspirational story! And at such a young age he seems to have done more than people do in their entire lifetime!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thank you for your insightful review! I was questioning where Jorge got his drive to try new things. Your review satisfied my curiosity with your comments about his childhood and his parents' influence. I want to read about his childhood and the activities and influences that formed his personality. Thanks for your excellent comments on this book!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Newbery's book is inspirational because of the personal stories of conquest he has included. I find myself inclined to reading it. Thanks for the review.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I like the concept of "Burn Zone" and how the author has used it effectively to convey his message to his potential audience. Thanks for the enjoyable review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”