Review by Fazzier -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Review by Fazzier -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is a memoir that details how the author exerted himself in achieving his goals and surmounting the life hurdles he encountered both in his entrepreneurial journey and personal life. I could see that the author was proactive and had a strong desire for success from when he was still of a very tender age.

At the age of seven, Jorge J. Newbery had started working and, at age eleven, he had already created his first business. His entrepreneurial and risk-taking spirit did not end there. Thereafter, with such a determination and focus, the author also ventured into other areas such as sports and real-estate investments. He continued learning in each of those areas he ventured in until a debilitating tragedy befell one of his grandest and most cherished real-estate investments: The Woodland Meadows. This, though, did not disempower him. I admired how the author rose beyond the ordeal and came up with another peculiar business solution to a certain market gap in the mortgage sector.

This book was well-written and wonderfully executed, achieving perfectly what the author intended it for. The chapters were arranged in terms of the jobs the author undertook and, therefore, it is easy to follow through the author's entrepreneurial journey. In each job he landed, the author not only shared how he exerted himself to achieve great success but also how he overcame the challenges he encountered. All these were inspiring, but not in the way leaving the readers feeling that success can be achieved overnight. Furthermore, the author included some colorful photographs that complement the narration of the activities he engaged in and the experiences he had. I liked the fact that the photographs were also captioned, and this acted as a great guide for me in knowing precisely what they contained.

What I liked the most about this book was the author's compassion and commitment toward helping the less-privileged. This he did even to the extent of compromising his business’ profit margin. But this did not end only for the people outside his family. The relationship between himself and his family members, especially his father, was also touching. For instance, during his father's critical illness, I could see the love Jorge P. Newberry had for him. This was the most emotional part of the story, and I only did my best to barely prevent tears from welling down my cheeks. I was surprised by that since I'm not always emotional, but this touching story managed to take me that far, the first one to ever do so.

In conclusion, I didn't find anything to dislike about this book. The language used was appropriate and can, thus, suit a wide range of audiences. Besides, it was perfectly edited since I did not find any grammatical or typographical errors. I'm, therefore, glad to award Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery 4 out of 4 stars. It was great learning from the first-hand experiences of a distinctive entrepreneur, and that's why I've awarded it the perfect score. So, this is the book I'm glad to recommend to any reader since there are many life lessons on how to overcome challenges we often face both in our personal and business (or professional) lives. On the other hand, I can't figure out anyone to caution against picking this book.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like the sound of this book as it sounds inspiring as well as touches you emotionally with his family history. Great job, Fazzier, as always!
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Prisallen wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 18:41 I like the sound of this book as it sounds inspiring as well as touches you emotionally with his family history. Great job, Fazzier, as always!
Indeed, it is an inspiring as well as an emotional read. Thank you so much, Prisallen, for the kind words! They really mean a lot.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I like a book that can bring out your emotions, I feel it means the author gave his heart to the story! Thanks for the review!
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

Well, as everything makes me cry, I better get a box of kleenex. I love a good inspirational book.

Thank you for your detailed review!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

I've also selected this book for review and I'm enjoying thus far. Looking forward to writing mine. Thanks for the review.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Such an inspiration book! Loved your review!
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 😊
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It's nice to see someone who has achieved so much be willing to compromise their profits to help hose who are less privileged. It speaks so much to the author's character, all of it good.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”