Official Review: Unfinished Business 2 by Lacrecia Hillis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Unfinished Business 2 by Lacrecia Hillis

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unfinished Business 2" by Lacrecia Hillis.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Growing up in an abusive home with a chaotic childhood can make the transition into adulthood difficult for anyone, but things are especially bad for Asha, the main character in Unfinished Business 2 by Lacrecia Hillis. Published in April of 2019 and the continuation of the first story, Unfinished Business 2 read well as a stand-alone novella. At just under 30 pages on the print edition, I was able to read the story in one sitting.

The main character, Asha, was forced to grow up in a home that resembles pure chaos while also spending most of her time feeling as if she needed to be protecting her mother from her abusive father. With the obvious signs of abuse consistently covering her mother's body, Asha's main goal is to keep her mother as safe as she possibly can. Without sharing the brutal information about the traumatic sexual, physical and emotional abuse she's also suffered, Asha knows she has to get away. Knowing she needs to leave, but unable to leave her mother in her childhood home with a monster, Asha forces herself to stay and endure the abuse longer than she should. When she's given a chance to get away for a while, Asha takes the opportunity to build up her strength and stamina for when she's finally able to confront her poor excuse for a father.

While I'm not able to comprehend the life that childhood abuse of this severity would cause, I certainly felt the pain of the main character. Her devotion to her mother is prominent in the story, but so is her desire to get away from the madness and make a life for herself. The theme of the story was consistently dark, which is to be expected with a story of this type. I feel the need to give a reader's discretion, as the story involves some sexually explicit scenes, as well as possible triggering factors such as rape and abuse.

While the story was fairly short, I was surprised at the author's ability to get such a developed premise underway in such a short amount of pages. My main complaint with the story, though, comes with the lack of editing. There were multiple grammatical errors throughout, such as the incorrect use of "your" vs "you're" and "too" vs "to," which did become rather repetitive throughout. There was also an incident of a rather awkward chapter placement where one chapter ended in the middle of a sentence and the next chapter picked up right where the prior left off.

Despite the numerous editing errors I found throughout, I was overall fairly satisfied with the development of Unfinished Business 2. I feel like if the story went through another round of editing to clear up some easily resolved errors, this would really be a story that many could enjoy. For Unfinished Business 2, I give a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. I hesitated with this rating, mostly because it seemed a bit unfair to only give 2 stars due mainly to editing reasons, but there are so many that I feel as if it did take away from the story in general.

Unfinished Business 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's been a while since I've read a short story like this; it's probably about time to as it's hard to find the time to read anything longer. The premise sounds interesting. It's just too bad it wasn't executed well. Hopefully the author can fix the errors. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Interesting to have this made into a novella instead of a longer book. Sounds like an emotional read, but it is too bad about all the errors. Thanks for your honest review!
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

It's really bad to grow up to an abusive home and normally kids grow up to be insecure, depressed and sad adults. Wonderful review.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a tear-jerker for sure and an incredibly fascinating story, but it is such a shame about the editing. It really can detract from a good read, which I think is what happened in this case. Hopefully, it will have another round of proofreading! Thanks for this excellent review.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The cover art drew my attention, or rather the lack of a focus image on it. It does work well for the context of the book though. It's a shame when lack of editing takes away from the story. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you for checking it out!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I admire the author's good sense in being so concise, given the highly emortive nature of the tale.Its however painful to note how long such grevious form of abuse often go unchecked. Your review is impressive, thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you for checking it out!
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”