Official Review: A Crack In The Plaster by Martie Zuckerman

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: A Crack In The Plaster by Martie Zuckerman

Post by rssllue »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Crack In The Plaster" by Martie Zuckerman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you try to conceal your imperfections from the world? Do you see yourself as priceless or worthless or maybe somewhere in-between? Do you have trust issues, or are you too trusting? These are some of the questions that Martie Zuckerman kindles in the mind of the reader throughout her collection of poetry entitled A Crack in the Plaster.

Being one of the many elders in our society, Mrs. Zuckerman has a long lifetime of experience that she is able to inject into her works of poetry. As you read through the multitude snapshot stanzas of her life, she shares her many strong feelings that she has experienced throughout her many years. As you would expect, a lot of the poems found in this book are about relationships, since our relationships are usually the areas in which we find the most intense feelings of both love and anger. We can never be so devastatingly wounded or upliftingly healed except by those who we hold most dear in our hearts. The author expresses many of these feelings in her writing, but she does not neglect to include goofy observations of herself and others to give balance to these pages either. In the end, the book gives a pretty nice mix of the gamut of feelings that we can experience throughout our lifetimes.

The book is arranged into five separate chapters that take us through a variety of ruminations on situations the author has come into contact with. The majority of the poems are of a pithy nature that can be read in a couple of minutes or less. Most of the verses come from feelings within herself onto the page, but she does have ones that also are specifically for others in their time of need or want. One of my favorites was written for a wife to give to her husband who was dealing with the loss of his brother. Mrs. Zuckerman did an excellent job of crafting that one to fit the deep faith of the family.

As I began reading this book, I was extremely pleased when the author told me right away that she utilized rhyming verse in all of her poetry. This is by far my preferred way of reading poetry, so that made a great start to the reading experience. I also enjoyed the openness that Mrs. Zuckerman displayed in the poems that were included in this publication. She left herself pretty bare emotionally at times which definitely speaks a lot to her confidence in herself.

There is not really much of anything that found that I could say truly detracted from the book for me. Though the author was often trying to connect with other women in much her writing, I never really felt targeted to be excluded from her words just because I am a man.

As a quick heads-up for the reader, there were a few isolated instances of strong language in the book, but in no way is that prevalent at all in the author's writing.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Mrs. Zuckerman is completely engaging in the poetry that she has published for our consumption here. It was a wonderful mix of chapters from her life that I got to experience in this book. I would recommend this book to any lover of poetry in any of its forms. I would also recommend it to anybody going through a difficult time in their life who might be looking for a like mind to touch base with. One can find joy, comfort, and understanding in the verses of these excellent works of poetry.

A Crack In The Plaster
View: on Bookshelves
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This sounds like a wonderful book of poems. It takes a lot of courage to write poetry like this. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like that poetry are short writings that evoke deep thoughts and emotions. I'm certain I will enjoy this book.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I like that this collection is written by someone who is older and has the experience only a long life can have. I'm sure it's hard to write poetry that emotionally lays the author out. If poet does not do that then the reader sees it in the poetry. I could see myself reading this.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I love honest poetry full of emotions, the author must have a lot of wisdom to share too with her age. I'll probably enjoy this one. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If I have to read poetry, I do like it to rhyme. It's nice the author implements that. However, I don't think I could still work through all the poems. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Great review! This sounds like an interesting and insightful book. I will check this one out! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

It sounds like an intriguing poetry book. It takes a lot to write about deep personal feelings. Great review.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like that the author has infused her wisdom acquired through her long experience into her poems. I also like the themes of love discussed. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Her years of experience with relationships certainly gives her a unique perspective. I also like her thought-provoking title. Great review!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I am drawn to the title and cover of this book. It is good to know that Zuckerman's poetry depicts the cover, allowing the reader to see the cracks underneath the surface. Great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

I love poetry. Thank you for a great review. Definitely needs my attention.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Letora wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 08:12 This sounds like a wonderful book of poems. It takes a lot of courage to write poetry like this. Thank you for your review!
I totally agree. She definitely puts herself out there through her work.

And thank you for the nice feedback as well. :tiphat:

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Michelle Fred wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 08:39 I like that poetry are short writings that evoke deep thoughts and emotions. I'm certain I will enjoy this book.

Be sure to let us know what you think after you get done reading it! :D

rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Wriley wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 10:45 I like that this collection is written by someone who is older and has the experience only a long life can have. I'm sure it's hard to write poetry that emotionally lays the author out. If poet does not do that then the reader sees it in the poetry. I could see myself reading this.
I hope you do indeed get a chance to read Ms. Zuckerman's work. It is quite the journey to take along with her throughout this book.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”