Official Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cooperative Lives" by Patrick Finegan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The lives of a group of neighbors in a high-end, high-rise building in New York City constitute the center of the plot of Cooperative Lives, written by Patrick Finegan. George Wallace (Wally) and Hannah (Hanni) are a divorced couple that split-up after the tragic loss of their daughter Alya. Their lives get intertwined with the Roberts: Jack, Susan, and Melissa are husband, his much younger second wife, and daughter. Nothing is quite what it seems in this surprising novel that involves loss, espionage, embezzlement, and betrayal.

Hanni is the focal point of the book, and the other characters have links to her in one way or another. Originally from Turkey, her actual name is Hanife – a multilayered, mysterious woman of Kurdish origin. Having been exposed to toxins in her home town, she blames herself for Alya's leukemia. Mildred is also a captivating, strong female character whom I enjoyed. The author masterfully portrays this witty eighty-year-old writer who plays an essential part in the end. But I won't give away any spoilers!

New York City is much more than a setting in this story. The author cleverly weaves numerous well-constructed and subtle references to the city in the plot. New York’s history, geography, distinctive features, and inhabitants’ lifestyles are all part of the narrative. I appreciated these characterizations. For instance, Wally is “conditioned like every New Yorker to look down in the elevator, to not meet a stranger’s gaze in the subway, to avoid eye contact unless absolutely necessary.”

I was positively impressed with the author’s writing style. The portrayal of Alya’s suffering and death is just devastating. The author conveys the parent’s despair and helplessness with the little girl’s terrible disease in a dramatic, intense, and almost poetic way. Alya’s agony nearly brought me to tears. Moreover, the way the author pieced together an initially fragmented plot kept me hooked. It felt like solving a puzzle.

In closing, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. It is fairly well-edited. Most of the errors I noticed were minor punctuation issues that do not detract from the reading experience. I am taking a star away because I felt that the author overused vulgar language and profanity. In my opinion, the book would be better without this. Adult readers who enjoy realistic drama with plot twists will enjoy this book; those who are put off by foul language might not like it. I don’t think the book is appropriate for teenagers.

Cooperative Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Wow, this sounds really cool! I love strong female characters and don't mind profanity either, I think I'd probably enjoy this. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a book that surprises me, especially in a good way. This sounds quite interesting to me. The vulgar language makes me pause, but it is intriguing enough to make me think about it anyway. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

This sounds like an intriguing novel with an intricate plot covering themes that are not usually found together. I don't like the vulgar language, but I'll deal with it because it really sounds like a great book. I enjoyed reading your awesome review. Thanks!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

A novel filled with both high-stakes secrets and personal drama seems to fit my tastes quite well. I usually don't mind vulgar language, though I can see how its overuse could feel grating to some readers. It's good to know the book is professionally edited; too many authors fail to perform due diligence in that regard. Thanks for the review!
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

Quite the intriguing book it seems. I like the unexpected in a book. I could not imagine living in a place that I was afraid to make eye contact but I'm from the South and we are the opposite of reserved for the most part. This seems to be a book about lose but it seems that it's not. Depth is a good thing in books and this book has depth, it seems.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

It sounds like an interesting read, but I am a bit skeptical about the profanity and vulgarity. It really does detract from a good book when it is overused. Thanks for this great review!! :)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

You have me intrigued about the role of Mildred, the witty eighty-year-old! Your writing does an excellent job of presenting this compelling story! Thanks for the interesting recommendation.
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

Thanks for the review. At first I thought it's a crime fiction. I don't usually enjoy dramas but I might give this one a try. What gendre is this? Is this drama? I just want to confirm.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

Great Review I've read the book and its really captivating. I do like a strong female character as well.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”