Review by heidifinger -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi Finger
Favorite Book: The Expected One
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-finger.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Review by heidifinger -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Heidi Finger »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley – I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The author, Len Foley, very cleverly uses fruits, vegetables, and other varieties of food in a fun counting book. The rhymes are catchy and easy to sing along to. Reading this book to your young one will help them be able to identify fruits, vegetables, and other foods while learning to count. Unexpectedly, this counting book also teaches life lessons of recognizing and accepting differences in one another and ourselves.

Three potatoes and a banana begin by introducing themselves as four funny potatoes. As they sing their song and throughout the book, they are continually reminded by the banana that they are all not potatoes. Benny the banana gives a suggestion of a new song but they all have to run for their lives to prevent from being eaten. I just love the ending. There is no stop to the giggles from start to finish.

I would recommend reading this book to children from preschool age all the way to second grade. The older children will find Four Funny Potatoes! hilarious while the younger children will appreciate the rhymes, bright pictures, and colorful font. An older child would even enjoy reading the book to a younger child because of the humor. The content appeals to all ages.

The reason I only gave this book 3 stars rather than 4 is because the unnecessarily capitalized random words throughout the book can be confusing to beginning readers. This book would be a good fit for a large group of preschool children read out lot in a classroom environment.

I appreciate the steps the author has taken to make this book amusing for all age groups while adding life lessons and beautiful illustrations. I even found Len Foley’s bio entertaining.

~heidifinger

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”