Official Review: American Captain: The First to Avenge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: American Captain: The First to Avenge

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American Captain: The First to Avenge" by Mike Brown.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

American Captain: The First to Avenge by Mike Brown is a parody play based on the movie “Captain America: The First Avenger”. This play follows a similar, but more extreme, version of the original plot, with recognizable characters like American Captain Steve Dodgers, Cold Soldier Barney Bucks, Agent Sassy Garter, and the villain, Crimson Cranium. Barney Bucks is chosen to be America’s first souped-up soldier, but Steve Dodgers happens to be inside the Vital Ray machine when the scientist is demonstrating its properties, causing Dodgers to accidentally become American Captain. Crimson Cranium, a failed souped-up soldier, wants to steal the glowy cube (tesseract) so that he can make everyone in the world look horrific like him. Will American Captain and Sassy Garter be able to stop Crimson Cranium? What will happen to Barney Bucks to make him become The Cold Soldier? You’ll have to read the manuscript or see the play to find out.

As an Avengers fan, I was excited to read this parody play. It hits on all the major plot points from “Captain America: The First Avenger” while adding new, funny scenes that are original to this play. It creates humor by overdramatizing the relationship between Garter and Dodgers and by pointing out plot holes from the original. With a small cast and opportunities for actor improvisation, the show could be changed a little each night to suit the audience’s mood.

I only found a few mistakes in the script, and I think it was probably professionally edited or at least thoroughly proofread, especially because the play has already been performed at a theater. I appreciated that the characters’ lines were properly marked and that stage directions were clearly separated from lines.

The play has two acts with four scenes in each act. It moves relatively quickly, and would probably make for a fast-paced performance since it includes many action scenes. It also has three musical numbers, all of which are set to popular songs like “Raise Your Glass” by Pink. These make for a fun interlude between the action scenes.

Overall, I would rate this play 4 out of 4 stars. It’s a fun parody of the popular Captain America franchise, and fans will recognize the commentary the author is making on the original. With only a few mistakes, it appears to be professionally edited. The humor and language is appropriate for fans of all ages, although those who haven’t seen “Captain America: The First Avenger” may not understand all of the jokes or the ridiculous (but funny) ending.

American Captain: The First to Avenge
View: on Bookshelves
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Sounds like fun and worth reading especially if one has already seen "Captain America: The first Avenger." 😁 I guess that I would read it for the laughs! Thanks for the review!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Interesting parody play. Am a huge Avenger fan. I'll pass this one because of the musical numbers added.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds really interesting and fun! I've only seen the Captain America movie, so I'm not sure if I would know enough to know what was being parody. I still might have to try it, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

My husband and I love The Avengers so I really want to read this! It sounds like it would be really funny. I like the switched up names. Thanks for writing the review to bring attention to the book.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The Avengers have a huge following and their movies are immensely popular. I wonder how many people would read a play or attend a play about the Avengers? Interesting review. Thanks.
hancocktara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hancocktara.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by hancocktara »

I'm a big Avengers fan and Captain America: The First Avengers is one of my favourite films. I will definitely check this out, it sounds really fun. Thanks for your review!
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

The 'cold soldier' really makes me crack up, LOL. I think this would be a really fun read for me since I enjoy the Marvel movies. Will try checking this one out soon :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”