What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

The last book I read was Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

It was pretty good! Sometimes the main character's emotional wreckage was a bit annoying, but I couldn't find myself thinking it was too much. I was also impressed with how un-rushed the story progressed, so I didn't feel like the drama or the romance was overly done or too quick. Plus, it was funny and spoke to me personally as a fangirl of my own type of fanfiction, so I really enjoyed it.

I give it 4/4 stars :)
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Oh, and right before Fangirl, I read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz.

Can honestly say it's become one of my favorite books! Gave that 4/4, too :mrgreen:
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
snovanna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snovanna.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by snovanna »

The book I just finished this monday is titled “Health tips, Myths, and Tricks”; it’s an interesting read, full of health information. I gave it 3/4 stars. :)
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I just finished The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett yesterday

I rate it 8,5/10
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathon Swift is one of those classic novels that everyone thinks they know something about, and yet may not have read the original text. Everyone has heard of Lilliput and Yahoos and Houyhnhnms, right?

In this contrived, satirical account, Lemuel Gulliver records his travels to strange lands, where he manages to be shipwrecked every time he sets to sea, and is washed up alone in weird places inhabited by miniature people (Lilliput), or giants (Brobdingnag) or horses, or whatever!

It may have been a clever satire reflecting on the customs, politics and religion of England in the early 18th century (the reign of Queen Anne) at the time it was written, but it hasn't aged well.

It's never really funny, just childish, and I was glad to get it done. 3 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Hollieanne11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollieanne11.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Hollieanne11 »

The last book I finished reading was Killing Abel by Michael Tieman killer story.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

My previous review was on Island Games by Caleb Boyer. I rated this a 2 out of 4. Boyer is a young writer and his story was fairly well done, but his amateurish presentation was a major distraction for me. Still, I think with encouragement, and some professional guidance, this young man could become an excellent writer.
Olaf Gothberg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaf-gothberg.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Olaf Gothberg »

I just finished reading, and reviewing, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies, by Matthew Tysz. I gave it a 2 out of 4 stars, though apparently a lot of people found it to be a solid 4 out of 4.

Before that, I recently finished Fight Club for the second time. The first time was many years ago, long enough to have forgotten most of it. I think it's better than the film, but it drops the ball toward the ending, so I think the ending in the film is actually stronger.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I just finished reading 'Virago' by Ritiqa Pachauri yesterday. I rather disappointing read. I would rate it 3 out of 5 stars
Ant
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Two books by one of my new favourite authors
The Chalk Man and The Taking of Annie Thorne by CJ Tudor.
5/5 for both of them, both absolutely brilliant.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

The last book I read was Burn Zones and I gave it 4-star rating.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I confess to be something of a Francophile, so I was certainly positively predisposed towards Paris by Edward Rutherfurd, despite its daunting fatness (830 pages).

And I certainly wasn't disappointed by this epic work of historical fiction documenting key periods in the history of the French capital over several centuries.

Using a half a dozen fictional families to ground the narrative, Rutherfurd deftly documents events in Paris mostly covering the period from 1875 to the 1940s, occasionally dipping back in time to as early as 1261, as well as covering selected events in the 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th centuries.

The story interweaves events such as the design and construction of the Eiffel Tower, the transfer of regal power from Paris to Versailles during the reign of Louis XIV, the rise of Fascism in Europe, the emergence of the French Resistance in WWII, and many other recognisable events.

Despite its length, span of time covered and the extensive cast of characters, it was never dull or confusing, although the 'family tree' provided at the front of the book was very useful and I consulted it often to to be sure I kept track of various family connections.

4.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

The Lost Identity Casualties. Rate 4/4
A very intriguing story full of well-developed characters and a multi-layered mystery.
Anny75
Currently Reading: Neverwhere
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Anny75 »

Just finished reading "Hazards of time travel" by Joyce Carol Oates.
It's quite different from what I was expecting, but still a good book. I guess my rating is 4/5.
mrgrt23
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by mrgrt23 »

The last book I tried to read was John Irving's "In One Person." I give it a 1. I stopped reading about 2/3 through and returned it to the Library. I don't have a problem with gay characters, or transvestite characters, but this main character didn't know what he s/he wanted. Or said one thing and acted another way. It was too fake for me. Even in a book, I want the characters to be who they are. Wishy washy is not a good look. And it wasn't because the character was trying to decide. Just hard to get through this one. And I usually love Irving.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”