Review by LeeleeByoma -- The Dark Web Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Review by LeeleeByoma -- The Dark Web Murders

Post by LeeleeByoma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dark Web Murders is a classic “whodunit”. In August of 2012, Kevin Lane is processed into the Magilligan Prison. When he goes to take a shower a few hours later, two inmates approach him intending to sexually abuse him. In the struggle that follows, Kevin slips and falls, smashing his head against the wall tiles. The two inmates flee the scene, and with no witnesses, Kevin’s death is registered as an accident. Six years later, Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan has a series of murder cases to solve. All the victims’ heads are smashed open with grey matter oozing out of them, and an old-fashioned truncheon is shoved into their rectums. The Chief Inspector and his team follow the ensuing investigation to various locations across Northern Ireland, and one virtual location: the dangerous dark web.

Author, Brian O’Hare, lined up the chapters to chronicle the events in days and different times of the day from 12th to 24th of August. This gave a heightened sense of urgency to the story and made it easy to track the investigation. The author prefaced the book with a list of his well-developed and distinct characters, along with their brief biographies which came in handy. O'Hare explained that reviewers of his earlier books had requested for this list. Thank you, reviewers.

The Dark Web Murders is a brilliantly written work of fiction. Had I not been required to take note of typographical errors, I would have been glad to ignore them. The characters are very distinct in realistic ways, and that is what I loved the most about the book. My second favourite detail is the abundant use of classic British humour; understated but oh, so funny! My third favourite detail is the slick way O’Hare tackled topics of injustice, revenge and retaliation while giving us a glimpse into the depravity of the dark web.

The antagonist is a memorable character whose pain one can understand while disapproving of the methods employed in getting justice. Here’s one valid point made by the antagonist: “Who can say, if they have not experienced the pain of abuse, of degradation, of loss, whether vengeance is retribution or tyranny?” While I can relate with that, I recognise that human beings ought to be bound by laws and a state of order; therefore, we shouldn't go about exacting revenge on those who have wronged us. I had a character whom I fancied for the murder, and I found myself racing through the story to find out if I was right. I was! But rather than feel unsatisfied at the predictability of the conclusion, I felt a sense of accomplishment. Again, such is the power of storytelling. I will now go ahead and put in an application to my local Police department.

There were a few typos, but not enough to disrupt the flow of the book. Moreover, the book still came across as a professionally edited book. The one feature which I did not like was where our antagonist left a significant clue for the police to decipher in a poem. The message in the poem was glaring, yet the entire team of detectives could not see it. I found that to be rather unrealistic but notwithstanding, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the masterful storytelling. It is my pleasure to recommend The Dark Web Murders to all lovers of murder mysteries. Readers who cannot stand the gory thoughts of paedophilia, sex slavery and murder should avoid this book.

The Dark Web Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

"I had a character whom I fancied for the murder, and I found myself racing through the story to find out if I was right. I was! But rather than feel unsatisfied at the predictability of the conclusion, I felt a sense of accomplishment. Again, such is the power of storytelling. I will now go ahead and put in an application to my local Police department."

This is the joy that comes from reading a good book! Thanks for your recommendation!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 10:06 "I had a character whom I fancied for the murder, and I found myself racing through the story to find out if I was right. I was! But rather than feel unsatisfied at the predictability of the conclusion, I felt a sense of accomplishment. Again, such is the power of storytelling. I will now go ahead and put in an application to my local Police department."

This is the joy that comes from reading a good book! Thanks for your recommendation!
Absolutely! Thanks for reading the review.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I really like how you've expressed your thoughts on the book's themes. This seems to be a worthwhile read for any fan of crime mysteries. Although you were able to predict the conclusion, I've a feeling that this has a good enough plot to keep the readers hooked. Thanks for the honest and thorough review, though.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:

Post by LeeleeByoma »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 16:34 I really like how you've expressed your thoughts on the book's themes. This seems to be a worthwhile read for any fan of crime mysteries. Although you were able to predict the conclusion, I've a feeling that this has a good enough plot to keep the readers hooked. Thanks for the honest and thorough review, though.
The plot definitely kept me hooked. Thanks for your kind comment.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have enjoyed other books by this same author. Your review makes this seem like another worthy read. Thanks for the excellent recommendation - (Officer Byoma??)
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:

Post by LeeleeByoma »

kdstrack wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 14:57 I have enjoyed other books by this same author. Your review makes this seem like another worthy read. Thanks for the excellent recommendation - (Officer Byoma??)
Officer Byoma reporting for duty! Thank you for your nice comment.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The plot seems to be pretty good. Thanks for your great review, LeeleeByoma.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:

Post by LeeleeByoma »

LinaMueller wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 12:18 The plot seems to be pretty good. Thanks for your great review, LeeleeByoma.
It really is good.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I really agree with you about the poem, the whole scene was really annoying as none of them could figure it out! But for the most part, I did enjoy the book. Thanks for the review!
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:

Post by LeeleeByoma »

rumik wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 19:17 I really agree with you about the poem, the whole scene was really annoying as none of them could figure it out! But for the most part, I did enjoy the book. Thanks for the review!
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found that scene odd. Thanks for reading my review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”