Official Review: Mother Love, Willow Lane, Book Two

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Mother Love, Willow Lane, Book Two

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mother Love, Willow Lane, Book Two" by Ann McCauley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Barbara Malone, after spending decades in an unhappy marriage, has just become a widow. Now that her kids are grown and don’t need her as much anymore, she longs to help others and give her life meaning. After careful contemplation, she decides to join the Peace Corps and put her nursing skills to use in the mountains of Honduras. Her parents, mother-in-law, and four children are at first horrified by her choice, but they soon realize that they won’t be able to change her mind and begrudgingly see her off on the biggest adventure of her life.

Mother Love by Ann McCauley is the second book in the Willow Lane series. However, it can easily be read as a standalone, as the first book is about an entirely different family on the same street. The book begins with a tape-recorded message Barbara has sent to all of her children, explaining her decision to join the Peace Corps. From there, the point of view alternates between Barbara and each of her four kids, as Barbara takes off to the jungle and her kids go on living their own lives in the United States. Much of the book is comprised of phone conversations between the siblings and their grandparents.

My favorite part of this book was that it exposed me to a view of what life is like in the rural mountains of Honduras. The villagers live in poverty but seem to be more content than the affluent people Barbara knows back home. Most of the people are friendly, caring, and generous with what little they have. Barbara also witnesses firsthand the conflict between the “banditos” and the corrupt Honduran government, and she sees how their battles negatively impact the lives of the innocent citizens.

Barbara experiences her share of joy and heartache as she serves her patients and makes friends in Honduras. She eventually begins to question where she truly belongs. Her character has depth and her emotions are real and relatable, and I found myself chuckling as well as holding back tears as I turned the pages of the book. Her adult children also have their own distinct personalities as they make their way through life. Their relationship and career challenges, as well as their nagging fear for their mother’s safety, are also very believable.

The only aspect I didn’t like about the book was that as information traveled through the phone chain from sibling to sibling to grandparent, reading became extremely repetitive at times. While in real life it’s true someone will often have to repeat news several times within a large family, in a novel it can really slow down the momentum of the story and make for very tedious reading.

Overall, this book was well edited. I only noticed a handful of errors, none of which really detracted from the plot. Taking into consideration the wonderful cultural component of the novel, as well as the great character development, I award this book 3 out of 4 stars. If there had been less repetitive content, I would have been happy to give it a perfect rating. This book definitely qualifies as chick lit, and I think it would be a great choice for any woman who likes to read about relatable life challenges and the emotions that come with them. Although there is no graphic violence, sexual content, or profanity, I would still recommend this to adult audiences who have “been there” and can relate to the characters and their lives.

Mother Love, Willow Lane, Book Two
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I love the fact that the protagonist does something drastic at an older age, like joining the peace corps. That would be wonderful to read about. It's good that it's a stand alone, as I haven't read the first in the series. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

This sounds so interesting. The desire to have a sense of purpose in her life is something I can relate to. Barbara showed tremendous courage in leaving her safe abode to work with the Peace Corps in Honduras. I admire her strength.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

What a cool plot! I love that the main character is so strong and adventurous. I also like that, while this book is part of a series, the author has written it with a focus on another family. This sounds like a good read, and I would love to know more about Honduras. Thanks for the review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

Great review..however the book does not seem to fit for me.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I like that this book has a strong and brave woman as the lead character. I'm sure there is great character development. I hope Barbara found her purpose by the end of the book. Thank you so much for this thorough review.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 09:53 Wow! I love the fact that the protagonist does something drastic at an older age, like joining the peace corps. That would be wonderful to read about. It's good that it's a stand alone, as I haven't read the first in the series. Thanks for the information.
Yeah, I really enjoyed that the perspective was from an older person. Thanks for commenting!

Michelle Fred wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 10:24 This sounds so interesting. The desire to have a sense of purpose in her life is something I can relate to. Barbara showed tremendous courage in leaving her safe abode to work with the Peace Corps in Honduras. I admire her strength.
I definitely think that all women can find a piece of themselves in Barbara. Thanks for stopping by!

sarahmarlowe wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 10:27 What a cool plot! I love that the main character is so strong and adventurous. I also like that, while this book is part of a series, the author has written it with a focus on another family. This sounds like a good read, and I would love to know more about Honduras. Thanks for the review!
I also like the idea of each of her stories in her series focusing on a different family. Thanks for your comment!

Charlie19 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 04:06 Great review..however the book does not seem to fit for me.
Thanks for stopping by anyway!

Ekta Kumari wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 07:23 I like that this book has a strong and brave woman as the lead character. I'm sure there is great character development. I hope Barbara found her purpose by the end of the book. Thank you so much for this thorough review.
I always love strong female protagonists too. Thanks for commenting!
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

Thanks for pointing out the repetitive nature of the book, I may pass it because it would definetely drive me to the edge :x . Great review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What an inspirational life! This puts a whole new spin on 'retirement'! Thanks for the amazing recommendation!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The premise sounds nice, and I like that it's a standalone. I'm with you on the repetitive content though (that does sound a bit tedious). Thanks for this review!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds really inspiring, and it's all the better that it's a standalone. Being long-winded also seems tedious, like you mentioned. Thanks for the review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Thanks for the interesting review. I was touched that the Mum in this story took such an adventurous step.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

This looks like a nice read about humanity and helping others. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

[bn=][/bn]Most of the chick lit I see nowadays tends to fall into the romance category so this is a rare find indeed. As for the pacing, I do wonder if it would help if it showed one conversation then mentioned that the information passed down the line rather than showing each one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This story seems like something I would enjoy reading. However, I cannot join the Peace Corps yet as that will make my present home a war zone. I'm both commanding general and grunt here for now.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”