Official Review: Crushed to Restored by Feyi Obamehinti

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Crushed to Restored by Feyi Obamehinti

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crushed to Restored" by Feyi Obamehinti.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the Old Testament book bearing his name, Nehemiah is called from exile in Babylon to return to Jerusalem for an important purpose. That purpose is to rebuild the walls of the city and restore the gates that were destroyed during years of attacks and neglect. In Crushed to Restored, by Feyi Obamehinti, readers will find an in-depth study of the book of Nehemiah focusing on restoration and, among other things, the symbolic meanings of the gates of Jerusalem. Just like them, parts of our lives sometimes fall prey to attack and neglect. The book is an excellent interactive guide to restoration and emotional healing through reflection and Christian Biblical standards. It is written for use either as a group or individual study, and directions are given for both.

Each chapter starts with an overview, in which Obamehinti introduces the Biblical truth that will be discussed. The author uses the study method of Hear-Believe-Apply. In the Hear section, she gives a scripture from the segment of Nehemiah being studied, allowing readers to “hear” the word of God. The next part is Believe, where readers are encouraged to grow their faith based on scripture they just heard. In Apply, the author encourages action toward restoration. Each of the Hear-Believe-Apply sections end with two questions (and space provided for answers) to be used for journaling. Questions are probing and thought-provoking, allowing readers to uncover areas where they may need healing.

After the main lesson in each chapter are inclusions of Closing Thoughts and a Sample Prayer. In Closing Thoughts, the author openly shares pieces of her testimony that demonstrate the spiritual ideas discussed in the sections. With this, Obamehinti is giving an example of the application of faith in “everyday life.” Sample Prayers focus on the current topic and encourage readers to go to God with needs and requests.

There are many, many things I like about Crushed to Restored. Not far into the book, I could tell that the author is a woman of God who is gifted in teaching and wisdom. I like that she presents the outline of her study method and the chapter overview early in the book, allowing readers to follow more easily. Obamehinti talks about the importance of prayer, spiritual warfare, and the word of God. Early on, she includes charts to help readers measure their types of loss, allowing them to understand how these losses are affecting them. For visual learners like me, there is also a map of Jerusalem and the gates that are so integral in the book of Nehemiah. She includes chapter notes and other resources at the end of the book, offering other possible sources for further restoration. Finally, the author includes a personal touch in the chapter notes, adding family photographs and discussing how God worked in her life during the time the photos were taken.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The sole reason I am deducting a star is that I found several grammatical and formatting errors, most of which can be easily fixed with another round of editing. The only other problem I have with the book is that occasionally the Closing Thoughts are a little too long, which I believe takes away from the focus on the reader. I recommend this book to Christians who want to explore the effects life losses have had on them. I also recommend it to those with an open mind and spirit who would be interested in a study that provides tools for introspection and healing using a book of the Bible as a guide. But, more than that, I believe that this book is so well done and so helpful that if I had ten copies of it, I would hand them out to friends.

Crushed to Restored
View: on Bookshelves
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even with the errors, this sounds like it would be a great bible study. I'm definitely curious what the author has to say. I'll have to put this on my list to study. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mangata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Mangata »

I have a basic knowledge about Nehemiah and Jerusalem's gate, so I think this book will give me a deeper insight about it. I love how the author associated the rebuild of ruins with emotional healing. Great review! Thank you for the recommendation!
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 09:44 Even with the errors, this sounds like it would be a great bible study. I'm definitely curious what the author has to say. I'll have to put this on my list to study. Thanks!
It certainly is a great study, and I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

This certainly sounds like an insightful read. I like that the author is methodical in the presentation. It's sad that it has some errors, otherwise it looks like a neat book. Thanks for the thorough review.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Sounds like a great book for a Bible study or religious reading group.
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

This seems like a useful tool for Christians looking to grow. Great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The mental image of the destroyed walls of Jerusalem are a great connection to the emotional healing the author offers in her book. I appreciated your comment about the author's gifts of wisdom and teaching. This is great review and I want to get this book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

I should read this book as I like bible-based books. Nice review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a great book for Christians to read to strengthen their beliefs and to heal. Thanks for a wonderful review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It sounds like once the errors are fixed, this will be great for group discussions. Great review!
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Mangata wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 09:55 I have a basic knowledge about Nehemiah and Jerusalem's gate, so I think this book will give me a deeper insight about it. I love how the author associated the rebuild of ruins with emotional healing. Great review! Thank you for the recommendation!
Yes, the author is a great teacher! Thank you for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 12:01 This certainly sounds like an insightful read. I like that the author is methodical in the presentation. It's sad that it has some errors, otherwise it looks like a neat book. Thanks for the thorough review.
I liked the methodical, organized approach as well. I think that would keep me focused. Thank you for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

esp1975 wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 13:19 Sounds like a great book for a Bible study or religious reading group.
Yes! She wrote it in a way it could be used for either. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

LeeleeByoma wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 15:57 This seems like a useful tool for Christians looking to grow. Great review!
Yes, it is very well done. Thank you for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”