Review by ErikaP13 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Review by ErikaP13 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by ErikaP13 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what would happen if someone like Harry Potter moved to a slightly more advanced Westeros? Well, look no further. We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is exactly that.

Galen Bray (our figurative “Chosen One”) escapes the war-torn Land of the Princes when his estranged uncle reaches out to him. He moves to Voulhire to claim his inheritance. Voulhire is the one country everyone wants to go to. It’s advanced, intellectual and, above all, safe. Turns out there’s a lot more lurking under Voulhire’s pretty picture. At the same time, we follow the story of Lord Eldus Alderman. He is given a Lordship over Hillport and tasked with making right the wrongs committed by its previous rulers.

You can read We Are Voulhire in one of two ways: You can read it as a story and follow where it leads you. Or, you can sink into the pages and explore the book’s deeper messages.

On the surface of it, the story seems simple enough in comparison to a lot of other fantasy novels. The story is captivating and, for the most part, easy to follow. There are moments where the story seemed to drag along, as well as chapters I just wanted to speed through to get to the good parts. This might be the only noteworthy complaint I have about the book.

The real magic happens when you look a little deeper into the story. There are so many little philosophies and commentaries scattered through its pages. My personal favourite of these is when Lord Eldus's son equates his task of "inspiring the people" to manipulation. It's two lines in the book; no more than 11 words. However, it made me stop reading to consider the idea.

Something that grabbed my attention, and probably the thing I liked most about this book, was how Tysz used first and third person narration interchangeably. It’s something I’ve never come across. Each shift in narration changes the reader’s personal perspective of the story. Most of the story is written in the third person and it lets you observe everything that happens objectively. Galen’s story alone is written in the first person. That, to me, brings his naivety and innocence to the front even more than his story arc already does. Galen is new to Voulhire. He doesn’t know this land and its customs. We know nothing about this world Tysz created either. We learn along with Galen. We’re given a subjective experience as a part of the story.

That being said, despite Galen being singled out like that, the story isn’t necessarily about him. We Are Voulhire seems to be one of those books where everyone picks a favourite perspective. Some people are more interested in Galen’s story, others prefer reading about Lord Eldus and Hillport. Some care more about the King and Voulhire’s politics, others would rather read about the dark wizard Meldorath.

This is a great book for people who want something a little deeper than the average story. I would also recommend this to someone who wants to start exploring the fantasy genre but doesn’t know where to start. There are very few errors and most of them are nothing more than typos. The author’s style is, plainly said, eloquent.

All in all, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Yes, there are errors and, yes, there are some parts that trudged along. But, overall the book was such a great experience, I had to read it twice before sitting down to write this.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I love this author. This was a great review!
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

Renee_Prior1995 wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 14:52 I love this author. This was a great review!
I'm happy to see you enjoyed it!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

A very insightful review. You had surely read between the lines. I wish I had done the same as my review of this book. Wishing you a nice day.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 20:12 A very insightful review. You had surely read between the lines. I wish I had done the same as my review of this book. Wishing you a nice day.
Thank you so much for the well wished! Same to you! The book takes on a whole new shine once you notice the little commentaries. Go ahead and read it again some day.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

I agree with the way you describe the book as one of those where the reader picks his/her favorite perspective. It was difficult for me to get through the parts I found least favorite. Thanks for the wonderful review.
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

poojkapadia wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 05:00 I agree with the way you describe the book as one of those where the reader picks his/her favorite perspective. It was difficult for me to get through the parts I found least favorite. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thank you for your comment! What was your favourite perspective? Who's story did you prefer?
erinrb13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinrb13.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by erinrb13 »

Great review! I just read this book as well and really enjoyed it, although I didn't really like the shift from 1st to 3rd person. My favorite perspective was Meldorath's.
Lila Randhawa
Currently Reading:

Post by Lila Randhawa »

ErikaP13 wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 14:29
poojkapadia wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 05:00 I agree with the way you describe the book as one of those where the reader picks his/her favorite perspective. It was difficult for me to get through the parts I found least favorite. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thank you for your comment! What was your favourite perspective? Who's story did you prefer?
I enjoyed reading Eldus Alderman’s story the most. An army of Riva Rohavi travelled across the kingdom, unnoticed by anyone, to attack Hillport is hard for me to believe.

The display of magic by Meldorath in the end was cool! Meldorath is an interesting character, I would like to read more about him.

I was eager to read Galen’s story, too, but I don’t think he did much in this book.

Whose story did you like the most?
Lila Randhawa
Currently Reading:

Post by Lila Randhawa »

erinrb13 wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 18:06 Great review! I just read this book as well and really enjoyed it, although I didn't really like the shift from 1st to 3rd person. My favorite perspective was Meldorath's.
I found the frequent shift in perspective distracting.
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

erinrb13 wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 18:06 Great review! I just read this book as well and really enjoyed it, although I didn't really like the shift from 1st to 3rd person. My favorite perspective was Meldorath's.
He was definitely one of my favourite characters
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

poojkapadia wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 23:48
ErikaP13 wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 14:29
I enjoyed reading Eldus Alderman’s story the most. An army of Riva Rohavi travelled across the kingdom, unnoticed by anyone, to attack Hillport is hard for me to believe.

The display of magic by Meldorath in the end was cool! Meldorath is an interesting character, I would like to read more about him.

I was eager to read Galen’s story, too, but I don’t think he did much in this book.

Whose story did you like the most?
Personally, I found Lord Eldus's perspective the most compelling. Galen seemed more a catalyst to me than a real perspective on its own. Kind of just someone to lead us into everything. I hope his story gets more solid in the next books
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

ErikaP13 wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 12:42 My personal favourite of these is when Lord Eldus's son equates his task of "inspiring the people" to manipulation
Though not my favorite, I loved this part too. His son, Marshus, is actually my favorite character.
Nice review!
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

poojkapadia wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 23:48 I enjoyed reading Eldus Alderman’s story the most.
Same here.
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

Daniel_ wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 01:20
ErikaP13 wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 12:42 My personal favourite of these is when Lord Eldus's son equates his task of "inspiring the people" to manipulation
Though not my favorite, I loved this part too. His son, Marshus, is actually my favorite character.
Nice review!
I really enjoyed Marshus. He was never exactly what I expected him to be, which is nice.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”