Official Review: The Lonesome Gun by John Temple

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Official Review: The Lonesome Gun by John Temple

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lonesome Gun" by John Temple.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lonesome Gun is a thrilling western about John Brand. A victim of the smallpox outbreak, Brand wore a potted and scarred face all his life. Once he overheard someone joke that his face was one “to frighten children and dogs.” Angry and taunted as a child, Brand’s only pleasure was hunting in the hills of Tennessee. Soon he earned a reputation as being a dead shot. Later, serving time in the Union army helped him further hone his skills as a deadly marksman. Meanwhile, Brand grew to over six feet tall and weighed just under 250 pounds, making him a force to be reckoned with.

Now, hoping to put a life of fighting behind him, Brand is riding into Rattler Butte, Montana. In search of a job as a cowhand, he is hoping for a quieter life. Unfortunately, fate has other plans. Immediately upon entering Rattler Butte, he is drawn into a fight at the local saloon. There he draws the ire of Cedar Bangston, son of the town bully. Immediately Brand has a target on his back. Will John Brand be able to survive in Rattler Butte and find the peace he is searching for? Or will Bangston and his gang of mongrels get the best of him?

I loved the author’s style of writing and his dry humor. The characters were all portrayed well, but my favorites have to be John Brand and Little Britches. One of my favorite scenes in the story was the humorous initial encounter between the two. Little Britches, a ten-year-old female, managed to quietly sneak up on a very surprised (but impressed!) Brand. Additionally, Temple used colloquialism to make the characters more realistic for their time. For example, Little Britches exclaims “Pa, we got us a visitor. And he’s a mighty big one, too. Git on inside but do it careful. Pa shoots quick.” The author also employed a couple of instances of foreshadowing, which will further pique the reader’s interest.

Given that I uncovered at least ten errors, I cannot rate this book with the perfect score that the story deserves. Based on the points noted above, I award The Lonesome Gun by John E. Temple 3 out of 4 stars. Other than the errors, there was nothing I could find to dislike about this book or suggest for improvement.

This story reminded me of my favorite Clint Eastwood sagas and would make an excellent movie. Readers who are fond of the western genre, or of Clint Eastwood, will be especially drawn to this story. Those not fond of western themes may choose to skip this book. However, I would still suggest giving this exciting novel a try. Reading of the beauty of Montana was a treat in itself.

Curse words (like h**l and d**n) only appeared a handful of times, so that was not a deterrent to my reading enjoyment at all. The fight scenes were not at all graphic, nor were there any love scenes. Therefore, this book is appropriate for all ages. I enthusiastically recommend this novel and hope to see more from John Temple soon!

The Lonesome Gun
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TIOJFORLIFE
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TIOJFORLIFE »

I really love western themed books. This book according to the review sounds like a very mouth watering book fIlled with danger, thrilling scenes and a wonderful story.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Such a bummer when we have to take off points from an otherwise fantastic book. I love western novels, and this one sounds great. Thanks for a great review!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I'm not usually a fan of westerns, so think I will give this one a miss. I find it really frustrating having to take off a star for poor editing, especially when the plot is fantastic. At least this way the author can benefit from the feedback and make improvements. Thanks for the review!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

What? Are you out of your mind, danielleamy? :lol2: Westerns are great.

The Lonesome Gun by John Temple doesn't seem impressive, but I will read it because i love Westerns. Thanks for your great review, Bluebird03. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors; however, westerns aren't a genre I enjoy whether in books, TV, or movies. I've just never been able to get into it. So, I think I'll pass. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

I am so glad to see other women love westerns. As I am the only one I know about. I am definitely going to read this book this was a great review. I love stories about gunfighters and stories where the underdog get Tuesday. This sounds like one of those so I am excited to read it. Thanks for the great review!

I didn’t mean get Tuesday I meant get their day! I cannot stay in predictive text on this iPhone. lol 😆
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

As a fan of Clint Eastwood and watching westerns with my dad, this book sounds like fun to me! I haven’t really read a lot of westerns, but your review made this one seem worth checking out. Too bad about the errors. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The encounter between John Brand and Little Britches is charming! I also enjoyed your description of Brand and how he developed in the story. Westerns are not usually a genre I read, but you have done an excellent job of persuading me about this one. Great review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

TIOJFORLIFE wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 12:36 I really love western themed books. This book according to the review sounds like a very mouth watering book fIlled with danger, thrilling scenes and a wonderful story.
You just described it perfectly. Thank you so much for commenting! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

unamilagra wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 22:39 Such a bummer when we have to take off points from an otherwise fantastic book. I love western novels, and this one sounds great. Thanks for a great review!
You are so right about the error deductions. If you are a western fan, you would love this novel. Thanks so much, unamilagra, for your comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

danielleamy wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 06:18 I'm not usually a fan of westerns, so think I will give this one a miss. I find it really frustrating having to take off a star for poor editing, especially when the plot is fantastic. At least this way the author can benefit from the feedback and make improvements. Thanks for the review!
Yes, it's very frustrating to know another round of editing might have caught a few of the errors. The plot was indeed fantastic. Thank you so much, danielleamy, for stopping in and for your insightful comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

LinaMueller wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 06:49 What? Are you out of your mind, danielleamy? :lol2: Westerns are great.

The Lonesome Gun by John Temple doesn't seem impressive, but I will read it because i love Westerns. Thanks for your great review, Bluebird03. :tiphat:
If you love westerns, I will be surprised if you don't like this one. But let me know. Thank you, Lina, for your comments....and for the video! :lol:
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 08:20 It's too bad about the errors; however, westerns aren't a genre I enjoy whether in books, TV, or movies. I've just never been able to get into it. So, I think I'll pass. Thanks!
I certainly understand. While I am not always a fan of the genre, I loved this book! Thank you, kandscreeley, for your visit and your comments!! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Janalyn101 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 08:46 I am so glad to see other women love westerns. As I am the only one I know about. I am definitely going to read this book this was a great review. I love stories about gunfighters and stories where the underdog get Tuesday. This sounds like one of those so I am excited to read it. Thanks for the great review!

I didn’t mean get Tuesday I meant get their day! I cannot stay in predictive text on this iPhone. lol 😆
If you love westerns that much, this book will not disappoint!! And I'm glad to see someone else has the same issues I do with the predictive text. :lol: Thank you so much for stopping in and for your kind words! :)

Return to “Historical Fiction”