Official Review: Almost My First Pet by Issomi Golden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Almost My First Pet by Issomi Golden

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Almost My First Pet" by Issomi Golden.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Almost My First Pet by Issomi Golden is a delightful children's story about a young boy named DJ. Like most kids, DJ wants a pet. Also like most kids, he has a big imagination and suggests many exotic animals that his mom could get for him as a pet. She finally agrees that he can have a pet if it adheres to a few reasonable rules. Although DJ decides he would like a fish, his mom assumes he wants a dog, so the responsibilities she says he will have (walking the pet, brushing the pet, etc.) produce funny results when DJ imagines doing them with a fish.

The premise of this book is hilarious, and it definitely captures the imagination of children. DJ is a well-meaning kid who intends to take care of his pet, and he really tries to understand how all the things his mom asks him to do could be done with a fish. His innocence will appeal to adults and children as they remember funny times when they were in conversations that became disconnected like the one between DJ and his mom.

Although I really enjoyed the premise, the execution of the book left a little to be desired. You can tell the author didn't hire a professional artist and probably made the drawings online. Every picture of the fish is the same one, just rotated in different directions. I think investment in an artist would definitely make this book look more professional.

I also think it could use a little editing to make it shorter and funnier. The author sometimes over-explains DJ's thoughts. This shouldn't be necessary for kids who will probably be able to relate to DJ.

In spite of these issues, I still rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't find any grammatical errors, and it's definitely a funny idea. With better pictures and some trimming of the text on each page, it could be a staple in all children's libraries.

I would recommend this book to kids ages 5-8, but I think younger children could enjoy it with the help of a parent, and older kids might find it funny even though it would be below their reading level.

Almost My First Pet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

What a cute book! My kids would love this. I like that it is a funny book about miscommunication. I hope DJ gets his fish in the end. Thanks for the wonderful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The cover is nice at least. I love the thought of the miscommunication between DJ and his mom. It sounds like a cute story for children. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

This sounds like a cute book! Your comment on making it shorter sounds like a good one to me. Little kids don't always have an attention span if books are over-explained or too long. Thanks for a great review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

You did a great job with the review. I can imagine DJ trying to walk the fish outdoors on a leash. Children will enjoy this book.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your review had me chuckling. Kids would love this story, and many of them would probably be able to relate to DJ. The communication confusion would be hilarious for the adults reading the story.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

This is a funny one. (Walking a fish and brushing it).Kids will definitely enjoy it.
Wonderful review.
Aaquanik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Aaquanik »

Me and my daughter loved the story.
Images are great too, although could be a little better.
I rate this 3/5
Great job 👍
Thankyou

Return to “Children's Books”