The Value of Education

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Re: The Value of Education

Post by Kibet Hillary »

KristyKhem wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 21:07 The author seems to value education very much!

He wrote about how empowered he felt when he learned his father was a lawyer. He once mentioned that Auntie Gertrude showed him off to her customers because he was a 'bright boy'. He also stated that he achieved A's in every subject, he was offered free lessons because he was a promising student, and he topped the country in his exams. He even won a scholarship. In one instance, he voiced his discontent at not being recognized for placing in the top three at the Special Assembly.

Do you think there was a big focus on education? And do you think did the author wanted to set himself apart from others in his life by focusing so much on his academic achievements?
It is true that the author has focused on academics very much but I believe he enjoyed studying which is not everybody's cup of tea. For whether he wanted to set himself apart or not, I cannot tell but perhaps he saw himself being better if he performed well academically.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 09:35
KristyKhem wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 21:07 The author seems to value education very much!

He wrote about how empowered he felt when he learned his father was a lawyer. He once mentioned that Auntie Gertrude showed him off to her customers because he was a 'bright boy'. He also stated that he achieved A's in every subject, he was offered free lessons because he was a promising student, and he topped the country in his exams. He even won a scholarship. In one instance, he voiced his discontent at not being recognized for placing in the top three at the Special Assembly.

Do you think there was a big focus on education? And do you think did the author wanted to set himself apart from others in his life by focusing so much on his academic achievements?
The book was definitely focused on education and I think the author really wanted readers to see the importance of being educated. He worked hard to achieve success and maybe he wanted to toot his own horn a little bit, but I think it is warranted as he had many obstacles to overcome.
It is true that the author values education and his life points to the fact that he has been working hard himself. His profile reveals that he's been an excellent performer starting from being the best in his home country and winning a scholarship to study in the US.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

The author's achievements in education seems to be his natural ability not exactly from hard work. Science majors especially may have an above average ability to memorize. Frank may have wanted to be seen for who he was and not his acedemic achievements. With natural ability, acedemic are easy compared to some people who must work very hard for their education. So much emphasis was placed on education that Frank may have been seen as only that not who he really was. Frank had passion to help which set him apart from other doctors.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The value of education is definitely inherent to this book. It was what brought him out of poverty at a time when Guyana was in tumult and it was what allowed him to see what the truth was in matters that could have gone in a very different direction. I don't think he was using it to set himself apart, however, but show how it allowed him to connect to others, like with the German lessons allowing him to create a social circle that offered their support when the time came for it. I also think the focus on awards and medals was to show others what you can be capable of if you work hard and with the kind of integrity he seemed to espouse.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

WaryReader wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 12:16 Definitely! Education is a powerful tool. Sooner or later, if you're an intelligent person, people will have to respect you at least a little bit, despite their own prejudices. :techie-studyingbrown:
I agree. It seems like being knowledgable and wise gives you a ticket to being respected by others no matter what your past is or whatever you define yourself. I think society has high regards for educational attainment, which has its pros and cons too.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Kelyn wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 14:47 I think there was a definite focus on education. The author seemed to want to show readers that dedication toward education (or anything else) can open many doors to opportunity and success.
This is true. Even in jobs and opportunities like further education, people tend to value you more as an asset when your educational background is vast. Though I slightly disagree that it alone could mostly lead to success, it sure is a privilege and a stepping stone to success. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

There definitely is a big focus on education. But I don't see anything wrong them placing such a great importance on it.
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

I can relate with the author's value on education. It's sort of hope in a person, raising your chances to have a better job which can result to a better income and life. Though sometimes, there's also politics in the educational system.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

cornelia_SD wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 05:23 I can relate with the author's value on education. It's sort of hope in a person, raising your chances to have a better job which can result to a better income and life. Though sometimes, there's also politics in the educational system.
Yeah. I think the author showed the political side very well with the Lehigh portion of his life. That he managed to push through it and learn from that experience just goes to show that education isn't just about learning what's in books.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

briellejee wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 21:59
WaryReader wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 12:16 Definitely! Education is a powerful tool. Sooner or later, if you're an intelligent person, people will have to respect you at least a little bit, despite their own prejudices. :techie-studyingbrown:
I agree. It seems like being knowledgable and wise gives you a ticket to being respected by others no matter what your past is or whatever you define yourself. I think society has high regards for educational attainment, which has its pros and cons too.
It does, but I don't think that's the only reason for why he was respected. One can have wisdom and knowledge without compassion, which is something I think he was trying to enforce. With every mention of his education, he talked about what he would use it for, rather than just highlighting his accolades.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

briellejee wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 22:08
Kelyn wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 14:47 I think there was a definite focus on education. The author seemed to want to show readers that dedication toward education (or anything else) can open many doors to opportunity and success.
This is true. Even in jobs and opportunities like further education, people tend to value you more as an asset when your educational background is vast. Though I slightly disagree that it alone could mostly lead to success, it sure is a privilege and a stepping stone to success. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
It is, but also his recognition of the system and how it was built on racism was also a form of education, I think. There are many ways to be taught and Dr. Douglas showed a lot of them.
Heatholt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heatholt »

The book was definitely focused on education. It was his means to enhance his existence. I think this message is really inspiring for the youth.
"We're all born naked and the rest is drag." - RuPaul Charles
:wink:
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Education is portrayed as very valuable for it made the author get to places that challenged the racists.
MysticalAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysticalangel.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by MysticalAngel »

The author had a lot of issues with getting a good education in Guana. Memoirs to me are always good to read because you get a sense of what is going on in different time periods as well as what struggles people had to go through. The struggles the author and his family had to go through because of their color in order for him to get an education is unreal. The fact that he persevered through all of it and made something of himself is wonderful. It is a book that I would love to read later on. I have read many books like this one and enjoy reading them it gives you a sense of what people had to go through. The living conditions and the struggles just to make ends meet and how people of color were passed over for white people was wrong. I am glad that the school system has changed that people are more equal now..
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

MysticalAngel wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 18:15 The author had a lot of issues with getting a good education in Guana. Memoirs to me are always good to read because you get a sense of what is going on in different time periods as well as what struggles people had to go through. The struggles the author and his family had to go through because of their color in order for him to get an education is unreal. The fact that he persevered through all of it and made something of himself is wonderful. It is a book that I would love to read later on. I have read many books like this one and enjoy reading them it gives you a sense of what people had to go through. The living conditions and the struggles just to make ends meet and how people of color were passed over for white people was wrong. I am glad that the school system has changed that people are more equal now..
I'd argue that there are still barriers in place, as evidenced by the problems experienced at MIT when he returned to working State side.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”