Official Review: Caldecott Activity Book: to be used wit...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Caldecott Activity Book: to be used wit...

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caldecott Activity Book: to be used with Kitten's First Full Moon, by Kevin Henkes" by Claudia Krause.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Caldecott Activity Book: to be used with Kitten’s First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes is a detailed activity book written for an adult, like a parent or teacher, to use with a child or class of children. The author, Claudia Krause, includes a range of activities that follow the book chronologically. These activities and discussion prompts encourage the child to think more deeply about the kitten’s thoughts and feelings while engaging in art, writing, math, and science.

This book has a much wider and more detailed range of activities than I expected when I selected it to review. The author has created multiple activities in different categories to go with each page of the original book. This works well for the adult coordinating the activities because they can choose one or two that work best for them from the many choices provided to accompany each page.

I especially enjoyed that the book included activities that pertained to every subject taught in school. One page of the book could inspire an art activity in which the children copy the drawing on the page, a writing activity in which kids find synonyms for a word used on the page, a science activity in which the kids learn more about cats, and a math activity in which the children count the number of fireflies on the page. It’s clear that the author has a great deal of experience with children and knows the types of activities that can hold their attention while inspiring them to think about the world around them.

I tried to find something to criticize about this book, but there really isn’t much that I would want changed. I think it would be easier for the adult if the author started a new page each time the activities coordinated with a new page of the original book. I also thought it would be nice to have a table of contents listing all the pages on which activities to teach a certain subject (art, writing, etc.) could be found. Finally, pages 64 and 65 of the book were blank, which may just be an issue with the pdf copy I received.

Overall, I would rate this activity book 4 out of 4 stars. It includes a wide range of ideas for activities that can be used by parents or teachers with individual children or classes. I only had a few small criticisms of the book, and I don’t think they’re reason enough to remove a star, especially because the book appears to be professionally edited. The activities in this book could be used for children ages 3 to 10, but an adult would definitely need to coordinate the activities because many of them require the internet or physical materials like paint and glue.

Caldecott Activity Book: to be used with Kitten's First Full Moon, by Kevin Henkes
View: on Bookshelves
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love being able to do activities along with reading a children's book. The kids would love that. I wonder how much the book is. I don't know if care givers would pay too much for it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

What a wonderful book to expand a child's knowledge while using the book Kitten's First Full Moon! It sounds as if there are a lot of different activities to do with each page, making it a fun and educational book at the same time. Great review!
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

I think parents who want to take part in their children's education, who have no idea how can find this book helpful.
Wonderful review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”