Official Review: Forever Faithful by Marilyn L. Reicks

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: Forever Faithful by Marilyn L. Reicks

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forever Faithful" by Marilyn L. Reicks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In today’s world, with its rapid cultural changes, it is difficult to find books offering stories of a genuine love of one’s family, friends, country, culture, and religion. Once in a while, a novel like Forever Faithful is refreshing to read because of the great values it depicts. Authored by Marilyn L. Reicks, this work of historical fiction has brilliant characters who are well developed and believable. With WWII in the background, it contains memories of the writer in rural America as it went through a great cultural change.

The cover page reveals a beautiful aerial view of the author’s ancestral farmland in Winneshiek County, Iowa. It has survived the two World Wars, moving from self-sufficiency and independence to increasingly global interdependence. There is a 160-year-old log house which has inspired this story, although its characters are the work of fiction. It is also a coming-of-age narrative written from a Christian perspective.

The story of Julia, the protagonist, resembles the author’s own past in some ways, e.g., she teaches in a one-room school with children from various grades studying at the same time. The young woman writes this chronicle in the first person. I really like her detailed description of various indoor as well as outdoor settings. As it progresses through the Great Depression and WWII, there are political, religious, cultural, and socioeconomic changes. Health care also develops. Julia lives with her parents, two brothers, and a sister. The elders are troubled about the moral and cultural changes brought by WWI and are afraid that the boys may have to go for war. As Catholics, they question the logic behind such violence and the morality of producing weapons.

Historic political events are mentioned. In spite of the atmosphere of suffering, family life with picnics, summertime activities, academics, and celebration of feast days is full of joy and entertainment. Biblical verses are quoted on various occasions to guide and strengthen the characters. I love how the author includes the procedure of canning vegetables and shares recipes of a variety of food items. Amidst these activities, Julia and Mark become friends. They love each other, and although Mark goes out for war, their relationship continues to deepen. Similarly, Julia’s brother, John, also enlists in the army. He loves Betty, a Lutheran whose mother is not happy with their relationship. What happens next? To know the rest of the story and why the name of this book is Forever Faithful, you must read the book. I was so moved that there were tears in my eyes.

Overall, it is an enjoyable read in spite of the background of WWII. The language is respectful, and the story models a good Christian life that withstands the suffering and cultural changes caused by it. There is nothing that I disliked about the book or its characters. I am pleased to award it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It has grammatical errors and typos, but they are not distracting. Nevertheless, if the text goes through another round of editing, it may receive a full rating. I recommend it to men and women of all age groups. Those interested in knowing about the effects of WWII may find it appealing. It is also a good read if you want some entertainment after an exhausting day.

Forever Faithful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Sounds like a religiously orthodox set up/back drop. I can already imagine the setting and find myself sypmathising with the story. Thank you for a great review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I am trying to imagine this book as a Hallmark movie despite not having read it yet. It does sound interesting. I would like to read it. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like a refreshing read with the respectful language and support of traditional values. It would be interesting to see what happened between the Lutheran and Catholic love affair in this time period. Great review.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It would be interesting to read about the views of a Christian family during WWII. I normally shy away from books that have religion in them, but the war does go against certain Christian beliefs. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Aww. This sounds lovely but so not my thing. I do enjoy how you leave us hanging on what happens with her brother and Betty though.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

It sounds like a well researched and well written historical fiction book. I love books written from a Christian perspective. Brilliant review, Renu G. Amazing work.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Historical Fiction”