Review by ObsessedBookNerd -- 30th Century: Escape (Firs...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Review by ObsessedBookNerd -- 30th Century: Escape (Firs...

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

[Following is a volunteer review of "30th Century: Escape (First Edition)" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century Escape by Mark Kingston Levin comprises of the best science fiction book of 2017. The book follows the leading character, Jennifer Heroes, who time travels from the 30th century to the 21st century. She is escaping the personal hardships and overwhelming sorrow of the 30th century, where she has tragically lost loved ones and had to fight against the Syndos. As a captain, it is her duty to complete the critical work of her deceased fiancée and properly cure the Syndos. Meanwhile, the Syndos are aggressively trying to eliminate the Naturals of humanity. She aids her teams to arrive at the 27th century to cure the Syndos through the Trans-Time One machine intentionally created by her late fiancée, Zexton Ho. Jennifer desperately wants to be free of her arduous duty of fighting the Syndos, so after she assists her elite teams to get where they needed to, she then escapes to the 21st century. She lands on an abandoned French Polynesian island, the Moruroa Atoll. Jennifer is recovered by Professor Marty Zitonick and his experienced crew of academic researchers. She must learn to adapt to this archaic time while concealing the facts of her past. Escaping might have been what Jennifer was hoping for but instead, she is going to learn more about herself and her unique history. While taking on the local identity of a missing girl with an identical name, Jennifer will explore this new time period and discover more about her past.

There were many things that I greatly disliked. The book maintains an extremely rapid pace, and it caused the book to seem all over the place. The novel doesn’t frequently experience a peaceful period; there is consistently a crisis or a thrilling adventure. On top of that, there are many sex scenes in the book. These scenes caused me to cringe because they felt rigid and unemotional. There are some scenes where I could not relate to the characters because they felt unrealistic. For example, most of the characters are in a swinger relationship. It felt odd to read about most couples in the novel being okay with threesomes or allowing their partners to enjoy a side relationship with someone else. The ending of the book is also abrupt and produced the book to feel unfinished. To a considerable extent, I disliked the writing style, how I couldn’t relate to characters or how the sex scenes were written.

There were a few things I genuinely enjoyed about the story.
The author did a great job of aiding the reader to follow the science and math of the book. I am not extremely knowledgeable in these subjects, but the way the author wrote these scenes made it very easy to understand and follow along. Pictures/diagrams are also shown to undoubtedly help visualize locations and futuristic technology. I equally enjoyed the ideas that the author conceived of technology and how he used the science/math that we have today. He was skilled with scientific information to back up the possibility of one day being able to achieve this goal and develop the technology. For example, Jennifer has nanotechnology in her body that fortifies her and prevents her from being sick. She is equally capable to heal more rapidly and doesn’t age normally. She is in her 40s but looks to be in her 20s. In addition, Jennifer is a determined and confident character with vulnerable moments. She has experienced many hardships in her life but nevertheless summons the will to keep on living. She is confident in her body and sexuality. Another key thing I genuinely appreciated was the unique twist that the author put in at the end of the book.

I think this work is for readers who enjoy the science fiction genre.
I also think that readers who typically want to read a book on time travel along with the potential obstacles that naturally come with it.
Readers who are looking for a strong female lead will equally enjoy the story. I don’t recommend this book to readers under the age of 18 years old. People who are offended by multiple sexual partners or homosexual/bisexual relationships will also be unable to enjoy this book.

I rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars. I didn’t display it as 1 star because it was surprising how well the reader could follow the science/math within the story. I equally enjoyed the unique twists that the author expressed in the book. I didn't notice any spelling or grammatical errors; the book seems to be professionally edited. I didn’t display 3 stars to it because I dislike that I had trouble relating to the characters and how poorly the intimate scenes were written. The pace of the book equally made it hard to follow the story. All things considered, I do think many readers will find this story enjoyable and will want to continue to go on to read the second book.

30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ObsessedBookNerd's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I love sci-fi/time travel books and also appreciate those with fast-paced storylines. It keeps me from getting bored. I don't think I would have much difficulty with the "relationships" in the book either. At this point, I have read so much of so many different genres that nothing really phases me anymore. I think I'll give this one a try. Thanks for the review. I would never have found it otherwise!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This one seems too sprawling for me in its plot. Thanks for the balanced review and for finding what was good and what didn’t work for you. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like fast-paced science fiction novels, but this one doesn't really appeal to me. It seems the action is too fast. I don't mind some sex in a book, but not the kind that is described here - casually and with multiple partners. Thanks for a wonderful review!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Thank you for the balanced review - I believe that I would have the same issues with the book that you did. I will probably skip this one!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I loved your review! Your express clear likes and dislikes that gave me a good idea of what is in this book. Your review was very helpful in helping me make a decision about reading it or not. Thanks.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Writing sex scenes to be enjoyable to read is a true talent for authors. This one appears not to have that! I might enjoy the rest of the book - thank you for the thorough review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”