Official Review: Modern Times by Peter Morgan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Official Review: Modern Times by Peter Morgan

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Modern Times" by Peter Morgan.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peter Morgan’s Modern Times is a collection of short satirical pieces (written from the British perspective) covering a wide variety of topics, such as healthcare, politics, genetically modified food, the environment, and even space travel. In addition, there is also a short science fiction narrative inserted at the end. By writing and publishing Modern Times, Morgan hopes to spur his audience to take a closer look at the problems present in our society today, in the hopes of motivating them to do their part to solve these problems to create a better world to live in.

Morgan’s desire to better the world we live in is certainly admirable; however, Modern Times is unfortunately an inadequate representation of said desire. There are numerous structural and technical errors present, which regrettably and significantly prevented me from enjoying the read. Hence, I will first proceed to rate Peter Morgan’s Modern Times 1 out of 4 stars, before explaining my rationale for doing so.

Firstly, as mentioned, Modern Times is a collection of satirical writing on various social issues (one issue per chapter). However, these pieces are rather short (each one is only about a couple of pages long), which makes them seem extremely rushed, with no proper development – also, the criticism present in each chapter unavoidably becomes superficial, without providing much food for thought. In fact, the more one reads, the more they seem like Morgan’s angry vents about the problems in society, instead of what he intended his book to be: thought-provoking criticism of the various social problems present in today’s society.

Then, coupled with the lack of connectivity between topics, the book becomes a messy jumble of discussion topics. For example, one chapter could be about the current generation’s obsession with technology, but the very next one jumps to shopping in supermarkets. This definitely broke reading flow and made it difficult to maintain focus. Moreover, the short science fiction narrative placed at the end is very much out of place in a satirical read, and the overall coherency of the book would be improved if it were removed and developed into a separate work.

Next, Morgan utilises the same satirical tool of exaggeration throughout most of his pieces, which led Modern Times to inevitably become long-winded and tedious to read, despite being only 200-odd pages long. It would definitely benefit much if Morgan could mix up his styles a little, in order to retain the reader’s attention.

Furthermore, what I found most distressing is Morgan’s use of ethnic slurs in some of his writing. In his piece about unemployment, he refers to the Japanese as “Japs” and “Nips”, which are derogatory and racist terms. One might argue that this is permissible due to the fact that Morgan is writing satire, but I strongly beg to differ – as an author, one must always be aware of the various racial and political insinuations that arise during the writing process, especially when one is referring to individuals of other races.

Lastly, there are also many grammar and punctuation errors in the book, such as wrongly placed commas and incorrectly used pronouns, which detracted significantly from the reading flow. Most urgently, I would suggest that Morgan work with his editor to solve the various issues present; I would also like to reiterate that depth is more important than breadth, especially in genres like social criticism. As it is, I can only recommend Modern Times to people who have strong interests in satirical writing regarding British social problems.

Modern Times
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

It's sad to read that the book got a rating of 1 star. I hope they did the errors and make the book more enjoyable.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:

Post by Shadiid »

:| It's sad to read that the book got a rating of 1 star. I hope they did the errors and make the book more enjoyable.
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Shadiid wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 07:35 It's sad to read that the book got a rating of 1 star. I hope they did the errors and make the book more enjoyable.
The book definitely has potential, so it can only become better. Thank you for stopping by! (:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The author's intention was wonderful and indeed called for in our current generation. I would have liked it a lot if he had been able to deliver this but it seems the book falls short of this expectation. Thanks for the thorough review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Kibetious wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 11:23 The author's intention was wonderful and indeed called for in our current generation. I would have liked it a lot if he had been able to deliver this but it seems the book falls short of this expectation. Thanks for the thorough review.
Indeed, I wholly agree with you, and I certainly hope that there will be editing happening. Thanks for stopping by!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds interesting. I like a good satirical piece from time to time. It does sound like this one had its fair share of issues, though. Thanks but no thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shadiid
Currently Reading:

Post by Shadiid »

gen_g wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 10:19
Shadiid wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 07:35 It's sad to read that the book got a rating of 1 star. I hope they fix the errors and make the book more enjoyable.
The book definitely has potential, so it can only become better. Thank you for stopping by! (:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 12:39 It sounds interesting. I like a good satirical piece from time to time. It does sound like this one had its fair share of issues, though. Thanks but no thanks.
It was an OK read, although it could definitely benefit much from organisation and depth. Hopefully the author will work on those issues. Thanks for stopping by!
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

While his criticism of social issues are laudable, I sense the book will be an absolute torture to read.

Thanks for your honesty.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Michelle Fred wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 01:35 While his criticism of social issues are laudable, I sense the book will be an absolute torture to read.

Thanks for your honesty.
I believe that these issues will be solved with rigorous editing, so hopefully that will happen! Thank you for stopping by.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It's too bad this book missed the mark for you. Thanks for the honest review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Long-winded sentences and ethnic slurs do take away from the author's message. You have more than justified the low rating. Thanks for your honest review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 09:58 It's too bad this book missed the mark for you. Thanks for the honest review.
The book has potential, so I hope the author will continue editing! Thanks for stopping by.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

kdstrack wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 11:39 Long-winded sentences and ethnic slurs do take away from the author's message. You have more than justified the low rating. Thanks for your honest review.
It definitely does. Thank you for stopping by!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”