Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mistress Suffragette" by Diana Forbes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Penelope Stanton is in a quandary where her reputation and her social status is challenged. Should she bend her morals to accommodate a married man to secure herself financially? Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes takes place during the 'Panic' of 1893 when financial institutions were upended leveling the social classes and making the 'haves' appear more like the 'have-nots'. Penelope is given a chance to be a mistress where she will be provided with an abundance of money and material items. As a 'kept woman', she can have anything she desires. But, what is the cost of this? Both her dignity and good name would forever be tarnished. Is the tradeoff worth it?

I enjoyed the tension created by Penelope jumping into the fledgling women's movement while at the same time, she desires marriage and a life of monetary stability with a spouse. In addition, her mother adds pressure making it quite clear that she needs to find her daughter a worthy suitor. A wealthy one is preferred. The conversations between the two women are laced with humor as they go to battle over Penelope's future.

I liked the way this author played with words. Such as, "Never had I encountered so much talk of Movements while being permitted so little movement." In this instance, Penelope was feeling trapped by her mother's overbearing personality, and I thought that line was quite hilarious. There are more of these thoughts and dialogues throughout the book as readers witness how the young and the old clash in their way of thinking regarding dating, appropriate wardrobes, and marriage. With Penelope and her mother at odds, it adds an element of depth to the surrounding themes of womanhood and value.

There wasn't anything I didn't like about this novel. For those who enjoy historical fiction, I think this one would be quite appealing. The various and slight romantic scenes are not too graphic, so for those readers who shy away from that, they might find these scenarios tolerable.

I am giving this 4 out of 4 stars for its superb storyline that depicts the rise of women's rights but the need for both sexes to work in unity. There was only one slight error that I found, so this excellently written book seems to have been professionally edited.

In closing, I will ask again: Will Penelope throw away her self respect for money? You will have to read the book to find out, and the ending has a twist that is so well done it left me with a big smile of satisfaction.

Mistress Suffragette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Everything happens for a reason...
Ikigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikigai.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Ikigai »

The different opinions of mother-daughter generations seem to have little in common in the history of humanity. This contrast, along with Penelope's heavy decision, makes this book appealing. I enjoyed reading your review and definitely, helped me to decide to read the book. Thank you!
Queen Books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-books.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Queen Books »

This sounds like a great book and something I would be very interested in reading. I love the theme of conflicting ideas between generations and your review just makes me want to read this book even more. Thanks ^^
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Ikigai wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 00:28 The different opinions of mother-daughter generations seem to have little in common in the history of humanity. This contrast, along with Penelope's heavy decision, makes this book appealing. I enjoyed reading your review and definitely, helped me to decide to read the book. Thank you!
I think the mother daughter aspect is timeless. I see this conflict go on in the store even in present day! 😊 Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Queen Books wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 04:43 This sounds like a great book and something I would be very interested in reading. I love the theme of conflicting ideas between generations and your review just makes me want to read this book even more. Thanks ^^
I debated so long over this and deciding to go ahead and review it. By chapter one, I was all in. I was glad I gave it a chance. Thanks for reading my review, and I hope you get a chance to check it out! 😊
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like an interesting book, set in a unique era in our history. It's one I've seen reviewed before. The protagonist seems like a strong woman who's trying to get out from under her mother. Thanks for the review. It's one I've got on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

Wow! This sounds like an awesome story. I am definitely interested to see how Penelope confronts her competing desires for independence and stability. Thanks for a wonderful review!
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The mother-daughter conversations you described sound funny. Thanks for the recommendation.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Penelope has quite a dilemma. Your comments about her final decision have me intrigued. I also have this one on my list. Thanks for the compelling review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

What an interesting storyline! I am intrigued by your comments about what she will decide in the end. I will be putting this one on my reading list. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 09:53 This definitely sounds like an interesting book, set in a unique era in our history. It's one I've seen reviewed before. The protagonist seems like a strong woman who's trying to get out from under her mother. Thanks for the review. It's one I've got on my list.
I debated so long on this one, and I was so glad I went forward with it! Thanks for dropping in for a read. I appreciate it. 😊
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kelseydwf wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 11:53 Wow! This sounds like an awesome story. I am definitely interested to see how Penelope confronts her competing desires for independence and stability. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Thank you for reading my review! It’s a good book! 😊
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kdstrack wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 16:28 Penelope has quite a dilemma. Your comments about her final decision have me intrigued. I also have this one on my list. Thanks for the compelling review!
This book was so well done! Thanks for reading my review!
garlicclove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garlicclove.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by garlicclove »

Historical dramas about kept women are one of my special interests and if this one is written with the kind of humor you describe, I'll have to give it a read.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

garlicclove wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 18:33 Historical dramas about kept women are one of my special interests and if this one is written with the kind of humor you describe, I'll have to give it a read.
I think you will enjoy it. Thanks for reading my review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”