Official Review: Saint Bob Day by K. C. Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Saint Bob Day by K. C. Wilson

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Saint Bob Day" by K. C. Wilson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

" 'Bob,' said Karl, 'you can live a hundred years. It won't get any better than this. Today was the very best day of your life. It's all downhill from here.' "

Formerly Bob Deighton, a trucking executive now in the Witness Protection Program, Bob Day is a sixty-one-year-old maintenance worker at the North Florida oceanfront Belle Rive Lodge resort. His "secret sport of nicknaming" the resort guests lightens the monotony of his days. However, after his heroic lifesaving of three guests on the same day, Bob receives his own nickname. Saint Bob Day, by K. C. Wilson, follows his story after his quiet life and low profile are threatened and guests begin to die. Will Bob's past jeopardize his future?

This strength of this 190-page book is the character development, particularly the well-developed and likable protagonist. This is admirable in light of the "eww-factor" that Bob's interest in a reporter who is younger than his daughter evokes; fortunately, he is redeemed by exercising self-control. Many of Bob's witty one-liners are humorous, as is his tendency toward self-deprecation. The "bane of his existence,” Constance, seems to be the only one immune to Bob's pithy comments. However, their relationship transitions slightly over the course of the story. His work sidekick and nickname partner, Karl, is a previously self-employed painter, whose personality clashes with their supervisor, an alpha former Navy Master Chief, Edwin. Another character who stands out is David Moriarty, the resort's tightly wound general manager, whose nicknames include "King David" and "Davidicus Maximus;" he is eventually taken in by the wiles of Ari. As Ari's character evolution is significant to the plot, I won't reveal any spoilers.

Unfortunately, the writing style becomes more crass than witty. I dislike the crude profanity, and I don't appreciate derogatory references to women such as "Thunderthighs" or "That Bitch," which overshadow Bob's supposed discomfort with the labels. While the beginning of the plot is fast-paced and engaging, the portions after Ari's arrival at the resort drag at times.

Additionally, the book needs another round of editing, as the number of grammatical and punctuation errors necessitates the deduction of stars. Overall, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy reading humorous mysteries and don't object to crass humor. On the other hand, it includes profanity, drug use, and gross violence which some readers may prefer to avoid.

Saint Bob Day
View: on Bookshelves
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

What a great review about seemingly a very interesting book. Although I too do not like craziest language in a book I find it pointless and lowers the quality of the book in my opinion. This does seem like an interesting book though and I think I’m going to read it thanks!
Ikigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikigai.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Ikigai »

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any interest in this book. Although, your review is great, I don't think I'll pick this story anytime soon. Thank you for your recommendation!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Janalyn101 wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 08:03 What a great review about seemingly a very interesting book. Although I too do not like craziest language in a book I find it pointless and lowers the quality of the book in my opinion. This does seem like an interesting book though and I think I’m going to read it thanks!
Thanks for your comment, Janalyn.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ikigai wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 08:20 Unfortunately, I couldn't find any interest in this book. Although, your review is great, I don't think I'll pick this story anytime soon. Thank you for your recommendation!
Thanks for stopping by and for reading my review. :tiphat:
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Wonderful review! I completely agree with your comments. I'm also bothered by crude profanity and derogatory references to women. Thanks for a great review! :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

mmm17 wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 10:58 Wonderful review! I completely agree with your comments. I'm also bothered by crude profanity and derogatory references to women. Thanks for a great review! :tiphat:
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed the idea of the main character being in the Witness Protection and the humor included in the story. But, "it was all downhill from there." Thanks for the alerts. Another great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 10:41 I enjoyed the idea of the main character being in the Witness Protection and the humor included in the story. But, "it was all downhill from there." Thanks for the alerts. Another great review!
Thank you for your kind comments. :tiphat:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It's too bad about the profanity and poor editing. At least the characters were well-developed! Thanks for the honest review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 10:02 It's too bad about the profanity and poor editing. At least the characters were well-developed! Thanks for the honest review!
Thanks for your comment, Stephanie.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The crassness of the humour isn't really a bother, but I can't help but wonder if the derogatory names for women are really necessary. Ari's character seems mildly interesting though, given that yo mentioned that Ari is significant to the plot yet connected to a side character and not Bob.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”