Suggestions for Bookshelves and Social Media

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Suggestions for Bookshelves and Social Media

Post by Noosh »

Hey everyone! :)

So, first of all, why don't we have a LGBT+ Genre on the list? Actually, the Genre list is too short. So, maybe add more to the list or allow the users add them? This would help us find the books easily and it expands the shelves here (by adding lgbt books).

My second suggestions is adding IG to our social media. I know, I did mention it on another topic today but I think I should repeat it again: Most of us use instagram, right? I have an active bookstagram account where I post about books at least once a week. So, if we can share the books that we have reviewed here on our IG stories I think we can have more views...

Does anyone agree?
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm not so sure about IG but I'm definitely behind expanding the genre list.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Noosh

Post by Noosh »

Nisha Ward wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 04:32 I'm not so sure about IG but I'm definitely behind expanding the genre list.
Okay, respect to the IG thing :)
Yey! Expand the Genre List! :techie-studyinggray:
Lemony Snicket
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I hear you about the genre list (and I think I may bring up adding LGBTQ+ as a separate genre. I love that idea!), but Scott is usually not in favor of adding new genres without a really good reason. (As you can see, several genres are lumped together on the forums.)

As for the genres on Bookshelves, there is an option members can use to designate more specific genres/subjects. While it isn't a perfect solution, the tagging system allows you to add sub-genre and other subject designations, and you can then click on the tag to see what other books have had it added to it. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Noosh

Post by Noosh »

Gravy wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 06:15 I hear you about the genre list (and I think I may bring up adding LGBTQ+ as a separate genre. I love that idea!), but Scott is usually not in favor of adding new genres without a really good reason. (As you can see, several genres are lumped together on the forums.)

As for the genres on Bookshelves, there is an option members can use to designate more specific genres/subjects. While it isn't a perfect solution, the tagging system allows you to add sub-genre and other subject designations, and you can then click on the tag to see what other books have had it added to it. :tiphat:

Also, it just occurred to me, a book doesn't belong to just one specific genre. I mean, a book can be YA and Fantasy and a Retelling. This is more specific. I was trying to add the genre of a book on the bookshelves and found out that I could only choose one. It's not cool.

Also, I love your profile picture <3 :)
Lemony Snicket
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Gravy wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 06:15 I hear you about the genre list (and I think I may bring up adding LGBTQ+ as a separate genre. I love that idea!), but Scott is usually not in favor of adding new genres without a really good reason. (As you can see, several genres are lumped together on the forums.)

That's fair and thanks for mentioning that! I didn't know how that worked.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Noosh wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 07:50

Also, it just occurred to me, a book doesn't belong to just one specific genre. I mean, a book can be YA and Fantasy and a Retelling. This is more specific. I was trying to add the genre of a book on the bookshelves and found out that I could only choose one. It's not cool.

Thank you. :D

I know what you mean.
I believe there is a tagging feature (much like on Bookshelves) for reviews on the list of things to be added. :tiphat:

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Nisha Ward wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 13:09

That's fair and thanks for mentioning that! I didn't know how that worked.
:tiphat:

I try to always add at least one tag when I get done reading a book. (Though I think I've been failing at that recently. :oops: )
It's interesting seeing what gets added. :shock: :lol:

Noosh

Post by Noosh »

Gravy wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 19:20

I know what you mean.
I believe there is a tagging feature (much like on Bookshelves) for reviews on the list of things to be added. :tiphat:

Yeah, about that. I can add the genre of a book on the bookshelves, and the publisher or the publication date but not the tagging feature. :eusa-think:
Can you help me with that?
Lemony Snicket
Noosh

Post by Noosh »

Noosh wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 23:02

I know what you mean.

Yeah, about that. I can add the genre of a book on the bookshelves, and the publisher or the publication date but not the tagging feature. :eusa-think:
Don't worry, I got it. Gotta be a moderator to do that. and I ain't no moderator yet.
Lemony Snicket
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Noosh wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 01:37

I know what you mean.

Don't worry, I got it. Gotta be a moderator to do that. and I ain't no moderator yet.

You should be able to add tags to books.

What does it say on the tagging feature?

Noosh

Post by Noosh »

Gravy wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 20:22
Noosh wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 01:37

You should be able to add tags to books.

What does it say on the tagging feature?

I added a book to my shelves and here, look:

Subgenre Hashtags for Wolfsong (Green Creek #1)

No hashtags for Wolfsong (Green Creek #1) have been added yet. Sad Face

Effective May 29th 2019, you must have moderator privileges to add hashtags to a book.
Lemony Snicket
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Huh... :eusa-think:

Not sure why that may have changed.

Noosh

Post by Noosh »

Gravy wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 03:02 Huh... :eusa-think:

Not sure why that may have changed.
I think I read somewhere that if we have at least 100 posts on the forums then we can apply for moderator? If that's correct then I'll be adding tags left and right soon :D (hopefully)
Lemony Snicket
quirky_scorpio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quirky-scorpio.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by quirky_scorpio »

i also agree that adding instagram will really be good for all of us.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”