Official Review: The Mayor of Successive Miracles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Official Review: The Mayor of Successive Miracles

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mayor of Successive Miracles" by Hamlin Tallent.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mayor of Successive Miracles centered on Jack Grant. In fact, in Jack’s world, the entire universe revolves around him. From an early age, Jack has learned to suck up to the right people, delegate the tasks he doesn’t want to be concerned with, and sabotage others to make himself appear more grandiose. To advance his military career, Jack married the daughter of an admiral. To cover for an embarrassing showing in a flight exercise, he took credit for shooting down MIGs (which his wingman fired upon). Then Jack talked said wingman into going along. To further the lie, he destroyed the actual tape of the flight and substituted a blank one. Rather than being seen as a clown, he was a hero.

One of Jack’s fellow officers joked that if there were a place in Heaven called Successive Miracles, Jack would be its mayor. Jack always seems to get away with every horrific choice he makes. It doesn’t matter to him that lives are sometimes lost as a result. Now, much to his surprise, the actual tape of his flight (where MIGs were shot down) was not destroyed. It has surfaced and threatens to undo every success Jack has gained. Will the actual tape be exposed? Will Jack continue pretending and causing more casualties?

I loved the fast pace of this plot. At just under 400 pages, there was not one moment that I was bored or wished the plot would move faster. The personalities of the characters were well developed, and I found them to be realistic and relatable. Probably everyone knows at least one “Jack” in their lives, who gets away with anything and always seems to come out on top.

Also, I appreciated that since most of this novel took place in a Navy setting, the author carefully explained the terms that might be unfamiliar to readers. To further assist readers, Tallent includes a detailed glossary at the end of the novel. Unfortunately, I found more than ten errors. However, they did not at all interfere with my reading pleasure. In this fast-paced story, I could find nothing to dislike. Therefore, I award The Mayor of Successive Miracles by Hamlin Tallent 3 out of 4 stars, deducting a single point for the errors.

This intriguing novel should appeal to anyone interested in reading books that relate to the Navy. Also, those who have suffered through working alongside a “Jack” in their workplace will especially like this book. Even those with no interest in naval war stories whatsoever may still want to give this book a try. The coarse language will be a turn off to many. Because there are numerous references to sexual encounters (although nothing too graphic), this book may not be appropriate for many readers, including young adults. I cannot recommend it highly enough, as I thoroughly enjoyed this story in its entirety!

The Mayor of Successive Miracles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

Navy sounds good to me.. I would definitely have a look at this one..Thanks for reviewing
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Great review! I like your idea that probably everyone at least knows one "Jack" in their lives... 😉. I felt like I was reading along with you. Thanks for the review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Charlie19 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 02:22 Navy sounds good to me.. I would definitely have a look at this one..Thanks for reviewing
I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the Navy pilots and some of the terms they use. Thank you, Charlie19, for stopping by and commenting! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Magnify3 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 07:34 Great review! I like your idea that probably everyone at least knows one "Jack" in their lives... 😉. I felt like I was reading along with you. Thanks for the review!
It sounds as if you know a "Jack" too.... Thank you, Magnify3, for your very kind words! :)
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love that it is just a fast-paced book with a lot of action and I believe I would enjoy it. I agree that most of us do know a "Jack" that takes credit for other people's accomplishments. Thank you for a great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Jack sounds like quite the character! The author has created this interesting character with an intriguing plot. Your review is very persuasive. Great job!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a very exciting and engaging read. I hope Jack finally gets his due! Great review!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

A good piece of work! The plot is perfectly described in the review. I think I will read this book someday.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

Jack seems to be a very proud, arrogant, selfish, self-centered and attention-seeking man. I definitely enjoyed your review and I also think that the book is wonderfully written and I would like to read it.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Great review. Its true that one must never judge a book by its cover. What a plot twist. Sounds like a dramatic novel exposing the uglies of your normal "Jack". Thank you for the review
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hate Jack already; I do hope he gets what's coming to him and grows up a bit. I don't think this book is for me, but I did enjoy your review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Prisallen wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 11:01 I love that it is just a fast-paced book with a lot of action and I believe I would enjoy it. I agree that most of us do know a "Jack" that takes credit for other people's accomplishments. Thank you for a great review!
Yes, I think "Jack's" are a part of life. Thank you, Prisallen, for your very kind comments. :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

kdstrack wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 16:04 Jack sounds like quite the character! The author has created this interesting character with an intriguing plot. Your review is very persuasive. Great job!
Yes, Jack was something...I think I've known a few. Thank you, kdstrack, for your very kind words. :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

unamilagra wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 22:01 This sounds like a very exciting and engaging read. I hope Jack finally gets his due! Great review!
Just a few pages into the book, I was hoping Jack's karma would catch up with him.... Thank you, unamilagra, for your lovely comments! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”