Official Review: A Lawyer's Guide to Creating a Life, Not...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: A Lawyer's Guide to Creating a Life, Not...

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Lawyer's Guide to Creating a Life, Not Just a Living" by Paula Black.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In A Lawyer’s Guide to Creating a Life, Not Just a Living, a non-fiction book, Paula Black addresses some of the challenges, obstacles, and myths lawyers face in their careers. The author is an experienced coach who explains and illustrates “ten bedrock principles” for lawyers “to advance in the profession without sacrificing their personal lives.” Interviews with twenty-two lawyers and four experts are transcribed and analyzed by Black throughout the book, with takeaways at the end of each chapter. The book is a short, inspiring compilation of true stories meant to instigate readers to reflect on their careers.

The author investigates and discusses the experiences of seasoned men and women who have overcome various obstacles and found their true callings. The interviews are numerous and diverse. Black talks to judges, lawyers, strategists, and professors of different genders, ages, nationalities, and ethnicities. These individuals' backgrounds may be different, but their narratives have a common element – they share the dream of simultaneously attaining a happier life and a successful, balanced career.

I particularly enjoyed Candice Duff’s interview and remarks. I admired her career journey as an African American attorney, published novelist, and book writing coach. I also thought it was a great idea to bring up a discussion about retirement. I enjoyed the insights of Cathy Pareto, an independent registered investment adviser, on the subject. I also liked to see the interviewees’ pictures – it was nice to see the human face behind each life story. I felt as if I were actually talking to each person.

The way the author weaves a personal dialogue with the reader makes the book a fast, easy read. The direct language and recommendations make it a motivational handbook, distinguishing it from the garden-variety self-help titles. I believe it can be a useful tool for everyone, especially law students and professionals. The author comes across as a well-meaning person, as well as experienced and passionate about the principles she presents in an enthusiastic and organized manner.

Lastly, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I found no negative aspects to mention. It is well edited, with just a few minor errors. I believe it will appeal to readers who are interested in career coaching, particularly law students or lawyers. I’m sure there will be a couple of takeaways for each reader, regardless of their profession or career path. Readers who don’t value self-help titles might not like it as much.

A Lawyer's Guide to Creating a Life, Not Just a Living
View: on Bookshelves
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I am a Chemistry student so this book doesn't really address my field, but I am still interested in reading it. Thanks for sharing.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm not really interested in this but it seems like anyone with an ambitious career might want to read this as it could provide great insight into managing your own personal life and goals. Thanka for reviewing, m!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

Considering that law is subjective to each country and/or state, would you say this book would have value to any person anywhere who is involved in the law somehow? I'm assuming the interviews are mainly focussed around people who practice in the same legal community.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I work for lawyers, but I'm not interested in law. I don't think this is a book for me. However, I'm glad it's well done! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ikigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikigai.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Ikigai »

I have no connection or knowledge of lawyer's field, but the “ten bedrock principles” sound like a productive way of balancing professional career with personal life. I might give it a try. Great review! Thanks!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a user-friendly and helpful resource. Thanks for the recommendation.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Great review and thank you. I am not a law student, but I love the part where you said the book qualifies for a motivational handbook. Its sounds helpful. Thank you for the recommendation
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I liked this statement the most -: These individuals' backgrounds may be different, but their narratives have a common element – they share the dream of simultaneously attaining a happier life and a successful, balanced career.

Thanks for the review !
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Authors who do their research are able to produce interesting books, no matter the subject. Thanks for your informative review of this book.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Creating a life not just a living, this title seems not only for Lawyers or those who study law. But it pertains to a general approach. I guess this book is worth reading. Hope I can find time for this book. Nice review. Thanks.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

From your review, it seems like a good read. I think everyone should be interested in law-related topics because we all have to deal with one law or another at one point or the other. I will add it to my shelf. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”