Official Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hallowed Ground" by Cindy Ziperman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman is a fictional, historical and romance novel. When nurse Samantha Paige is fired from hitting a surgeon, she chooses to live with her Uncle Rufus and Nellie on a farm in Tennessee. She wanted to relax and to enjoy living on the farm, as she began a new phase in her life. However, she gets involved in a dangerous land battle between TJ’s objective to preserve the Franklin Civil War Battlefield and the Roberts Construction Company’s objective to build a shopping mall and amusement park. A criminal organization is involved with the construction plan, so things get heated up and dangerous when the plans are blocked.

Samantha, TJ, and Uncle Rufus all become targets to be persuaded and forced to go along with the construction plan that would develop the land. To what lengths would the Roberts Construction Company go to force the opposing team?

Running alongside the land battle is a romance story of Samantha and TJ. At first, Samantha tries not to be interested in TJ, but as time unfolds and they find themselves surviving attacks, sparks fly. Their relationship develops along with the plot and fits right into the story.

The book had many surprising, shocking, and suspenseful moments towards the latter half of the story. My mouth actually fell wide open several times as I read the events that unfolded. I liked that things were tied up neatly in the end and that the plot was consistent throughout the story. I best liked that the characters were well developed. Samantha found out things that helped her be more accepting of herself and others. TJ’s character was consistent and dependable. The antagonists were despicable, while other characters were questionable in their loyalty and actions.

I disliked that Samantha’s headstrong character sometimes led her to folly. She seemed to act compulsively and rushed into thinking that she was the only one to solve any problems or obstacles. However, this behavior was consistent with having years of experience as a critical care coordinator in a hospital and added a feeling of danger to the story.

I least liked the actions and words of Delbert when he first met Samantha. His character was disgusting. He and his brother were depicted as slightly dim-witted and were hired by Derek Roberts to persuade and to use force against TJ, so he would stop blocking the mall construction.

I rate Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman 3 out of 4 stars. One star is deducted because of the more than ten grammatical errors found in the book. The characters were well developed, and the plot was cohesive throughout the book earning a three star and not a two-star review.

If you do not like to read steamy romances or books that contain violence and murder, you may want to avoid this book. Otherwise, people who like stories with a mixture of suspense, mystery, and romance will like this book the most. I would not recommend this book to children or young teens because of violence, cursing, and sexual content.

Hallowed Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Thank you for writing a great review! The premise of this book sounds interesting. I really like reading about strong female leads and Samantha seems like one. I'm sure she had a good reason to hit that surgeon.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the historical setting included in the story. Your "jaw-dropping" moments are also intriguing! Great review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I have to admit when I saw the cover of the book I instantly thought it was going to be a ghost story. Apparently not! I like stories with strong female leads so I may have to give this one a look. "Jaw-dropping" moments are rare for me so that's just a bit of extra incentive! Thanks for the great review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Aside from the action and romance, exploring the issues between land development and the preservation of heritage sites makes the plot interesting. Congratulations on Book of the Day!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”