Review by clint_csperry-org -- Island Games

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Review by clint_csperry-org -- Island Games

Post by clint_csperry-org »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Island Games, two teen boys, Mathew and Ryan, wake to find themselves on an island. They have no recollection of how they got there, or where they came from. What memories they do have, amount to only bits and pieces of their previous lives. They soon realize they must find food, water, and a way to make contact with the outside world. As they go off in pursuit of these goals, they are confronted with monsters they must fight and challenges to resolve.

I had known going in, the author, Caleb J. Boyer, was a young writer. Boyer has chosen his audience well, and the story has an excellent flow. The plot is clear even though some of the questions the tale poses are never resolved. The target audience, mid-grade to young adults, is right on.

Characterization is good but not great; a particular example of a weakness is the scene where Mathew throws a temper tantrum. This is the opposite of how he has acted in the first three-fourths of the book. I also had an issue with the way Boyer bounces from one character’s point of view to the other. The leaps were abrupt and left me wondering whose eyes I saw through.

As for the motivation of the characters, I would believe that finding oneself stranded on an island and fighting for one’s life, danger lurking around every corner, would be an all-consuming endeavor, and there would be no time for fun and games. The obstacles in the boy’s way throughout the story are immense. Additionally, the way they find themselves tossed from one part of the island to another would be at the very least unsettling. Yet, on occasions in Island Games, our main characters, Matthew and Ryan, are wasting time and energy playing at snowball fighting or dunking one another in a pond.

Another issue for me is the battle scenes. Simply put, they are unrealistic. For instance, stabbing a large four-legged beast with a knife would likely have been impossible for the boys to begin with. But, given that they managed to do so, the likelihood of landing a fatal blow in such a situation, with one stroke, would be just as unlikely.

Boyer has done a fair job of presenting his story. I rate Island Games 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it for eight-year-olds up to about fourteen or fifteen-year-olds. The adventure is fun. While it is often amateurish in its presentation, it came across much better than I expected.

I think the biggest issue for me was that Boyer takes an opportunity after the story has ended to preach about the virtues of working together and keeping calm. While I like the message, I felt it would have been much better had Boyer had the confidence in his story to let it speak for itself. If he feels compelled to make such commentary, it would be more appropriately presented in a separate book.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Given that Boyer himself was 12 or 13 (I think) when he wrote this, I am not at all surprised that there are unrealistic scenes, such as taking town a four-legged beast with a knife. This is more about a teenage boy's imagination than reality. That doesn't mean the issues aren't there, just that maybe we can accept, as adults, that this book is really not meant for us.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

esp1975 wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 11:07 Given that Boyer himself was 12 or 13 (I think) when he wrote this, I am not at all surprised that there are unrealistic scenes, such as taking town a four-legged beast with a knife. This is more about a teenage boy's imagination than reality. That doesn't mean the issues aren't there, just that maybe we can accept, as adults, that this book is really not meant for us.
All too true. I wracked my brain on this review. I knew he was young. The last thing I wanted to do was discourage him. I think with a bit of coaching he can become a great writer. But at the same time I have a responsibility to post my honest opinion. That is what you see here. I worked hard to present it in a positive manor and tried to toss some encouragement in as well.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I am always happy to see books geared towards young boys - when my boys were little there was very little out there to spark their interest (until Harry Potter came along!). Thanks for the well thought out review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”