Official Review: OMG by Jenny Pivor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: OMG by Jenny Pivor

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "OMG" by Jenny Pivor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

OMG by Jenny Pivor is a thriller that follows Kylie Maynard, a young woman in her mid-twenties with a brilliant idea. Kylie comes from a wealthy family, and though her father wants her to follow in his footsteps and take a job in his business, Kylie has other plans. With a Harvard MBA and money from her trust fund, Kylie seeks to create a new app, OMG, which will help people make the best decisions possible for their lives. Imagine an app that could give you all the information available about a potential partner or a potential employer! Luckily for Kylie, a skilled programmer falls into her life and offers to build OMG for her. With the program up and running, Kylie realizes access to this type of information could be deadly in the wrong hands. As she seeks to sell her app to her political hero, she must simultaneously use OMG to help the FBI foil a dangerous plan involving chemical warfare.

The most enjoyable part of OMG is its main character. Kylie is an unlikely protagonist for a thriller: she doesn’t have any special skills and she isn’t a genius. In fact, Kylie is the total opposite of what one would expect from this genre. She is young and insecure, exhibiting many millennial traits some might find unflattering. For instance, Kylie is a trust-fund baby, with a Harvard MBA, trying to develop a best-selling app so she doesn’t have to get a real job. Although Kylie might sound unlikable at first glance, due to the expert development of her character, her flaws are what make her an enjoyable protagonist. Additionally, Kylie is driven, ambitious and caring; all of these positive traits further make her a character worth reading about. As a young woman, I could easily connect with Kylie’s fears about relationships, passion about politics, and strained relationship with her parents.

Moreover, many of the secondary characters are equally well developed. For instance, Simon, the geeky and somewhat-untrustworthy programmer Kylie employs to create OMG, added a touch of humor and a sense of suspicion to the story. Similarly, the quasi-villain, Lily, is given a detailed history to elicit some sympathy for her situation. Even Janice, the FBI agent tasked with protecting Kylie, is a fully-formed character with wants, desires and fears, instead of a carbon-copy detective like those that typically appear as a background character in a thriller. Pivor’s ability to create vastly different and equally interesting characters across the storyline brought this novel to life.

While the characters are enjoyable, the pacing is the shining star of OMG. The author skillfully presents Kylie with dangerous and time sensitive situations, but is careful not to drag any scenario out for too long. Further, there are many surprises in the plot that kept me feeling excited about the story. Espionage, political intrigue, advanced technology, difficult relationships and current events are all expertly wound together to create the webbed plotting that makes up OMG. Although there are a few occasions when one must suspended their disbelief to fully enjoy Pivor’s plotting, I had a hard time putting this book down and found all of the thematic elements to be well developed.

As much as I enjoyed the interesting characters and exciting plot, it is clear that OMG is in need of editing. OMG reads as a first draft in some places, with misplaced words appearing frequently and incorrect spelling of the main character’s name appearing occasionally. The errors became more apparent as the book went on. Though this book has a great story, the grammatical errors were overly distracting in places, mainly due to their frequency. Unfortunately, the errors force me to give an otherwise exceptional novel 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy fast-paced thrillers and those who prefer a realistic protagonist, especially a female protagonist, are sure to enjoy Pivor’s OMG.

OMG
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I must confess, the book title made me smile and your beautiful review makes me want to read the book even more regardless of the editing errors.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

The cover of the book drew me in...it definitely speaks thriller. Thank you for the thorough review. Kylie sounds like an interesting main character. I'm not a fan of millennial traits, so I'd be interested to read how her character develops.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

i love to take a look at this book, it makes me excited..loved it! can't wait
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

To me ,the book cover suggested "horror" .. I was a bit disturbed to read that there's nothing horrific in this book..great review 😘😘😘
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I enjoyed reading your review!
I like the idea behind this book, and there seem to be a lot I can enjoy, thanks to your review. Your wonderful descriptions of characterization and the plot of the book has intensified my interest of reading the story myself. Thank you so much for this excellent review!
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

This book sounds so good! You did a great job explaining the plot, I love a page turner and will definitely put this on my book list. What a great review, thanks! Also overview about a rich girl who is also very intelligent, I’m up for that! :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I most appreciate that the characters aren't quite what you'd think. That really makes a book special. I'm so curious what happens with Kylie and OMG. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

This book sounds honestly incredible. The realism of the characters is appealing, and the cover art is beautiful. I'm glad to read a book with a main character that is perfectly average. Thanks for the review!
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I think the plot is a good example of what happens when one has a lot of money and time on their hands than they know what to do with it. Nice review.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The idea of creating a new app which will help people make the best decisions possible for their lives is pretentious beyond belief. Nevertheless, the plot seems to nice to be ignored. :lol2:
Thanks for your review, Marisa. You did a good job.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Momof32019
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Momof32019 »

I loved how the book was summerized to inform the new readers a great understand & point of view of the author.I most definitely would love to read this book to see how she was able to handle the trials and tribulations that she endured with coming up with the app&getting it advertised to the correct audience that would be more attracted to the operations of the apps audience. But most of all how it was used or caused the issue with the FBI with the chemical warfare and how they can get help solving with the app. I will love to read it and many other thrillers along side this on... Your review really made it all come to life with out given to kick information or not given enough information.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Huh. I'm reminded of the Batgirl comics, which had a storyline kind of like this. It's a pity about the editing because I could see myself reading this otherwise.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Momof32019
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Momof32019 »

Yes I could definitely believe see that & yes it's sad how the editing could mess up the view on reading a book that could really be a great book if the errors &what not didn't take from the enjoyment of the book it self

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”