Review by Fazzier -- DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight O...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Review by Fazzier -- DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight O...

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is a volunteer review of "DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland" by Judy Juanita.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland is a non-fiction book written by Judy Juanita. The author–an American poet, playwright, and novelist–uses this book to tell the story of women who rose beyond the debilitating states of their tumultuous lives, ‘making a way out of no way, and nurturing those who have been forgotten or discarded.’ Some of the themes in this book are racism, poverty, family life, religion, and mysticism.

The author begins by telling the story of her childhood life, staying in Oakland, California. She paints the picture of how racism had taken root in the region, and how joining the Black Panther Party during her college days helped her to envision viability in revitalizing and connecting to her community rather than fleeing in the mainstream, corporate America. The author also tells the story of women who could hustle too hard, even to the extent of breaking the law, just to make both ends meet for their families. Besides, the author looks at various female authors such as Carolyn M Rodgers, Sonia Sanchez, and Ntozake Shange who paved the way for the black arts out of their 'literary courage.' On the other hand, there is part toward the end of the book that deals with mysticism. Peter Thorpe, a playwright who recently died, makes psychic visitations to Faith (pen name). I enjoyed the ‘trilogue’ that ensued thereafter.

This book is well-structured, well-written, and skillfully organized. In particular, I liked how it was formatted as it was appealing to the eyes, and this created in me a good impression of the book that lasted throughout my reading experience. Also, it takes the forms of poems, essays, and letters (emails). I liked this diversity as it broke for me the monotony usually brought about by one writing method. Citations of the works of a renown medium, Allison DuBois, and a link to a website containing information about psychic powers, may also appeal to readers who are fascinated by mysticism.

What I liked the most in this book was the part that was dealing with the mystic powers. I was appalled by the things Faith was capable of doing when in a trance-like state. For instance, she was able to teach intuitively without using any book and, also, cook and bake from scratch having had no prior knowledge in the area. Since I'm not well-conversant with how psychic powers operate, this part heightened my curiosity in the book as well as mesmerizing me. It is also in this section of the book that I was engrossed the most to the extent of barely noticing the passing of time.

All in all, there is nothing I disliked about this book. It was exceptionally edited since I did not find any typographical or grammatical errors. I'm, therefore, glad to award DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland by Judy Juanita 4 out of 4 stars. The story is both inspiring and educative. I highly recommend it to readers who would like to know about the history of how the black arts evolved. Also, it may appeal to those who are fascinated by mystic powers.

DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Fazzier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I have to say that the parts on mystic powers intrigue me. I've never known anyone with the powers so I have to say I am a little skeptical. However, I would like to learn more. As a whole, the book sounds like it was very well written. Thank you for a superb review!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

Prisallen wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 16:22 I have to say that the parts on mystic powers intrigue me. I've never known anyone with the powers so I have to say I am a little skeptical. However, I would like to learn more. As a whole, the book sounds like it was very well written. Thank you for a superb review!
Indeed those parts are so fascinating. You'll be intrigued by all the things ‘Faith’ is capable of doing when using mystic powers. Thank you so much for the comment!
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

I too am interested in the psychic aspect of this book. This was a great informative review and I really appreciate the time you took to be so detailed and yes informative, LOL! Although there was no mention of Langston Hughes who was a four father of black arts. I’m sure you didn’t mention everyone in the book. Also, the comment about how he knew women who has to so hard they broke the law, as if saying it is OK to break the law because they are hustling. I too had to make ends meet and didn’t break the law. People these days or two for giving up things that are unforgivable. That’s like saying they are not smart enough to know better it’s so therefore should be forgiven they are smart enough to know better! I know that wasn’t the stance you took and that you were just mentioning it. I am just one of those people who read into things and upset myself, LOL! Thanks for the very good review I cannot wait to read this book.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

I love books of this nature and your review makes this a must read for me! Wonderful review!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The title of this book kinda threw me off, but thanks to your review, I might give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your interesting review. I tend to stay away from psychic themes since one can never be sure where this ¨power" is emanating from. You give a good description of how the author's experiences affected her ideology. Great review!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

Janalyn101 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 09:21 I too am interested in the psychic aspect of this book. This was a great informative review and I really appreciate the time you took to be so detailed and yes informative, LOL! Although there was no mention of Langston Hughes who was a four father of black arts. I’m sure you didn’t mention everyone in the book. Also, the comment about how he knew women who has to so hard they broke the law, as if saying it is OK to break the law because they are hustling. I too had to make ends meet and didn’t break the law. People these days or two for giving up things that are unforgivable. That’s like saying they are not smart enough to know better it’s so therefore should be forgiven they are smart enough to know better! I know that wasn’t the stance you took and that you were just mentioning it. I am just one of those people who read into things and upset myself, LOL! Thanks for the very good review I cannot wait to read this book.
Thank you so much for the comment. I understand the book contains many controversial topics, and I'm glad the psychic aspect of the book makes want to read it. I hope you get the chance to read it.
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 13:17 I love books of this nature and your review makes this a must read for me! Wonderful review!
Go for it! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. The author has really taken her time in making this book appealing to readers. Thank you so much, Gideon, for reading my review and commenting!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

Jaime Lync wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 14:27 The title of this book kinda threw me off, but thanks to your review, I might give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad my review has given you a perspective of the book, and that you might give it a try. Thank you so much, Lync, for your comment!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

kdstrack wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 12:03 I enjoyed your interesting review. I tend to stay away from psychic themes since one can never be sure where this ¨power" is emanating from. You give a good description of how the author's experiences affected her ideology. Great review!
I also tended to stay away from psychic themes but, nowadays, I do read them just out of intellectual curiosity. However, due to my spiritual background, I cannot go to the extent of learning how to practice mysticism . Thank you so much, kdstrack, for your comment!
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I was a bit disturbed by the final chapter in this book, but I can't deny the writing was very powerful. I really liked the author's strong feminist themes and how honest she was about her experience as not only a woman but as a black woman in a racist world. Thank you for the review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think this might be the first review of this book by a male that I have read. I love that you find ways to relate strongly to it that are different than the ways most of the others have related to it. Thank you for reading this book and giving us your perspective.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I sometimes enjoy reading books with stories that are written in essay, poem and short story form - gives you variety! Thank you for the insightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”