Review by diana lowery -- The Cult Next Door

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by diana lowery -- The Cult Next Door

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cult Next Door" by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before I read The Cult Next Door, I had a completely different idea of cults. Based on the title and my misconception, I thought this would be about a community of people living in a neighborhood home who were banded together by some offbeat ideology. Elizabeth R. Burchard's memoir is about her experiences with a group of misguided individuals. The events are depressing, pathetic and eye-opening. I had a hard time reading this book without screaming, "How can you be so gullible?" at Elizabeth, the protagonist.

Elizabeth begins her tale in her childhood with her dysfunctional parents who allow her to be physically and mentally abused by George, the main antagonist. She stays under the power of this charlatan sacrificing most of her life and all her inheritance. Although she recognizes that her decisions are unduly influenced by this unscrupulous and evil man, she is powerless to escape. Finally, the one likable character in this whole book surfaces in the form of Judy, a friend who helps Elizabeth find her way out of the grave that she dug for herself. This person is also the co-author of the book which might explain why she comes across so saintly.

The scenes of George holding the rotting corpse of his dog while he preaches to his congregation are disgusting. The scenes of Elizabeth being subjected to group sex are horrendous. The idiocy of people marveling at the head-shaking phenomena of George getting revelations is hard to accept. Everything in this story is incredible. It is challenging to feel any empathy for the victims because, like drug users, they are addicted. Unless you have had an addiction, it is hard to understand the problem of quitting.

The authors have accomplished their goal of showing how easy it is to become entrapped in a manipulative relationship. All the characters in this true story have actual jobs and families and live separately from George; yet, they are completely under his influence and will make no decisions without consulting him first. I did not like that there was more emphasis placed on describing the sordid details than on the process of getting free from the situation. The use of figurative language offers a welcome respite from the gore. "Mom shoved health foods into our mouths and her newfound religion down the throats of bored friends and relatives who were too polite to protest."

I did appreciate the author's honesty. This can't have been an easy book to write. Reliving all the events must have been a therapeutic, but difficult, task. Typically, I can read a book straight through rather quickly, but I could only take this one in small doses. I am glad that I now have a better understanding of what a cult can be. I recommend this book to every relative or friend who suspects that someone they know is in a hostage situation. The appendix contains a list of literature to read and contact information for groups who can offer assistance.

This book appears to have been professionally edited. I noticed very few errors. There are some odd, but intentional, capitalizations of certain words such as Energy, Girls, and Group. The chronology is easy to follow, and although there are many characters, it is easy to keep them sorted out. My rating for this heartbreaking book is 4 out of 4.

The Cult Next Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Great review, thanks! It does sound like a tough read, but it takes a lot of courage to dive so deep into a past of abuse and manipulation, so that's something to admire. Thankfully, the author had a happy ending and went on to write this book warning people about the very real dangers of cults so that more lives can be saved. As terrible and disgusting as cults can get, I'm fairly interested in the subject, so this this should be worth a look.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Tomah wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 18:27 Great review, thanks! It does sound like a tough read, but it takes a lot of courage to dive so deep into a past of abuse and manipulation, so that's something to admire. Thankfully, the author had a happy ending and went on to write this book warning people about the very real dangers of cults so that more lives can be saved. As terrible and disgusting as cults can get, I'm fairly interested in the subject, so this this should be worth a look.
Thank you for your comment. Yes, I suppose it does have a happy ending (sort of). I hope you enjoy it.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

This sounds truly captivating and I'm convinced I should give it a read upon reading your review!
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I'm not sure I want to read this one, to be honest - it sounds fairly depressing stuff. Excellent review though!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 11:17 This sounds truly captivating and I'm convinced I should give it a read upon reading your review!
It was a learning experience for me. Thanks for your comment.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 12:35 I'm not sure I want to read this one, to be honest - it sounds fairly depressing stuff. Excellent review though!
I can't say I am exactly glad I read it, but it did cause me to reevaluate some of my perceptions.
Thanks for your comment.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

diana lowery wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 16:28
The scenes of George holding the rotting corpse of his dog while he preaches to his congregation are disgusting. The scenes of Elizabeth being subjected to group sex are horrendous. The idiocy of people marveling at the head-shaking phenomena of George getting revelations is hard to accept. Everything in this story is incredible. It is challenging to feel any empathy for the victims because, like drug users, they are addicted. Unless you have had an addiction, it is hard to understand the problem of quitting.
:o Now that is some hectic stuff right there! This sounds like a tough read. I am glad it influenced your view on cults. I will have to pass. Great review!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Ever_Reading wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 09:21
diana lowery wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 16:28
:o Now that is some hectic stuff right there! This sounds like a tough read. I am glad it influenced your view on cults. I will have to pass. Great review!
Thanks for reading my review. The book was definitely not an easy one to get through.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Great review! I have read this book too, and like you, I had very different ideas of what a cult would be like. This book was a shocking eye-opener that cults and people who belong to cults are not necessarily strange or peculiar or have distinctive traits that sets them apart from others. Neither are they unintelligent or gullible, as Elizabeth proves. This definitely could not have been an easy book to write, but it made for a very interesting read.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It is scary to think this could be going on next door without knowing about it. It does seem to be a heartbreaking story, and I think I would have trouble reading it as well. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Prisallen wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 10:04 It is scary to think this could be going on next door without knowing about it. It does seem to be a heartbreaking story, and I think I would have trouble reading it as well. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Actually, it wasn't next door, which is weird that it was titled that way. I guess the author just meant that it could be going on next to you, and you would not be aware of it. Most of the cult members were educated, professional people with actual jobs and their own homes who went to this person for guidance.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I really enjoyed this line from your review: This person is also the co-author of the book which might explain why she comes across so saintly.

It gave me a nice chuckle. Well done.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

CommMayo wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 12:43 I really enjoyed this line from your review: This person is also the co-author of the book which might explain why she comes across so saintly.

It gave me a nice chuckle. Well done.
Thank you. I hesitated over keeping that sentence. Even though we are told to be honest, I didn't want to be offensive.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The author did a great job by writing this book. I would like to read it as it seems to offer much information that could be very helpful. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”