Review by WardahEbrahim -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Review by WardahEbrahim -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by WardahEbrahim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newberry is an insightful autobiography that reads like a novel. Newberry tells his story which begins as a young, creative and determined child who starts his career as a paperboy and works his way up to a successful entrepreneur.

I found myself in immediate awe of the author. His personality is clearly illustrated as he tells the story of his time as a paperboy and ice cream salesman. He has an innate drive to succeed that is really inspirational. He also includes details of his family life , this brought a real intimacy to the story. I think this also grounded him and helped him maintain a good nature in this cruel environment.

Eventually he achieves an impressive real estate portfolio. The story of how he achieved this is also stimulating and somewhat instructional to the reader. Unfortunately, a natural disaster occurs that severely affects his business. He finds himself in devastating financial loss and in a 25 million dollar debt.

He explains that a burn zone is a cycling term - a point in the course that is exceptionally taxing, but requires a clear mind, determination and maximal effort. He relates this jargon to real life. And while his burn zone was within his professional life, readers can relate it to any calamity or personal struggle.

He deserves credit for maintaining grace and determination through the burn zones. As a young adult I fear the temptations of entering the working world. Thus it is encouraging to read that it is possible to maintain your values and ethics - especially during a burn zone, when you are probably most vulnerable.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There were events and details that leave a bad impression or feelings of anger and frustration. However, it does not fault the book, because this is the way of life - it's realistic.

What I liked most about the book is that the author is aware of his strengths and weaknesses, thus it is a complete reflection of his journey and serves as a form of advice. He also includes images, which brings even more authenticity to his story.

I recommend this book to young adults, teenagers and people who are looking to enter and understand the entrepreneurial field. However, its not only for business-minded folk. It's realistic, inspirational and relatable.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was easy to read and applicable to many audiences and experiences.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”