Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Re: Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by kwame1977 »

Christianity has suffered persecutions for centuries but has not ended. I see that the author is just dispensing knowledge. The author lacks the Holy Spirit. In his research, I recommend he prays for God's direction through the acknowledgement of the Holy Spirit.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Well Christianity has been put on the brink in the past. On one of such occasions, It took some philosophical cases made by some priests to save Christianity. Though I'm not averse to the thoughts Robert Wahler shared, I think it's going to take more than a book to bring an end to Christianity.
Peter-+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Peter-+ »

Well Christianity has gone a long way that many even convert to it, with the lots of spiritual activities in the name of God even made others stronger and when I say others, I mean alot of people, so a book cannot sway the believes of christians maybe a few may do a bit of research and turn away :tiphat:
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

Lhisa wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:30 Christianity is a faith that is based on faith. One book will never be able to shake the foundation of the true believers. The Bible itself tells you that there will be many that will question the faith and God so Christians are brought up in the faith to expect others to question their beliefs. Philosophers and atheists have been doing so for many years and yet Christianity has not died.
Perfectly worded. There are many people and books that question the belief of various religions and the existence of God. This is not the first one and won't be the last. Over a period of time, and after reading various such books, a person may change their belief, I guess? But, I don't think this book alone can do that. It's over a period of time and when someone is already questioning their own belief would a book impact someone to that extent. Even then, I believe, it wouldn't be enough to end an entire religion or belief.
"Growth is the essence of life."
Soonerchick656
Currently Reading: Under Currents
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soonerchick656.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Soonerchick656 »

Though there are other scholars/philosophers who also believe in the same direction as Mr. Wahler,
there is growing consensus among religious scholars for Wahler’s view of Judas as beloved and obedient disciple, rather than betrayer
I do not believe that after several millennia that there would be an end to Christianity. I do believe that there are questionable things about the New Testament and that it is never in anyone's best interest to just take things as they are written; but that each individual should do their own research to discover what and how things should be.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

Perhaps that is one of the author's goal but, this for me does not end it because we all have that encore belief which is hard to erase no matter what kind of material we are reading.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I don't think it will end Christianity. It might join the movement of mindful faith as opposed to blind following.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

There will always be people who hold to their beliefs regardless of what others say.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I don't know what the author's core belief is or his ultimate objective for writing it.

Will it hurt Christianity? Well, it may change the mind of a few Christians and offend a lot more.

Will it end Christianity? I don't see a world where that's even possible. Bible believing Christians will tell you that Christianity is more than just another religion; it's a heartfelt and ongoing experience with the person of Jesus. Historical facts can't disprove what a person claims to be his/her personal experience.

Not to mention that there's a lot more proof for Christianity than there is against it. It has survived thousands of years and has undergone ridicule and persecution to mention a few. The author's gnostic point of view has been around for a long long time and yet Christianity has thrived with the Bible becoming the most published book in history at the same time its teachings have caused its followers the greatest persecution.

However, while I don't believe the author's stand on Judas and Jesus in Misreading Judas, I understand that he is free to make his opinion known, especially since it is based off research. These discussions need to take place and I'm glad he is playing his part in the thread.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Jachike 1 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:15 I don't know what the author's core belief is or his ultimate objective for writing it.

Will it hurt Christianity? Well, it may change the mind of a few Christians and offend a lot more.

Will it end Christianity? I don't see a world where that's even possible. Bible believing Christians will tell you that Christianity is more than just another religion; it's a heartfelt and ongoing experience with the person of Jesus. Historical facts can't disprove what a person claims to be his/her personal experience.

Not to mention that there's a lot more proof for Christianity than there is against it. It has survived thousands of years and has undergone ridicule and persecution to mention a few. The author's gnostic point of view has been around for a long long time and yet Christianity has thrived with the Bible becoming the most published book in history at the same time its teachings have caused its followers the greatest persecution.

However, while I don't believe the author's stand on Judas and Jesus in Misreading Judas, I understand that he is free to make his opinion known, especially since it is based off research. These discussions need to take place and I'm glad he is playing his part in the thread.
I really have no desire to prove anything wrong. I find it more interesting to show what is right about what I found. -the author
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

No, it will not end Christianity. That's a lot of people! But this book certainly did ask questions. In this age of technology, the information in this book, and others like, will not be insignificant. We will have to see. There are a lot of good, valid points in this writing, and I am a lot more learned because of it.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Christianity is a religion based on faith. A research by someone or a group of individuals can't put an end to it. It might cause a stir but Christianity can't die.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Soonerchick656 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 16:39 Though there are other scholars/philosophers who also believe in the same direction as Mr. Wahler,
there is growing consensus among religious scholars for Wahler’s view of Judas as beloved and obedient disciple, rather than betrayer
I do not believe that after several millennia that there would be an end to Christianity. I do believe that there are questionable things about the New Testament and that it is never in anyone's best interest to just take things as they are written; but that each individual should do their own research to discover what and how things should be.
Well said. I also agree that it should be up to the individual to question what they've been taught and do their own research, even if it goes against what they've been told is the truth. When you dig deeper into the history of religions and their belief systems, you often find things that are hard to ignore. For me, a new viewpoint is a reason to once again evaluate what I "know" and develop a new set of questions to further the opening of my mind.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

T_stone wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 02:37 Christianity is a religion based on faith. A research by someone or a group of individuals can't put an end to it. It might cause a stir but Christianity can't die.
When I say Christianity is over (judaswasjames.com) I mean the teachings are. Faith in it will continue as long as adherents are OK with believing in fictional stories that are not, perhaps, originally intended to be taken so darn seriously. Nowhere does 'Jesus' plainly say he will save all believers who ever lived or will live. He couldn't do that. And he said so (John 9:4-5). There was a real savior at the time, and his name was James the Just. He came for the many, not all (Mark 10:45).
kmwarren20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmwarren20.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by kmwarren20 »

I seriously doubt that this book could end Christianity. If anything, I think it would inspire Christians to speak out against this book, as opposed to rejecting their beliefs.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”