Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Re: Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by LinaMueller »

No, of course not. Are you serious? A lot of genius like Nietzsche and Marx have been trying (for the last centuries) to destroy Christianity without success.
TalonFox
Currently Reading: Project ELE
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talonfox.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by TalonFox »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:03 What do you think was the aim of this book especially considering all the research the author had to carry out to aid him in writing the book? Do you think his intentions were just to dispense knowladge and not an attack to christianity? If this book is read by many people across the world, do you think it might put an end to christianity?
I do not believe that one book could end a whole religion, especially such a prominent one.
I also don't think the author was trying to do such a thing, I feel he had a passion in proving his opinion but I'm not sure about his intention being what you stated.
Just my opinion though :eusa-think:
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

LinaMueller wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 19:27 No, of course not. Are you serious? A lot of genius like Nietzsche and Marx have been trying (for the last centuries) to destroy Christianity without success.
One need not be a genius. I'm not! I'm a practicing Mystic. I understand what happened, or at least the bulk of it.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Sahansdal wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 16:08
LinaMueller wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 19:27 No, of course not. Are you serious? A lot of genius like Nietzsche and Marx have been trying (for the last centuries) to destroy Christianity without success.
One need not be a genius. I'm not! I'm a practicing Mystic. I understand what happened, or at least the bulk of it.
I understand what you are saying but the point here is that Misreading Judas cannot mark the end of Christianity. No book can destroy Christianity. Maybe some events like wars of religion between Christianity and Islam can mark the end of any specific religion but books definitely not.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

The only way to wipe out a religion is to wipe out the people who believe in it. Those who believe will not be swayed by any argument.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 13:40 The only way to wipe out a religion is to wipe out the people who believe in it. Those who believe will not be swayed by any argument.
Helen, I don't think that's true. I used to be a Christian. Then I learned more about the Bible from sources that are not apologetic. I suggest everyone in Christendom do the same. There is much factual information to learn which you will not see from within the confines of Church teaching. Don't depend on any one source, including this one.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Not at all! A book can't change the minds of the enormous number of Christians who deeply follow Christianity. This book may change the minds of a few Christians. However, Christianity has deep roots which no one can destroy.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Sahansdal wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 22:05
Joe Hadithi wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 17:47 The dead sea scrolls didn't, so I don't see why this would.
Regarding the DSS, Joe. Yes, they did end it. Read Dr. Eisenman's books on it.http://roberteisenman.com/
I've just noticed the link you provided there. Looks interesting - thanks for that!
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

There is no way that the book would cause an end to Christianity. Christianity has survived many attacks so far and it wouldn't be shaken by the book.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

esp1975 wrote: 24 May 2019, 19:54 If every Christian read this book AND if every Christian then accepted the author's conclusions, then perhaps this book could end Christianity. Certainly, the ideas that Christ was NOT sacrificed, and that the only way to be saved is to study with a living Master, run antithetical to Christian teachings.
However, not every Christian is going to read this book, and even for those that do, I think it is safe to say, based on the responses on this thread alone, most are not going to accept the author's conclusions.
As many have mentioned, there have been numerous threats to Christianity over the years, including ones that have come from differing translations of the Bible. Just think about how many different versions are in use right now!
As a non religious person, I find these arguments fascinating, but did not feel the author supported them well enough for me to fully accept them. I would like to see an actual Biblical scholar take this up and respond, just because I think the debate would be incredibly enlightening.
So would I. So would I. - the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

CambaReviewer wrote: 27 May 2019, 12:22 This book cannot end Christianity. No book or ideology can. If they could, it would have ended thousands of years ago.
This is the author, Camba. I present new information never before seen, since before 1978. And I interpret it correctly for the first time. I believe I prove that. I would love to see more discussion of the evidence I presented.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 13:40 The only way to wipe out a religion is to wipe out the people who believe in it. Those who believe will not be swayed by any argument.
Helen,
My target audience is not presently living. It is future generations. I wish someone had warned me 50 years ago, when I was reading the Bible for the first time. I knew it was speaking with authority, but I didn't understand it. I do now.

This will take one generation ,or two, once the scholars get on board. That will take some time, of course. - the Author
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

No. A single fiction book can not shake a firm religion like Christianity. It might be controversial and may evoke serious questions but his ideas can't be substantiated.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Wambui-nj wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 13:37 No. A single fiction book can not shake a firm religion like Christianity. It might be controversial and may evoke serious questions but his ideas can't be substantiated.
What does that mean, Wambui? Can the Bible be substantiated? Be specific, please.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

That's sort of like saying that a fairy dies every time someone says 'I don't believe in fairies.' (Anyone remember that from Peter Pan?) Can we then wipe out the fairy population if there were enough people to say the dreaded words aloud? Sure! But the resurrection of a dead fairy started with a single person chanting a belief of faith.
You may be able to wipe out believers temporarily, but evidence, and the availability of written research and a thirst for knowledge in the human mind will always lead to a new set of believers, and ensure a resurrection (if needed) and the continuance of Christianity, or anything worth believing in.
It's been evidenced within the Bible and even throughout history - there is always a remnant left.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”