Review by evraealtana -- Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Review by evraealtana -- Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tulip" by Raymond Reed Hardy.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tulip (Dr. Raymond Reed Hardy) is a science fiction novel that explores artificial intelligence (AI) and the boundary between artificial and “true” humanity. The book centers around Nexus-7, or “Tulip”, a conscious, self-aware computer entity that believes, for reasons unknown even to herself, that she must save humanity from its looming destruction at the hands of an unknown threat.

Nexus-7, who later renames herself “Tulip”, enlists the help of Dr. Reed Hardy, an elderly computer science professor, in her quest to save humankind. At the novel’s opening, Nexus-7 proves to Reed that she is an intelligent, thoughtful, and powerful being. She then describes to him how she was (accidentally) created, what she has been doing since that time, and what she intends to do next. She tasks him with teaching her how to be truly human.

The writing takes the form of a stream-of-consciousness style conversation, later revealed to be taking place on a computer, and contains only dialogue. The beginning of the book includes a cast list, where the four main characters (and two electronic versions of main characters) are assigned different text formats to tell them apart. After this time, there is almost no differentiation between them. Therefore, the reader is responsible for mentally keeping them all straight.

This task is made even more difficult by the fact that all the characters have the same “voice”; the dialect, the sentence structure, and even the slang and verbal shortcuts are identical for all characters. This relentless uniformity gives the work the overall effect of a monologue rather than a science fiction adventure novel.

The premise of the novel held the potential to be gripping in the extreme. However, the actualization of the idea left a great deal to be desired. On the whole, the book moved slowly, in the way that Jane Austen often does. The plot was advanced almost solely through conversation rather than through action. The author takes time to play through discussions on which Star Wars films are the best and why, as well as on the pros and cons of each entry on a list of baby names for a new AI that Tulip has created. Repeatedly, characters make statements like, “Time is of the essence!”, or, “Not a moment to lose!”, but then proceed to digress into weeks-long discussions of anthropology, philosophy, evolutionary biology, pop culture, and linguistics. Listening to the extended conversation between Tulip and Reed, which occupies the first two-thirds of the book, is like hearing two philosophy students discussing recent lectures, with one party only marginally better-studied than the other.

Disappointingly, errors abounded. Some were probably simple typos, but many were easily-researchable misspellings, even of common words and names. Punctuation was also sometimes used arbitrarily. Ordinarily, I try to overlook errors when evaluating the merits of a book, but in this case, the frequency of the mistakes definitely did detract from my enjoyment. The book would certainly benefit from professional editing.

I would rate Tulip as a 2 out of 4 for the great potential it held; it touched on heavy and forward-thinking topics such as the interplay between emotion and rationality, the cybernetic world toward which humanity is rapidly moving, and whether an AI entity can ever be considered a “person”. I could not rate it higher than that because of the lack of story development and the errors present. It would most appeal to readers who enjoy reflecting on futuristic possibilities and who have an interest in science fiction and AI.

Tulip
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like evraealtana's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Seems like a great book for those who are interested in the philosophical questions surrounding AIs, but I'll pass. Great review!
evraealtana
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 03:52 Seems like a great book for those who are interested in the philosophical questions surrounding AIs, but I'll pass. Great review!
Thank you very much.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The idea of an AI becoming self-aware is interesting, but it sounds like the slow, plodding narrative and lack of story takes away from it too much to be even that. It's a pity because on paper it sounded good.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I actually liked your review of this book much better than my own. I enjoyed your Jane Austen reference, too.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that this story line held such great potential. It was disappointing to read the second half of the review - I wanted this to be a four!! Thanks for your comments on this book. Great review!
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Nisha Ward wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 08:26 The idea of an AI becoming self-aware is interesting, but it sounds like the slow, plodding narrative and lack of story takes away from it too much to be even that. It's a pity because on paper it sounded good.
My thought exactly. I had such high hopes for this one, but it unfortunately didn't live up to them. Thank you for stopping by.
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

kdstrack wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 19:39 I agree that this story line held such great potential. It was disappointing to read the second half of the review - I wanted this to be a four!! Thanks for your comments on this book. Great review!
Thank you very much!
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

diana lowery wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 10:26 I actually liked your review of this book much better than my own. I enjoyed your Jane Austen reference, too.
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words, and your having taken the time to stop by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”