Review by Ellylion -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review by Ellylion -- The Altitude Journals

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro is a book about the author's ascent to the Seven Summits, seven highest mountains in the world, among them: Denali, Kilimanjaro, Elbrus, Aconcagua, Vinson Massif, Carstensz Pyramid, and Everest.

This book has everything: the description of the author's incredible adventures on his way to the world's highest summits; advice to those who might be interested in following his way; the history of his life challenges; a beautiful love line and just wisdom of a very experienced man.

The author with captivating frankness tells about his first steps as a climber during the ascent to the one of the Seven Summits, Denali, and all the difficulties, connected to it. This ascent helped the author to move from the lowest point of his life that included the death of his brother, hard divorce and financial losses up to the new summits, exotic countries, and personal achievements.

David Mauro chose his summits not by chance but only after they "called" him. And every time a reader with sinking heart follows the author risking his life, for example, in the hardest conditions of Antarctica as he climbs Vinson Massif or takes a risk of being kidnapped in the rain forests of Papua New Guinea.

But, in spite of all the mentioned above dangers, the author always has kind and heartfelt words for those assisting him in his journeys. He tells a detailed and very interesting history of Sherpa people, who guide expeditions to the top of Mount Everest for decades. The author makes their vivid portraits with a few loving strokes, and it is impossible not to admire their courage, physical toughness, and kind hearts.

It is worth mentioning a heartwarming love story between the author and lovely Lin. They met online by chance, fell in love and were able to trust each other even despite the hard life's circumstances they both went through. Every time I was eager to learn what humorous costume inventive Lin chose to wear this time as she was meeting David in the airport after his next expedition. And she always managed to impress me.

I liked most about this book the description of the ascent to the world's highest summit, Everest. As I was reading, I rooted for the author more and more with every one of his courageous steps. The author described the ascent with all the incredibly honest details and possible dangers a climber could meet along the way. For example, it became a big surprise for me to learn that, according to the author, on the altitude high enough a person's body starts to die slowly, and a climber must ascend to the top of a mountain and return to base camp fast enough to not let that process to conclude.

The author describes the most unpleasant parts of his journeys with an amazing sense of humor. For example, a leeches' description is incredibly humorous. Thanks to the author I now look at them differently and more sympathetically.

There wasn't a single thing I could dislike about this book. Also, it was professionally edited, and I found only a couple of minor typographical errors.

I am pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to everyone who loves journeys, mountains, might be an aspiring or experienced climber, lives through a tough time and needs guidance or encouragement. The book contains beautiful pictures, is written in a light way, and suitable for a large audience.

The ascent to the world's highest mountains made the author a stronger, wiser and more loving person. A reader will find in this book an inexhaustible source of inspiration and inner strength.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ellylion's review? Post a comment saying so!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This book sounds so heart warming and inspirational that I will have to take a look at it. Thanks for a great review!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Prisallen wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 22:58 This book sounds so heart warming and inspirational that I will have to take a look at it. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for your kind words! It's really worth checking out, it has everything - adventures, self-help, great love story! I loved this book from the first page :)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This is a book that has been calling to me. I wish to climb with David one of these days.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 16:31 This is a book that has been calling to me. I wish to climb with David one of these days.
I had the same feelings as I was reading it :) The book really inspires readers to go further and test their own abilities.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I can't imagine climbing one mountain, never mind seven.
Kudos to the author!
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

excellent review and it sounds like an excellent book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

What an engaging review! I had read this book several weeks ago, but loved "reading" it again through your review. Yes, Lin's costumes were so creative and I loved the author's sense of humor. Great review!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Bianka Walter wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 13:05 I can't imagine climbing one mountain, never mind seven.
Kudos to the author!
Great review :)
Thank you so much! I got dizzy as I was reading lol but have tons of respect toward him! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Bluebird03 wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 09:58 What an engaging review! I had read this book several weeks ago, but loved "reading" it again through your review. Yes, Lin's costumes were so creative and I loved the author's sense of humor. Great review!
Thank you for your kind words! I fell in love with this book from the first page :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Helen_Combe wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 03:52 excellent review and it sounds like an excellent book.
It really is an excellent book and thank you! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 16:31 This is a book that has been calling to me. I wish to climb with David one of these days.
I had the same feeling - he inspired me to step out of my comfort zone :)
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

This sounds adventurous and exciting!I love books that are about real life events like these. Thank you for your wonderful review
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 03:29 This sounds adventurous and exciting!I love books that are about real life events like these. Thank you for your wonderful review
Thank you for your kind words! :)
kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

Wow your review is really beautiful! This book seems like one that will go down in one sitting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”