Review by Brendan Donaghy -- The Chauvinist's Guide to M...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Review by Brendan Donaghy -- The Chauvinist's Guide to M...

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance" by Morris Rollins.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I chose to review this book because, like many people, I enjoy comedy and like being made to smile and laugh. The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance is subtitled ‘a real-life comedy about men and women’. In my view, that puts author Morris Rollins under some kind of an obligation to make his book funny. Given that humor is a very individual thing, and that one person’s idea of side-splittingly funny can be markedly different from the person next in line, one might settle for mildly amusing at the very least. So, how did he do?

This is a short book, consisting of only fifty-seven pages. It is also illustrated with over eighty photographs, charts, and drawings, all of which cut down on the space left over for text. The basic premise of this book is that womankind and modern morality have conspired to make the modern male into a eunuch. The author tells the reader: ‘Your average guy sleeps alone a thousand times more often than he beds a sexy woman’. The author’s purpose in writing this tongue-in-cheek book is to share his wisdom and thus help men ‘get the upper hand on the weaker sex’. He goes about the task of educating his male brothers with unbridled sexism and chauvinism, which is the explanation for the book’s title. He sketches out a nostalgic view of days long gone when men were men and women knew their place. He gives us an overview of how chauvinism works in practice and outlines a strategy by which men can actually win the battle of the sexes.

Without a doubt, there is humor to be found in the whole male-female sexual dynamic. There is also a rich, comic tradition of being outrageously, scandalously non-PC. It was probably a combination of these two aspects that the writer of this book was trying to capture on paper when he sat down at his desk. However, there is a very thin line between being scandalously funny and being just plain offensive, one which aspiring satirists must tread with care. I am not convinced that the author manages to negotiate this line successfully. At times, indeed, I am not sure if he knows that there is a line there at all. He gives us separate sections devoted to ‘nice girls’, ‘bad girls’, ‘blondes’, ‘fat women’, ‘ugly women’, ‘horny sluts’, ‘bitches’ and ‘nymphos’. There are references to ‘titty bars’. ‘Nice Guy’ men are lampooned and described as ‘half homo’. Real men, on the other hand, are categorized as ‘tough guys’, ‘sharp guys’ or ‘smooth guys’. The sections are punctuated with illustrations that are themselves borderline offensive.

It is clear from the first page that the book is aimed very much at young, single men. Being middle-aged and married, I tried reading it with my younger self in mind. Would this book have made that young man smile or laugh? I’m reasonably certain that the answer to that question is a resounding ‘no’. Moreover, the reasons for that are much the same as they are now. The book is just not funny. In places, for example, it has long passages exploring the relationship between men and women in terms of half-baked evolutionary psychology. It is difficult to find the humor in these lines. One is left with the impression that the author has momentarily forgotten that he is writing satire and is, instead, simply sharing his views on life with us.

There is not much I liked about this book. It has only one redeeming feature, namely that it is well-edited. I picked up one solitary grammatical mistake. In acknowledgment of this fact, I would give the book two out of four stars, rather than the one I would otherwise have awarded it. Women should avoid this for the sake of their blood pressure: believe me, there is nothing here for the female reader. Given some of the topics discussed by the author, I would also judge that the book is unsuitable for children.

The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I sampled this recently and did not think it was very funny. You hit the nail on the head when you say that satire will not work if it lapses into being offensive. Writing good satire is an art. Great review, though!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Well, Brendan, for the sake of my blood pressure, I'm going to steer clear of this one! :) Thank you for the health warning and for a fabulous review!!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

The advice only made the butterflies of my stomach tickle faster. Sorry but I'm definitely interested in this comedy sequence. Wonderful review, I found every element that needs to be covered.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with you that this is not a book I would want to read. I think my blood pressure would definitely go up! Thanks for a wonderful review, as always!
Brendan Donaghy

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 09:08 I sampled this recently and did not think it was very funny. You hit the nail on the head when you say that satire will not work if it lapses into being offensive. Writing good satire is an art. Great review, though!
Thanks for reading and for taking time to comment!
Brendan Donaghy

Bluebird03 wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 10:47 Well, Brendan, for the sake of my blood pressure, I'm going to steer clear of this one! :) Thank you for the health warning and for a fabulous review!!
You're very welcome - thank you for reading and for posting a comment!
Brendan Donaghy

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 11:26 The advice only made the butterflies of my stomach tickle faster. Sorry but I'm definitely interested in this comedy sequence. Wonderful review, I found every element that needs to be covered.
I hope you enjoy reading it! Thank you for your comments!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Thanks for the review! It definitely sounds like one of those "offensive for the sake of being offensive" styles of writing that disguise themselves as comedy, so I'll be skipping it. As an aside, it's funny how I often read reviews of good or even great books with poor editing, but this one is a rare case of the inverse. If a book like The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance is professionally edited, there's no excuse for you, authors out there!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I agree with you on this one. I read the sample and I feel like the author missed the mark slightly. The author tended more towards sexism than satire in my opinion. It's a difficult task to get satire across to the reader effectively without causing offense. I don't think I'll be reading the full book, but I enjoyed reading your thoughts!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

I was a little skeptical on reading the title, but upon reading your review I feel like you've saved me a lot of time I might have spent reading it to figure out for myself. Thank you for your honest review!
Brendan Donaghy

Prisallen wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 14:14 I agree with you that this is not a book I would want to read. I think my blood pressure would definitely go up! Thanks for a wonderful review, as always!
Thank you for commenting!
Brendan Donaghy

Tomah wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 17:24 Thanks for the review! It definitely sounds like one of those "offensive for the sake of being offensive" styles of writing that disguise themselves as comedy, so I'll be skipping it. As an aside, it's funny how I often read reviews of good or even great books with poor editing, but this one is a rare case of the inverse. If a book like The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance is professionally edited, there's no excuse for you, authors out there!
I completely agree about the editing - the number of potentially good books that are spoiled by poor editing is surprisingly high. This one, at least, looks like it has been professionally produced. Thanks for reading the review and leaving a comment!
Brendan Donaghy

danielleamy wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 17:44 I agree with you on this one. I read the sample and I feel like the author missed the mark slightly. The author tended more towards sexism than satire in my opinion. It's a difficult task to get satire across to the reader effectively without causing offense. I don't think I'll be reading the full book, but I enjoyed reading your thoughts!
'The author tended more towards sexism than satire' - that's an excellent summary of the book as a whole. In fact, I wish I could slot that into the review! Many thanks for reading and for leaving a comment!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I had thoughts of selecting this book to review. After your analysis, I think I will pass. My blood pressure does not need to be elevated. I am glad that there was only one grammar error. Many of the books I have read recently have had at least that many on each page.
Great Review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”