Official Review: I Believe in Fortune Cookies by Richard Yu

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Official Review: I Believe in Fortune Cookies by Richard Yu

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Believe in Fortune Cookies" by Richard Yu.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I love fortune cookies, not least because their messages can work on so many levels. One that could augur well or badly is: “The more you plan, the harder coincidence may hit you.” That would resonate with author Richard Yu, who had hoped to spend his retirement travelling and perfecting his tennis when he was diagnosed with leukaemia. In a twist not unlike those in his stories, a man who had previously struggled to compose an aerogramme to his parents in Hong Kong discovered a talent for writing. After a bone marrow transplant, he attempted to write a memoir but found himself penning short stories instead, using fantasy as an escape. The stories collected in I Believe in Fortune Cookies not only chronicle the author's treatments but are also inspired by his travels, his childhood in Hong Kong, and his adult life in the USA.

In addition to having travelled widely, Yu is cultured, so that the short stories also draw on Ingmar Bergman films, Bach, art, and more. The tales are so diverse that it is hard to generalize about them. Yu does not shy away from fusing spiritual imagery, for example. A fascinating aspect of the stories on spiritual themes is that Yu debunks superstition while showing how the realities behind the symbols cannot be denied. So it is that in the story “Delicious Red”, a woman receives a tempting apple following an introduction to the Kama Sutra. Her eyes are opened not by her boyfriend, who could not bear to set foot in a temple, but by her Indian tour guide; a common theme in the stories is that of people who end up in the wrong place married to the wrong person. The role of fate in correcting these mismatches is another theme.

Each story took just minutes to read, and Yu always got straight to colouring in the background while building tension. I was in awe at the stories’ neat packaging. One condensed an entire murder mystery plot into a few pages, in which a sleuth paid out a long line to catch a big fish. In time-honoured detective story fashion, the serial killer eventually made a mistake, but that wasn’t all – like all of the stories, that one veered sharply at the end.

As is apparent from that example, the stories were often dark and fatalistic, although some took lighter turns. Although sex and death were frequent topics, there were no really gory or graphic passages, making this collection suitable for teens and up. This anthology comes highly recommended to anyone who relishes short fiction that showcases the best of the craft. Not a word was wasted, while telling details were picked out, such as the taste of the kimchi soup served to a man by the wife he was planning to murder.

Not all fortune cookies are created alike, of course, and there were occasional weaknesses. For example, the voice in a story narrated by a six-year-old didn’t sound like that of a child, and one denouement was too predictable. Some characters seemed stereotyped, like a fat person who was compared to a puffer fish.

With only minor lapses in quality, the book was professionally edited and I found no errors in the early sections or towards the end. However, there was something of a dip in the middle, and my error count went over ten. That’s the fundamental reason for my rating of three out of four stars; the book was excellent overall. Crack open I Believe in Fortune Cookies to feast on a banquet of paradoxes.

I Believe in Fortune Cookies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hmmm, this looks like something a "fortune" (I mean "treasure") hunter would shout "Eureka!" for. I hope I find the chance to crack it.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I thoroughly enjoyed your review, it was informative and interesting. I hope to read the book sometime.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The variety of topics covered support the title. I like the fact that the book has several different settings. This looks intriguing. Great review! Thanks.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a worthwhile book to crack open, despite some of the smaller issues.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Nothing I like better than feasting on a banquet of paradoxes! :) The book sounds interesting and well worth a look. Great review!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Miriam Molina wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 04:27 Hmmm, this looks like something a "fortune" (I mean "treasure") hunter would shout "Eureka!" for. I hope I find the chance to crack it.
It was quite the discovery! Thanks for your comment.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 05:02 I thoroughly enjoyed your review, it was informative and interesting. I hope to read the book sometime.
It is indeed worth a look. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 10:49 The variety of topics covered support the title. I like the fact that the book has several different settings. This looks intriguing. Great review! Thanks.
That was an excellent aspect. Various places in China provided some of the settings; it's been a while since I read anything set there. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

CommMayo wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 12:36 This sounds like a worthwhile book to crack open, despite some of the smaller issues.
It did indeed harbour much wisdom. I'd have given it four stars if it weren't for the ten-error rule. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 13:21 Nothing I like better than feasting on a banquet of paradoxes! :) The book sounds interesting and well worth a look. Great review!
There's nothing quite like finishing a meal with a fortune cookie! Thanks for your comment.
Mod
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Each story took just minutes to read, and Yu always got straight to colouring in the background while building tension. I was in awe at the stories’ neat packaging. One condensed an entire murder mystery plot into a few pages, in which a sleuth paid out a long line to catch a big fish. In time-honoured detective story fashion, the serial killer eventually made a mistake, but that wasn’t all – like all of the stories, that one veered sharply at the end.
Impressive--this sounds like a collection I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

The diverse tales seem to cover quite a lot. The Indian concept of Kamasutra, for example, intrigues me. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This certainly seems like a mixture of themes that interest me. Thank you for a great review!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Cecilia_L wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 16:26
Impressive--this sounds like a collection I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.
I hadn't been reading short stories often of late. This reminded me of how amazing they can be. Thanks for your comment.
Mod

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”