Official Review: Long Walk on a Dry Road by Jon Kaufman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Long Walk on a Dry Road by Jon Kaufman

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Long Walk on a Dry Road" by Jon Kaufman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 2008, Jon Kaufman, a successful businessman running a marketing firm in Silicon Valley, treated his older sister, Jaye, who was fighting a losing battle with ovarian cancer, to a cruise. After enjoying a lavish beach buffet in Labadie, Haiti, Jon and Jaye were about to reboard the cruise ship when, ignoring the instructions of the staff, they looked back at the island. Their moment of sibling mischief became one of complete dismay as they watched hordes of impoverished locals - men, women, and children - come down from hills to scavenge through the vacationers' buffet leftovers. Troubled by the stark juxtaposition of his own excess and these hungry Haitians' indignity, Jon promised his weeping sister that he would "do something about this." This declaration, thereafter referred to as The Vow, marked the beginning of Kaufman's conversion from marketing moneymaker to "Water Warrior," a journey he documents in <i>Long Walk on a Dry Road</i>.

Equal parts memoir, travelogue, public-service announcement, and editorial, Kaufman's book might have been better titled "Long Walk on a Dry, Rutted, Underfunded, Dangerous, Largely Ignored Road." After learning that thousands of children under the age of 5 die of waterborne illness every day and that the World Health Organization estimates that half of the world's hospital beds are occupied by patients suffering from waterborne disease, Jon determined that the most effective way to help the overlooked poor in undeveloped countries is to provide clean drinking water. He began by dumping money into water-focused charities, only to find that many of the methods employed by these organizations are inefficient and unmaintained, which prompted him to find a better solution. That solution was the SunSpring, a revolutionary water-purification system invented by Jack Barker, president of Innovative Water Technologies. The SunSpring uses ultrafiltration to convert raw water from an existing contaminated source to drinking water that is 99.999% pathogen free at an output of 5000 gallons a day using solar power, making its operating cost virtually $0, and it requires minimal maintenance. Thus began H2OpenDoors, which Kaufman started within Rotary International. H2OpenDoors partners with foreign Rotarians and non-government organizations to scout for prime locations in need of water purification, perform the necessary testing of the water source, raise funds for the installation entirely from donations, and travel to set up a SunSpring and teach the locals to maintain it. But they don't stop there. They often identify other community needs while scouting and arrange to meet those as well, such as providing schools with digital educational resources, and they empower the locals to set up a water-sales enterprise. The proceeds from sales then benefit their own community.

Perhaps the H2OpenDoors website sums it up best:
<p>"We contribute a solar-powered water purification plant that can produce up to 40,000 liters of safe drinking water every single day from virtually any raw source. This is enough water production to guide a village or a school into establishing a water sales business, earning as much as $100,000 per year for their social services."</p>

Frankly, my ignorance with regard to the world's water crisis was appalling. <i>Long Walk on a Dry Road</i> was strikingly eye-opening for me, which is the first reason I would recommend that others read it. I had no idea that most of the world spends up to 1/2 of their income on drinking water or that many people walk several miles both ways just to get to their water source every day. I was troubled to learn that the UN estimates that global demand for safe drinking water will exceed supply by 40% in 2030. Perhaps I'm the proverbial "last to know," and my readers are rightfully shaking their heads at my naiveté. I'm grateful to have read Kaufman's book simply for the enlightenment and awareness I gained on this pressing issue.

More than that, it's an entertaining read, chronicling Jon's journey as a Water Warrior, which has included typhoons, close calls, failure, tears of pain and joy, flat tires, global friendships, miles of bureaucratic red tape, and one holdup at gunpoint. Installations in 10 countries, including Nepal, Tanzania, Mexico, and Haiti, have provided Kaufman with exposure to many cultures. His style is straightforward and to the point, making it approachable for everyone.

As important as I believe Kaufman's book is, I am obligated as a reviewer to discuss negatives. There are aspects of this book that will put off some readers, in my opinion. First, Kaufman includes his political views about, for example, President Trump. He forewarns his readers that his "opinions are woven through every paragraph," but my concern is that some readers who would otherwise be moved to support H2OpenDoors' efforts will be turned off by political commentary, which would be a shame. Second, there are editing issues throughout the book, such as missing and misplaced commas and hyphens, incomplete sentences, missing quotation marks, abrupt tense changes, one instance of misuse of "it's," etc. These pale in relevance compared to the book's point, but these errors alone force me to lower my rating. Third, Kaufman refers to many statistics throughout the book about subjects like waterborne illness, inefficiency or efficiency of various water-purification methods or products, financial figures, etc., but I believe there are only 2 footnotes. Given the number of claims made in <i>Long Walk</i>, there is a glaring lack of citations or references to a source, digital or otherwise. I think his lack hurts his credibility, although I am inclined to believe him without supporting footnotes. Finally, this book could be better organized. Many details aren't explained until the later chapters, which made the earlier chapters a bit confusing. For example, several references are made early on about providing a school with a RACHEL, but the acronym's meaning is not explained until after the book's halfway point. Several later chapters, such as "Second Responders Matter" cover information that would be better placed earlier in the book, as they explain why current so-called solutions to the world's water problems are not physically healthy, cost-efficient, or sustainable in the long term.

Unfortunately, the above issues cost Kaufman's book a perfect rating. However, it is such a relevant and powerful book that I would recommend it to everyone except for very sensitive readers who can't tolerate the occasional F-bomb or discussion of ailments such diarrhea. Although, if so many of our brothers and sisters must experience these ailments daily due to their poor water quality, then those of us who can literally play in clean water whenever we want should be willing to hear about these struggles, and perhaps a few F-bombs are in order. I humbly award <i>Long Walk on a Dry Road</i>, by Jon Kaufman, <b>3 out of 4 stars</b>. When a SunSpring is installed, H2OpenDoors doesn't just tap into safe drinking water - They tap into humanity's immeasurable potential.

Long Walk on a Dry Road
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SamSim's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Since submitting this review, I realized I left the "t" out of "this" in the sentence that begins, "I think [t]his lack," and I forgot the comma that should be between "Matter" and the closing quotation mark. My apologies to the readers.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I completely agree with you about the political views. This sounds like such a worthy cause that it's shameful to turn off people from it just because you MUST discuss your political views. Perhaps it would have been better had he left that to a separate book. Thanks for this, though. I'm appalled at my lack of knowledge of this crisis as well.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

It sounds like a powerful story. I agree with you that superimposing his politics on top of this tale means that the writer is risking losing otherwise sympathetic readers. Thanks for your review!
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

It is a very good and wonderful story to read.
The author's journey mostly in politics can be lesson to learn from.
I definitely loved the book and thank you for the incredible and interesting review.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like an emotional and eye-opening read, on a very overlooked issue in our world right now. I am not sure about the politics side of it as you mentioned, but I would still like to read this to educate myself. Thank you for this excellent review.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Readers: Please excuse the incorrect coding. That was sleep-deprived user error. And thanks for reading!
Samantha Simoneau

kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is troubling to know that he had to go through so much red tape and difficult situations to bring clean water to those who need it. His experiences in the different countries would be interesting to read. Thanks for your compelling review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Thanks for the review. It is good that the author chose to write such a book. I don't have to read it to understand the issues. They are not far from me. I am thankful that he took time to write and let others know.
CHRISMANO88PLUS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by CHRISMANO88PLUS »

Wao!
That's a wonderful review so far.
It explicitly exposed the author's mind/work.
Thanks so much.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

It is always intriguing to read a persons true story. Through the author's eyes, we can see the issues affecting the world at large like hunger, diseases and lack of clean water. Such a great read. Great review.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

Wow what a moving story. It is a stark contrast when you leave America and visit impoverished countries. I commend the author for sharing his story, although perhaps he took away from the main theme by intertwining his political views. Thank you for that review.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A solar-powered water purification plant which produces up to 40,000 liters of safe drinking water daily from virtually any raw source sounds very amazing. The book "Long Walk on a Dry Road" by Jon Kaufman tells how a successful businessman tried for a worthy cause to help Haitians get good water, but needed political clearance for its execution.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

A very detailed review of a book that seems complex. There are several issues going on and it seems that they effected you, which demonstrates how good the author is.

It's good to see I'm not the only one who writes a lengthy review because sometimes a book is deep and it requires a thorough going over.

I thought it was good how you suggested who the book was for and appreciated your humour seeping through as you gave your own version of how the book should be titled. Very clever.

It's obvious you put a lot of effort and thought into this review. You've made me take a second look at a book I probably would have skipped on first glance.

Thank you.

Sincerely, LLR
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Wambui-nj wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 14:21 It is always intriguing to read a persons true story. Through the author's eyes, we can see the issues affecting the world at large like hunger, diseases and lack of clean water. Such a great read. Great review.
Yes! A major reason I love to read is to make sure I don't lose touch with the struggles of the world at large simply because I have a stable existence. Thank you for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”