What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Re: What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Dikay127 wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 21:10 I didn't mind Sky as much as others clearly did. The way he pops up and is introduced in the book was a bit odd but it was obvious he was going to be a main character. I will agree that his sickly sweetness was a bit much but I do like how he ends up tying in with the cyber nerds and how everything comes together at the end. Though I thought the proposal after one "date" was completely unrealistic.
I don't know that I 'minded' him so much as thinking he was just odd. And I agree, much of what he did in relation to Cynthia was unrealistic. Thanks so much for stopping in and commenting!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Kelyn wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 23:38
DC Brown wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 22:29 I have to admit, I felt Sky was creepy from the beginning. He seemed to know too much about her. I was expecting something bad to happen to Cynthia because of him. Kidnapping, some kind of counter-terrorism, something.
IloveSpain01 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 15:39 When he was first introduced, it reminded me of the movie Thomas Crown Affair. He was very mysterious and I initially thought he was a spy. Since he is a major in the Air Force, he may have had to keep his identity a secret. Although, I will agree he was a bit off.
I thought about the spy angle at first, until he took her back to his apartment and she, like a naive little girl, agreed to go. After that, I was just waiting for him to put GHB(sp?) in her drink. I appreciate you both stopping by and commenting!
I mean, Cynthia getting so dizzy off of one ounce of rum was really suspicious to me, particularly when you consider that she doesn't get like that when she drinks wine later.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Nisha Ward wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 13:49
Kelyn wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 23:38
DC Brown wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 22:29 I have to admit, I felt Sky was creepy from the beginning. He seemed to know too much about her. I was expecting something bad to happen to Cynthia because of him. Kidnapping, some kind of counter-terrorism, something.
IloveSpain01 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 15:39 When he was first introduced, it reminded me of the movie Thomas Crown Affair. He was very mysterious and I initially thought he was a spy. Since he is a major in the Air Force, he may have had to keep his identity a secret. Although, I will agree he was a bit off.
I thought about the spy angle at first, until he took her back to his apartment and she, like a naive little girl, agreed to go. After that, I was just waiting for him to put GHB(sp?) in her drink. I appreciate you both stopping by and commenting!
I mean, Cynthia getting so dizzy off of one ounce of rum was really suspicious to me, particularly when you consider that she doesn't get like that when she drinks wine later.
Suspicious indeed! Thanks so much for stopping in and commenting!
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Kelyn wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 12:52 Sky was a puzzle. He was many things, few of them good. At times he was very gentlemanly. Next thing you knew he was acting like Joe Ordinary trying to get laid. And of course, there was the somewhat stalkerish (and creepy) aspect. I'm sure I've left out other aspects as well. It was like he either had DID or the author simply wanted him to be everything for everyone and didn't do a particularly good job of making him anyone's anything. Thoughts?
I don't see any problem in a character changing his personality in a specific book. People may have personality and behavior changes in real life. But I don't know if the writer did a good job because I didn't read the book.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

I don't think Sky's character was well written. The author trying to make him into everyone's personal hero just wasn't realistic.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

LinaMueller wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 12:43
Kelyn wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 12:52 Sky was a puzzle. He was many things, few of them good. At times he was very gentlemanly. Next thing you knew he was acting like Joe Ordinary trying to get laid. And of course, there was the somewhat stalkerish (and creepy) aspect. I'm sure I've left out other aspects as well. It was like he either had DID or the author simply wanted him to be everything for everyone and didn't do a particularly good job of making him anyone's anything. Thoughts?
I don't see any problem in a character changing his personality in a specific book. People may have personality and behavior changes in real life. But I don't know if the writer did a good job because I didn't read the book.
I don't think the problem was that the changes occurred in the first place, but rather that they were poorly done, made no sense and were never really explained in the book. It's not just Sky either, but a lot of the characters.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I was very alarmed that Sky was up to no good when he invited her to his apartment and gave her an alcoholic drink without asking her. I found it very odd and weird that he would buy and give Cynthia all kinds of things for birth control and a pregnancy test kit without asking or discussing anything about it with her first. I thought Sky seemed more normal when he stayed away from Cynthia and wrote letters to her. I think the secrecy and mystery of Sky's life made it seem like Cynthia could be in danger.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

LinaMueller wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 12:43
True enough, but the way the author wrote it just didn't make it seem believable. He did things that just didn't make sense and were out of character for any relatively normal modern male. I appreciate you stopping in and sharing your thoughts!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

LV2R wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 22:43 I was very alarmed that Sky was up to no good when he invited her to his apartment and gave her an alcoholic drink without asking her. I found it very odd and weird that he would buy and give Cynthia all kinds of things for birth control and a pregnancy test kit without asking or discussing anything about it with her first. I thought Sky seemed more normal when he stayed away from Cynthia and wrote letters to her. I think the secrecy and mystery of Sky's life made it seem like Cynthia could be in danger.
Yes, it did but I'm not at all certain that's what the author intended. I do think she tried too hard to make him something for everyone and kind of ended up making his character very disjointed instead. And weird is a very good descriptor for Sky. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 02:05 I didn’t like his character at all. First, the way he shows up in Cynthia’s life was weird. And she goes to his apartment with him. I kept thinking of a vampire when I read the description of him at first. Like he was going to take advantage of her and dump her. Then it was the long syrupy letters. Needless to say, I thought he was odd, and her falling head over heels for him was even weirder.
You are right but I think sometimes, everything happens for a reason.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Perhaps the author was trying to make a character foil to Dan, but failed. It would explain why Cynthia switched over so rapidly. She did mention that there was no vibrant rush of romance with Dan, and there was with Sky. Also, did anyone find the "confessional" scene a bit off?
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

No one is just one thing. Humans are incredibly complex and most of us are self-contradictory without knowing it. But I think the author took Sky's character a step too far. Some of the changes his character made were too OOC for me to believe and even as I write this, I realise I can't really say his character made OOC moves if I didn't really know his character. It's a mystery really.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

diana lowery wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 07:26 Perhaps the author was trying to make a character foil to Dan, but failed. It would explain why Cynthia switched over so rapidly. She did mention that there was no vibrant rush of romance with Dan, and there was with Sky. Also, did anyone find the "confessional" scene a bit off?
Hmm...I hadn't thought about the character foil possibility. That's an interesting take on it! As far as the confessional scene, yes. But then quite a bit was a little 'off' to me in this book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

iced_sunshine wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 10:16 No one is just one thing. Humans are incredibly complex and most of us are self-contradictory without knowing it. But I think the author took Sky's character a step too far. Some of the changes his character made were too OOC for me to believe and even as I write this, I realise I can't really say his character made OOC moves if I didn't really know his character. It's a mystery really.
I suppose that's true. But I still think the author tried too hard with his character and it just didn't quite turn out the way it was intended. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
vivalatianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivalatianne.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by vivalatianne »

I didn’t like his character at all. The way he shows up in Cynthia’s life was weird.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”