Official Review: Looking for Normal by Karen Harmon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Looking for Normal by Karen Harmon

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looking for Normal" by Karen Harmon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Families are like fudge - mostly sweet, with a few nuts." (Dawson,n.d.).

Looking for Normal by Karen Harmon is a labor of love written as a tribute to her family. It starts in the 1920s following her parents Vince and Frances before they meet. Young Vince is still grieving the loss of his mother who left when he was five. The relationship is turbulent between him and his alcoholic father. Vince has grown tired of being the object of his father's rage, so he decides to leave his home in Saskatchewan in hopes of starting a new life in British Columbia. Meanwhile, Frances decides she has had enough of living with the manic mood swings of her mother and sister, who are battling mental illnesses. She leaves her little town of Taber, Alberta in search of a new beginning.

Looking for Normal is a story about family, love, and self-identity. Karen Harmon shares how her parents started from the bottom and worked hard to make a better life for themselves. The second half of the story is based on events from Karen's childhood. Going to work with her dad, playing with friends in the neighborhood, and going on family camping trips are cherished memories that are included in the book. She also explores her relationships with various family members and the role she played as the youngest of four children.

Karen did an excellent job of describing the unstable relationship between Frances and her mother. Frances's mother Edith was thought to have suffered from an undiagnosed borderline personality disorder which negatively impacted the mother-daughter bond. France's feelings towards her mother were clearly stated at the beginning of the book. The book says: "Frances hated her mother. She was taught by the nuns that it was not "Biblical" to hate. So, she decided to leave her mother and the Catholic Church, all in one fell swoop. Both forces in her life had deceived and criticised her."

A unique aspect of the book was the bits of information that Karen provided about British Columbia. A footnote was written at the bottom of relevant pages to educate the reader about various historical landmarks. There were quite a few pictures of train stations and railways. One of my favorites was a picture entitled "Riding the Rails," which showed a train with people hanging onto various parts and some even on the roof! Readers were also educated about some of the favorite local spots such as Stanley Park and the Aristrocat on Granville Street.

Karen also included a selection of poems and songs that were relevant at the time. I particularly enjoyed reading the lyrics from Evelyn Knight's song "Dance With a Dolly." Karen recounts dancing and being spun around by her father while it played in the background. Karen included an array of photographs that chronicled her family through several decades, which made me feel connected to the characters. By the end of the book, I felt as though I knew each family member on a personal level.

One of the things that I loved about Looking for Normal was reading about the strong bond between Karen and her father, Vince. Experiencing being abandoned as a child, I think Vince wanted to do everything in his power to make sure his kids knew how much they were loved. Karen shared special moments that she experienced with her father, including riding in the bulldozer together, dancing to their favorite song and sharing a whole lot of laughter.

There wasn't anything I didn't like about Looking for Normal. It was impeccably written and I am delighted to share that I did not find any spelling errors. I chose to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because it has all the elements that make up an incredible story, including romance, humor, and strong character development. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical non-fiction and books about family, particularly dysfunctional families. The language is clean and wholesome. The only part that may offend readers is the author's description of psychosis and manic episodes.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading and reviewing Looking for Normal, and I think the author's family will cherish the memories captured in the book.

Looking for Normal
View: on Bookshelves
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

It's quite difficult to take a personal, family memoir and turn it into something that other people would like to read. You've obviously enjoyed reading this book, so it looks like the author has done a good job! Thanks for a great review!
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

I loved the book by simply reading the review and can't wait to check it out. I love stories that revolve around the personal struggles that families face as it gives me hope that I'm not alone. Thanks for the review
Stephanie Elizabeth

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 06:25 It's quite difficult to take a personal, family memoir and turn it into something that other people would like to read. You've obviously enjoyed reading this book, so it looks like the author has done a good job! Thanks for a great review!
I really did! Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Nivi Gideon wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 07:44 I loved the book by simply reading the review and can't wait to check it out. I love stories that revolve around the personal struggles that families face as it gives me hope that I'm not alone. Thanks for the review
It's amazing how stories or songs have the ability to make us feel like we are not alone! Thanks for your kind words.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a bit of a unique memoir. Even though it includes some different content, it's not a genre I gravitate towards. I'm glad it was well-done and that you enjoyed it, but I must pass. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 08:42 This sounds like a bit of a unique memoir. Even though it includes some different content, it's not a genre I gravitate towards. I'm glad it was well-done and that you enjoyed it, but I must pass. Thanks for the review.
Thank you!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It's clear from your review that you enjoyed the book. I am not looking to read a book of this nature at the moment. I will have to pass. Thank you for the amazing review and recommendation!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

A tribute to one's parents is often a labour of love and it's clear that this is what the author is doing with this book. To put such a personal touch to it speaks volumes about her and how much she loves them. Thanks for the review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

What loving tribute to honor one's family. Thanks for the excellent review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like Karen's parents had turbulent childhoods, but I'm glad that they, especially her father, made sure she had a good one. Thank you for a great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Ever_Reading wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 23:54 It's clear from your review that you enjoyed the book. I am not looking to read a book of this nature at the moment. I will have to pass. Thank you for the amazing review and recommendation!
Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Nisha Ward wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 08:42 A tribute to one's parents is often a labour of love and it's clear that this is what the author is doing with this book. To put such a personal touch to it speaks volumes about her and how much she loves them. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for your kind words!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Cecilia_L wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 12:00 What loving tribute to honor one's family. Thanks for the excellent review.
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Prisallen wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 12:15 It sounds like Karen's parents had turbulent childhoods, but I'm glad that they, especially her father, made sure she had a good one. Thank you for a great review!
Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”