Review by Delaney35 -- The Engine Woman's Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Review by Delaney35 -- The Engine Woman's Light

Post by Delaney35 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Engine Woman’s Light by Laurel Anne Hill is a gritty coming-of-age novel that takes place in nineteenth-century California. Juanita, a girl with a connection to her dead ancestors, is given a mission to stop the trains that take people to the asylums. Juanita’s great-grandmother saved her from going there as a child. This initial mission sets Juanita on a difficult path. She learns who her family is, what love is, and she ultimately finds herself.

Along with Juanita, a mysterious man named Guide, several dead ancestors, and Tony, a seemingly terrible man, work together to blow up the train tunnels. If they can succeed, then the trains will be stopped for several years, and the conditions of the asylums will be brought to light. If they fail, they will all certainly die a painful death.

This book is not a light read. Juanita suffers at the hands of both friends and enemies. None of the characters in this story are perfect people; they all have pasts that haunt them. The characters are incredibly interesting and diverse. Their flaws made them seem real; this was my favorite part.

The pacing of the book was excellent as well. There was never a time I felt bored while reading it. Whenever things started to go right, there was a new problem, and Juanita had to find a new way to adapt. Whether it was a natural obstacle, like lack of water, or another group trying to stop their sabotage of the trains, there was never a dull moment. However, it didn’t feel rushed. Hill created a proportioned blend of action and description. I felt the descriptions were detailed enough without being overwhelming.

Grammatically, this book was practically flawless. I only found one tiny error in the entire book.

I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing about it I truly disliked. All the elements worked together to create a portal to a different time and place. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a darker coming-of-age novel. I would caution that this book deals with many darker topics, including rape, murder, and abuse. If any of these topics make you uncomfortable, then avoid this book. Hill approaches these topics bluntly and without fear. Additionally, I would only recommend it to mature audiences because of some of the more graphic scenes. If none of that bothers you, then I highly recommend reading this amazing book. It will transport you to a world where the dead walk among the living. It will also remind you that your past doesn't have to define your future. Finally, it will make you question how far you would go to do what you thought was right.

The Engine Woman's Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Great review! This sounds like a fast-paced book with some dark undertones that I would like. I'm curious, how old was Juanita?
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Prisallen wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 08:33 Great review! This sounds like a fast-paced book with some dark undertones that I would like. I'm curious, how old was Juanita?
She started the book at 15 and it took place over the span of 3 years
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

This book sounds so interesting! You wrote a great review!
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Kaylee123 wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 10:59 This book sounds so interesting! You wrote a great review!
Thanks for commenting!
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

You made the book sound very interesting. Good review! 😁 I kind of like stories like that, but sensitive to topics like rape, etc. But because of your comprehensive review, I am looking forward to read this book. Thank you.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

cornelia_SD wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 11:50 You made the book sound very interesting. Good review! 😁 I kind of like stories like that, but sensitive to topics like rape, etc. But because of your comprehensive review, I am looking forward to read this book. Thank you.
Thanks for commenting and if you end up reading it I hope you enjoy!
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Great review! I have been hearing nothing but positive things about this book. Its also nice to see something different from YA sci-fi books, I haven't seen much steam punk novels peak through so this sounds like its worth checking out.
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 09:50 Great review! I have been hearing nothing but positive things about this book. Its also nice to see something different from YA sci-fi books, I haven't seen much steam punk novels peak through so this sounds like its worth checking out.
It is very different, but in a good way. Thanks for commenting!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

The fact that this is edited so well and you couldn't find anything you disliked is huge praise. I'm not a sensitive reader and I love fantasy novels, so I'm sure this book would be something I would love to read. Thanks for the recommendation Delaney, I'm adding this to my list :)
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

danielleamy wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 17:57 The fact that this is edited so well and you couldn't find anything you disliked is huge praise. I'm not a sensitive reader and I love fantasy novels, so I'm sure this book would be something I would love to read. Thanks for the recommendation Delaney, I'm adding this to my list :)
If you end up reading it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your comments about this book. Juanita's resourcefulness does come through in the story. It certainly is not a light read. This is a great review that covers many different aspects of the book. Great job!
Tatan Hidayat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Tatan Hidayat »

the story gives a meaningful and amazing impression. because an incident occurred which is told in this story that the main actor who is still alive mingles with people who have died, and together in a rescue mission against a problem that occurs outside of human reason. even though with a variety of twists and turns of the scene. but it becomes a blend of meaning and story that gives its own purpose to the audience.
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

kdstrack wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 18:36 I enjoyed your comments about this book. Juanita's resourcefulness does come through in the story. It certainly is not a light read. This is a great review that covers many different aspects of the book. Great job!
Thanks for your comment!
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Tatan Hidayat wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 19:19 the story gives a meaningful and amazing impression. because an incident occurred which is told in this story that the main actor who is still alive mingles with people who have died, and together in a rescue mission against a problem that occurs outside of human reason. even though with a variety of twists and turns of the scene. but it becomes a blend of meaning and story that gives its own purpose to the audience.
It definitely has a lot of different parts that work together. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”