Romance vs. Politics

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 974
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Re: Romance vs. Politics

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Well, cyber warfare is something that is of interest to me lately. So, I was for the cyber war aspect of the book.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 14:11
Sinclairess wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 20:06 Hello all! Did you find yourself drawn more to the cyber war or the love triangle?

I believe there is an even mix of politics and suspense as well as love and relationships.
For me by the time the cyber war part came about I was already not really caring about the book. But I do find that part more likable as romance is off for me in this one. I wish that romance went in a more suspense action way.
I totally agree with you. The cyber part was much too late and I already had a strong distaste for the book.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 11:54
Sinclairess wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 20:06 Hello all! Did you find yourself drawn more to the cyber war or the love triangle?

I believe there is an even mix of politics and suspense as well as love and relationships.
For me by the time the cyber war part came about I was already not really caring about the book. But I do find that part more likable as romance is off for me in this one. I wish that romance went in a more suspense action way.
I totally agree with you. The cyber part was much too late and I already had a strong distaste for the book.
I know right. I was wondering why author didn't make at least one of the leading characters more relatable so that we are more invested in the story.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 11:54

I wouldn't just say it was late. It was as if the book started off as a romance and the cyber part was shoved in after.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

SunVixen wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 10:18
56lives wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 04:18 I was very much for the cyber warfare. This is a new kind of warfare that is gaining ground in the world, due to advances in information technology. It looks passive from the outside but it can have much more devastating and disruptive power than conventional warfare.
Cyber warfare is more interesting to me than romance. This is something new. Something that did not occur in previous times. Romance is always just romance.
I think that cyber warfare has been around in literature for quite a long time actually, but it might have been more on the sci-fi/fantasy genre since it wasn't generally perceived as an actual big deal.

As for romance always being romance, I would have to disagree. There are some romances that are more specifically called erotica. then there are some romances that are very flaky and unnatural. I think that romance is a genre that a lot of people dabble in, but there are only a few who seem to cater to my taste of romance fiction.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I like a good romance, but, it was the cyber war element that drew me to it. It adds a very unique perspective on warfare, although I would have preferred if the author hadn't waited so long to introduce that part in the book.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

I was drawn more to the cyber war and suspense. For me, the love triangle was a distraction and a dull moment; i really don't like books on romance.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I don't really like romance too much, so I usually will pick almost anything over a romance, especially a love triangle! It's hard to find something that would make me choose a love triangle, it always seems to remind me of Twilight, which I didn't like.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I liked more the war concept, I guess its because, it covered the recent issues like growing technology. Romance on the other hand, added another angle to the story.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I normally like the romance aspects of a book, but in this case, the cyber war wins out.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

The cyber war was more relatable and pronounced as technology is the current pass time and preoccupation.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

It appeared like the romance was just a side dish and the cyberwar took the main course. It was more interesting though rather than focusing again on romance.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The plot seems interesting, but I have to read the book to answer. There is something so catchy about cyber warfare.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Well, I didn't get past the sample because the book did not grab me. There wasn't much cyber warfare happening in the first couple of chapters. The development of the romance didn't interest me. Maybe the author should have made the sample longer. The scene where the gentleman is ogling Cynthia as she sips the straw and sucks on the lemon was just corny and felt like outdated imagery to me. It sounds like the romance isn't resonating with the majority of readers. I'm not going to get through this one.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

eastandalchemy wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 04:46 When I was younger, I was always drawn to the romance within novels. However, as an adult, it's more difficult for me to relate to most romantic relationships in books, and this was no exception. The cyber warfare was definitely what kept me engaged in this story.
I am the same as you. It's almost as if romance reaches a certain peak that I just can't relate to either. Now that I'm an adult it takes a lot more than a few love letters in a book to engage me! :-|
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”