What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
mblmn_mortician
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mblmn-mortician.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Re: What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Post by mblmn_mortician »

DC Brown wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 22:34
AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 13:51 So we have Cynthia and Dan and Cynthia and Sky as romantic relationships in this book? What is your thought on them? How realistic and believable is their behavior? Do you find the reasoning for cheating acceptable? Is our mind as a reader swayed from the beginning with Dan being " a habit" and Sky being " gentlemen"? How likable or believable is instant love in romance books never mind that they are fiction?
How odd is that Cynthia doesn't have any friends?
Sorry people I have so many questions is just that I am trying to get the points that book is trying to make.
Overall I just feel that this should be just a romance book or just a suspense action book, like this is just all over the place.
After I finished the book I couldn't decide if it was a lousy romance novel or a lousy spy novel. It seemed like it was trying to be both and failed completely. The relationships throughout the book were odd, except for the computer nerds. I liked them the best. They actually got things done instead of wallowing in drama.
Lousy. That is the word I've been looking for all week. Thank you! I think I have more extreme thoughts about the absolute lack of boundaries and dangerous red flags Cynthia constantly ignored or justified.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

mblmn_mortician wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 20:03
DC Brown wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 22:34
AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 13:51 So we have Cynthia and Dan and Cynthia and Sky as romantic relationships in this book? What is your thought on them? How realistic and believable is their behavior? Do you find the reasoning for cheating acceptable? Is our mind as a reader swayed from the beginning with Dan being " a habit" and Sky being " gentlemen"? How likable or believable is instant love in romance books never mind that they are fiction?
How odd is that Cynthia doesn't have any friends?
Sorry people I have so many questions is just that I am trying to get the points that book is trying to make.
Overall I just feel that this should be just a romance book or just a suspense action book, like this is just all over the place.
After I finished the book I couldn't decide if it was a lousy romance novel or a lousy spy novel. It seemed like it was trying to be both and failed completely. The relationships throughout the book were odd, except for the computer nerds. I liked them the best. They actually got things done instead of wallowing in drama.
Lousy. That is the word I've been looking for all week. Thank you! I think I have more extreme thoughts about the absolute lack of boundaries and dangerous red flags Cynthia constantly ignored or justified.
I was expecting the author to talk about that in the section where she addresses a few things but she never did and it was kind of disappointing.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Katherine Smith wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 18:08 I agree with the members who have posted ahead of me in the respect of cheating. Many studies have found that people cheat out of boredom, but even so this is never an excuse for breaking the trust of someone else. I also have a problem with a man teaching a women about her body and how it works. This seems unrealistic and annoyed me. I do like the computer geeks though and my vote is for them to be the stars in the next book.
I'm still not over "with a man teaching a women about her body and how it works" that had me keep the book and the romance under bigger scrutiny. Everytime I think about it I get mad.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

VernaVi wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 00:59 I wasn't happy with either romance. By the end of the book, I felt that either the title should be changed, or the book re-written to match the title better. None of the characters seemed able to commit to one another or to the task at hand that the book is supposed to be about.
Yes, I agree that sums it up for me too.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 15:13
Katherine Smith wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 18:08 I agree with the members who have posted ahead of me in the respect of cheating. Many studies have found that people cheat out of boredom, but even so this is never an excuse for breaking the trust of someone else. I also have a problem with a man teaching a women about her body and how it works. This seems unrealistic and annoyed me. I do like the computer geeks though and my vote is for them to be the stars in the next book.
I'm still not over "with a man teaching a women about her body and how it works" that had me keep the book and the romance under bigger scrutiny. Everytime I think about it I get mad.
Mmm. Agreed, though I was watching it ever since Sky wanted t be rude and smoke in a no smoking area and Cynthia just went along with it. Like, it was quite obvious he was the love interest but he wasn't a good one from the start.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nisha Ward wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 17:36
Mmm. Agreed, though I was watching it ever since Sky wanted t be rude and smoke in a no smoking area and Cynthia just went along with it. Like, it was quite obvious he was the love interest but he wasn't a good one from the start.
Yes I noticed that as well. He was portreyed as this nice guy for one second and then the next he is smoking with I don't care additude, was that the part where we realize he is this badass guy?!
I really don't see romance in this book.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 09:20
Nisha Ward wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 17:36

Yes I noticed that as well. He was portreyed as this nice guy for one second and then the next he is smoking with I don't care additude, was that the part where we realize he is this badass guy?!
I really don't see romance in this book.
Honestly? It just made him rude and entitled. That Cynthia chose him baffles me.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

There are some concessions one must make regarding the suspension of disbelief when it comes to romance. The problems the characters create for themselves could be easily fixed if anyone ever acted in a logical manner. Love at first sight is a staple, but cheating is not. Romance is about soulmates and unwavering devotion. Cheating is what happens in real life.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Lol, risky by the author to take such a move.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I liked the techie nerd's romance the best as they passed of as real. Thanks.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

The relationships didn't feel believable to me. They felt off and distasteful.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Adedayo+23 wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 12:51 The relationships didn't feel believable to me. They felt off and distasteful.
From the moment the cheating began, it was distasteful, I think, so I don't disagree with you at all.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Good Lord, Cynthia was written with the mentality of a teenager and a very immature one at that. Someone brought up that Sky goes to confession yet Cynthia's character has no reconciliation of any kind. They have no conversation about Dan, so what if they had been together three years, he didn't deserve the courtesy of a breakup or the truth? It was just ridiculous that as a work of fiction that none of these plot elements were addressed.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
unidhi05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unidhi05.html
Latest Review: Voice of the Elders by Greg Ripley

Post by unidhi05 »

The relation Cynthia shares with Dan and Sky is odd. In novels categorized under the romance genre, it is the bond between the characters that ignite the spark which makes the readers feel that the relationship more realistic. And that passion is what is lacking between Cynthia and Dan, which makes the characters more sloppy. On the other hand, the computer geeks' romance felt more realistic and close to heart. My vote goes to them!
Debottam_55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debottam-55.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Debottam_55 »

I think the diversion towards romance and love in this novel fails completely. The characters' love stories are not intriguing enough. More importantly, the amalgamation of two themes, that of terrorism and love becomes extremely difficult to tackle and that is why the romance aspect of the novel, crashes down.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" - Charles Bukowski

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”