Official Review: Dirty Science by Bob Gebelein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Official Review: Dirty Science by Bob Gebelein

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dirty Science" by Bob Gebelein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever experienced the paranormal, had a prophetic dream, or expressed your belief in God? Have you also been threatened with intimidation, ridicule or dismissal for displaying these beliefs to anyone in the scientific community? You’re not alone.

Dirty Science by Bob Gebelein is written by a Harvard graduate who is fully aware of the bias against legitimate studies of the mental and spiritual realms. This bias is not only prevalent in science, but in the academic world at large. To him, it is an absolute travesty that unscientific methods are preventing our cultural advancement and understanding of these topics. Scientists regularly put forth refutations and criticism of what they refer to as “pseudoscience” and propagate the only accepted agenda that all must robotically parrot: there is nothing in existence beyond the physical world. The author strongly disagrees with this approach because of his own self-discoveries in psychotherapy and spiritual enlightenment. This book teaches you to spot the unscientific methods scientists use to discredit anything that doesn’t correspond to their worldview so that you too can help to change the culture by being aware of these techniques and exposing them to others.

What initially drew me to this book was the fact the author graduated from Harvard. I couldn’t believe that someone with an Ivy League education had actually escaped the mind-warping techniques that had almost corrupted me at my equally close-minded university. For someone with Harvard credentials to write a book in defense of the supernatural and maligned psychologists like Freud and Jung was intriguing.

This book is impeccably edited. I couldn’t find a single error, and every source is compiled in a lengthy bibliography at the back of the book. The author made every effort to approach this work as academically as possible without making the writing boring. Although I thought he focused a bit too much on his experience with psychotherapy, it is evident he feels passionate about the subject and truly believes in its merits and ability to help average people explore their innermost selves.

I was more interested in his spiritual experiences and dreams, since that’s something I can relate to. I didn’t agree with his conclusions on some spiritual matters regarding sexuality. My own spiritual experiences taught me the exact opposite of what he practices. Still, it was interesting to read his point of view on matters and how he came to believe them.

This book is designed to prove the existence of a world beyond the physical and expose the corruption of our institutions of higher learning and those that religiously deny its validity through unscientific means. Since the author absolutely achieves this aim to my satisfaction, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book will expose the establishment’s pitiful arguments against parapsychology that so-called “authorities” use to discredit their opposition. By the time you finish reading, you’ll be able to recognize a legitimate argument from an unscientific one. If you’re not willing to examine the flaws in scientific thinking, then this book probably isn’t for you. If you’re curious to learn more about verifiable proof of the supernatural, this book will certainly interest you.

Dirty Science
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I'm very interested in what the author has to say. I'm a person of faith, and it's true that the scientific community tends to discredit anything that we say. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I have a B.S. in environmental biology and it took me a while to meld my Christian faith with the science community. I now see that science just backs up my beliefs. It's easy for me to see that a higher power has guided creation and species adaption. There's lots of atheist in science and their beliefs can seep into studies they conduct and write. This sounds like a book I would be interested in. Great review and thanks for the book recommemdation.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It's interesting the way American universities tend to discourage spirituality as compared to other regions. I come from a place where these things exist together though they never meet and scientists aren't quick to just dismiss things out of hand. Would love to know what the author has to say on this topic.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This is a very unique topic to write about. It seems from your review that this is a well-written book, with a thought-provoking theme towards readers. Your review has very much intrigued me, and I feel that I would learn something from this book. Flawless editing is very rare and is a clear sign of a conscientious and professional writer. Thank you for this excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I also am astounded that a Harvard graduate would author a book on this theme. His premise sounds intriguing and I would be interested in learning his technique for spotting the "unscientific methods" used by scientists. Great review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

What a viewpoint to read through! I've always been drawn to the supernatural due to the life experiences of my own. I'd love to read a Harvard graduate's view on this subject. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
michael1972
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by michael1972 »

Dirty Science by BOB GEBELEIN It's about discrediting spiritual life or progress in Spiritual life of one person.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I liked the opening questions you presented because I have experienced both. I also have been ridiculed by religious scholars for supporting science. I want to read Gebelein's viewpoint so I can recognize unscientific arguments. I enjoyed reading your thought-provoking review. Thanks!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

I'm up in the air as to whether I'd enjoy this book. Initially I thought I'd not be interested at all, but your review made me give it a second thought. I enjoyed the review; the book I'll have to give some more thought.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

What science do in real is just to back up spiritual truth. The presence of supernatural being in human life would not satisfy the unbeliever. Good thing that there is a Harvard University Graduate who could satisfy the truth. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”