Official Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Unexpected Mess" by Marie Washtag.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag comes under the genre of other fiction. This story deals with the themes of war refugees, slavery, and human trafficking. Marta had grown up in Serbia but fled to Hungary when the war broke out and now was trying to establish a new life in Spain. She became a pawn in the hands of individuals who took advantage of her to enrich themselves.

Marta left her home country when war broke out and found work in Spain. She saw her life as a blank, white page that she wanted to fill with beautiful experiences. Her ability to speak several languages helped her land a job with a tourist company. She met Attila, who fell in love with her and won her heart. They began planning their wedding. Her husband and his friend, Pedro, were planning to film the consumption of the marriage and sell the photos for a large payment. Before these plans could be carried out, several men broke into the room and kidnapped Marta. They transported her to another city, and we read about her life as a captive with no documents and unable to speak the language. Is there any hope for Marta or is she doomed to a life of slavery? Is there any way out of this prison?

I especially enjoyed the author's portrayal and development of Marta. Her love of life, enjoyment of freedom, and happy disposition set the tone for a contented lifestyle. I fell in love with Marta and the joy she expressed in the simple pleasures of life. This created a contrast with the horror she experienced when she became the target of the evil plans of her ruthless acquaintances.

The setting of the story is Spain. The primary tourist attractions of San Sebastian, Malaga, Barcelona, Granada, and Madrid fill the pages of the book, carrying the reader to the cultural and historical sites of each city. The author's beautiful descriptions inspired me to research many of the places mentioned.

I struggled with the lack of quotation marks to indicate speech as this created confusion during lengthier discussions. The numerous spelling and punctuation errors also slowed the reading flow.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This story keeps the reader engaged with its captivating story line that contemplates the precarious situation of refugees. Marta's experience evoked a wide range of emotions that kept me riveted to the story until the dramatic end. I deducted one star for the reasons mentioned above. Readers who enjoy psychological thrillers and suspense novels will breeze through this short novel of only 115 pages. There are a few scenes of a sexual nature that would be inappropriate for younger or sensitive readers.

An Unexpected Mess
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sadly, I think this is more realistic than we'd like to believe. It sounds like it tackles some important themes, and it's entertaining to boot. The content might be a bit too dark for me, but I appreciate the review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

This book sounds intriguing! I am often drawn to books classified as "Other Fiction." Their subjects are always a surprise! Thanks for such a thorough review. :)
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Poor Marta! It sounds as though her life is one bad thing after another. I love books with good character development and it seems that at least Marta's character fits into that category. Great review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

It's so sad that someone as positive and optimistic as Marta was duped by those she trusted. I hope that she was able to escape her prison and live her life to the fullest. Thank you for a fascinating review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

It sounds like a novel about problems that are all too real in today's world, which is unfortunate. I just may pick this one up! Thanks for the engaging review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Marta left her home country when war broke out and found work in Spain. She saw her life as a blank, white page that she wanted to fill with beautiful experiences. Her ability to speak several languages helped her land a job with a tourist company. She met Attila, who fell in love with her and won her heart. They began planning their wedding. Her husband and his friend, Pedro, were planning to film the consumption of the marriage and sell the photos for a large payment. Before these plans could be carried out, several men broke into the room and kidnapped Marta. They transported her to another city, and we read about her life as a captive with no documents and unable to speak the language. Is there any hope for Marta or is she doomed to a life of slavery? Is there any way out of this prison?
What a compelling plot! I thoroughly enjoyed your review. :tiphat:
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 10:24 Sadly, I think this is more realistic than we'd like to believe. It sounds like it tackles some important themes, and it's entertaining to boot. The content might be a bit too dark for me, but I appreciate the review. Thanks.
That's what struck me. It is written as fiction, but it seemed like it could have been based on a true story. I appreciate your comments. Thanks!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 11:25 This book sounds intriguing! I am often drawn to books classified as "Other Fiction." Their subjects are always a surprise! Thanks for such a thorough review. :)
I think you would enjoy this story. It does have some surprises! Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Prisallen wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 14:14 Poor Marta! It sounds as though her life is one bad thing after another. I love books with good character development and it seems that at least Marta's character fits into that category. Great review!
I did not always agree with Marta's decisions, but it is hard to know how you would react until you find yourself going through the same thing. She was an interesting character and I still debate her reactions in my head! Thanks for stopping by.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Bluebird03 wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 14:39 It's so sad that someone as positive and optimistic as Marta was duped by those she trusted. I hope that she was able to escape her prison and live her life to the fullest. Thank you for a fascinating review!
You might be surprised! I did admire her optimism and hope. Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kelyn wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 05:57 It sounds like a novel about problems that are all too real in today's world, which is unfortunate. I just may pick this one up! Thanks for the engaging review!
With all the refugees we see in the news, it is interesting to read about their experiences. They go into the unknown and often fall into situations beyond their control. I hope you enjoy Marta´s story. I appreciate your comments.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 13:03
What a compelling plot! I thoroughly enjoyed your review. :tiphat:
It is a compelling story about a contemporary issue. I appreciate your kind words. Thanks!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It seems the author has a winner here. I hope those errors could be resolved quickly. Marta's story is sadly too common among those whose lives are disrupted by war.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 16:54 It seems the author has a winner here. I hope those errors could be resolved quickly. Marta's story is sadly too common among those whose lives are disrupted by war.
I hope so too. I really wanted to give this one the full score. I appreciate your comments. Thanks!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”