Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Re: Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Post by Helena91 »

I totally agree with y'all on Cynthia's flawed character but hey, she is young and probably not very sure of what she want yet. The problem I have with her character is that considering her position, I expected better.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

B Creech wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 01:13 WOW! Seems like we all felt the same about Cynthia! From the very beginning when she allowed a stranger to manipulate her into lunch and then going to his apartment! I mean really?? Her character was very shallow. I hated the way she treated Dan. She was an attention seeker, in my opinion.
Yes! I hope the author gets the idea that we want stronger, smarter characters. Cynthia's character was what I used to call a "TV Woman" in the 1970s! A damsel in distress. There is a plot type for those, but this kind of book isn't it.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 20:19
B Creech wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 01:13 WOW! Seems like we all felt the same about Cynthia! From the very beginning when she allowed a stranger to manipulate her into lunch and then going to his apartment! I mean really?? Her character was very shallow. I hated the way she treated Dan. She was an attention seeker, in my opinion.
Yes! I hope the author gets the idea that we want stronger, smarter characters. Cynthia's character was what I used to call a "TV Woman" in the 1970s! A damsel in distress. There is a plot type for those, but this kind of book isn't it.
I agree. With the type of job she had, she was supposed to be a strong female figure not a damsel in distress! And certainly should have been smarter than to go to a strangers apartment as soon as they met!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Helena91 wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 23:27 I totally agree with y'all on Cynthia's flawed character but hey, she is young and probably not very sure of what she want yet. The problem I have with her character is that considering her position, I expected better.
Exactly, so did I!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
eiholmes16
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 646
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eiholmes16.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by eiholmes16 »

I definitely had concerns about Cynthia's character, but was more focused on the disconnect between her extremely thorough professionalism in the Senator's office and with his security and her lackadaisical attitude toward her own safety. She went home with Sky the afternoon that she met him, which we can call a romantic or even lustful whim. However, why wasn't she concerned when he had a cup of coffee brewed and waiting for her in her own apartment the very next morning? Or how he knew where she lived the night they first met? There are way too many red flags about Sky for a trained security expert to not notice. I was disappointed that there was so much incongruence in her story.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Helena91 wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 23:27 I totally agree with y'all on Cynthia's flawed character but hey, she is young and probably not very sure of what she want yet. The problem I have with her character is that considering her position, I expected better.
While I agree that Cynthia's youth could contribute to this, I wouldn't use it to excuse it entirely. The problem is that as a character she's completely flat and inconsistent with no real arc. It's a shame because the stuff you pointed out could have been used to great effect had it been done differently.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 20:19
I mean, to be fair, not every 1970s tv woman was a damsel in distress. That being said, totally! Flaws are one thing but she wanted people to treat her a certain way without actually working for it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
mblmn_mortician
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mblmn-mortician.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by mblmn_mortician »

I have a very similar opinion of Cynthia's character. There were so many red flags she blatantly ignored or immediately justified that I found it difficult to respect the other aspects of her character. I mean, it truly is a book with a female lead, followed by an all-female team of women who are skilled, intelligent, and balancing lives of their own. I feel that was incredibly lost during the book due to the representation of Cynthia's romantic relationships. The extreme length Sky went to be in Cynthia's life was borderline obsessive. His disregard for boundaries and understanding of steps taken in a relationship was boggling to me, but then her lack of accountability in seeing this all play out was simply ridiculous. I found myself very frustrated with her character. I do appreciate watching characters experience difficult life events who then learn and grow (e.g. Eleanor Oliphant) but this one was tough. Tying up loose ends of their whirlwind relationship moved quicker than their traffic jam meet-up, and I found myself lost in the dust.
Giana08
Currently Reading: Pride & Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Giana08 »

When reading the book personally I just disliked Cynthia’s character. She lacked common sense and did some things that are just plain dumb. Cynthia cheating when nothing in the book portrayed even the slightest bit of problems in her and dans relationship to be cheating on him with a guy she just met that day.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I just couldn't get past her impressive position as Head of Security for a U.S. Senator (even though a family friend it seems) and her excessively irresponsible behavior. The two don't go together - it seemed like the author had a story in mind and just placed characters into it without considering the type of person that character needed to be.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 12:57 I really don't like Cynthia's character because I believe she lacks common sense and she is insensitive to others. Anyone who would cheat on someone like that is seriously flawed in my opinion. She should have had the decency to tell Dan as soon as it happened, but instead, she strung him along.
That really irked me as well. She had been with Dan for so long, she shouldn't have treated him like that.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

Giana08 wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 11:35 When reading the book personally I just disliked Cynthia’s character. She lacked common sense and did some things that are just plain dumb. Cynthia cheating when nothing in the book portrayed even the slightest bit of problems in her and dans relationship to be cheating on him with a guy she just met that day.
Especially because Sky was so plain creepy. He knew all this stuff about her and she didn't even question it.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I don't know that I like nor dislike Cynthia's character. But, at the beginning she never said that she loved Dan she summarized their relationship as comfortable. Also as the story goes on and the meet up again in the restaurant it becomes aware that there was no real foundation or commitments within the statues of the relationship between her and Dan.

But I do also feel that she made very bad decisions when it came to her job or the position of which she held as a spy or secret agent.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Yes, you're right in your line of thought as touching Cynthia character. I also agree with Helena91 " i expected better". Though I didn't expect her to cheat, i expected a genuine remorse for what she did, but...
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

Cynthia was a very flawed character. I had a problem with her cheating and also the fact that she always had to be rescued. She wasn’t a character that you could emphasize with too much, as she had too many negative qualities.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”