Official Review: One with the Light

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: One with the Light

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One with the Light" by Jerri Curry, PhD, Author.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One with the Light: A Mystic’s Journey to the Light is a memoir written by Jerri Curry. In this book, the author shares a 75-year journey of integration of scientific, spiritual, and social aspects of life that move towards a higher and “collective compassionate consciousness” and being One with the Light in a state of grace. For Jerri, it has meant trusting in following her feet and allowing them to guide her at every step to where she belongs. According to her, it is important to be aware of the “oneness of humanity.” This dissolves fear and replaces it with love and an inclusive attitude.

The author believes in the power of intention and imagination to overcome problems and shares some of her real-life experiences on this subject. As a forensic psychologist, she encourages mindfulness and applies cognitive behavioral theory for control over one’s thoughts and behavior. Through a list of questions in some of the chapters, Jerri invites the reader to introspect and be open to change. It may involve speaking the truth to power. The questions of homeless people and the victims of abuse are very dear to her. Besides being convinced of the unity of humanity, Jerri shares her love for animals, especially puppies. She also believes in angels. She is open to the many dimensions of life.

When I began reading the book, I was quite irritated with the landscape view of the page set-up. It was very difficult to read the text, which is also quite dense and monotonous. This is what I most disliked about the work. I was skeptical and wondered whether the author was healthy in mind. From what she described about herself, she looked like an introvert who spoke about connectedness but was not social in her behavior. She seemed to be suffering from the ill effects of sexual abuse and needed inner healing. The contents of One with the Light came across as a mixture of esoteric ideas that constitute New Age eclectic spiritualities and relativism that waters down the Truth. I wondered whether her focus on “Oneness” was merely a form of nature mysticism that lacked depth. In spite of my deep respect for people in the variety of spiritual and religious traditions around the world, I could not assimilate her ideas on reincarnation and the narratives of her past-life experiences, which are contrary to the core aspects of my Christian faith. I did not enjoy Jerri’s preaching tone, and she seemed to have a misled consciousness.

However, as I read the second half of the book, I noticed the author’s ideas becoming coherent and more integrated with life. She seemed to have processed her past while pursuing her studies in psychology and was helping her clients to also be healed. Jerri seemed to have reconciled with her failed marital relationships in the past and was empowered to help others going through similar problems in life. She was serving the poor and marginalized of society. Jerri is a “wounded healer” who is able to understand her clients because of her own journey towards integration and healing. This is what I liked most about her memoir, and I feel happy for her.

With regard to the presentation, this book will benefit from a new layout and a round of editing. I found a few grammatical errors, but they were not distracting. After careful and critical analysis of the contents, I am inclined to rate this book 2.5 stars, but since this is not possible, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to men and women who are mature and discerning. It may be appreciated by readers who can overlook some of the bizarre ideas and focus on the positive aspects.

One with the Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is definitely a bit too heavy and too spiritual for me. I prefer more straight Christian books IF I read any non-fiction to begin with. I mostly use books to escape, and this definitely doesn't fit that bill. I'm glad you got something out of it, but it's not for me. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Good review! I'm conflicted on this one. The author probably knows what she's talking about when it comes to psychology due to her training and experience, which already puts her above the average New Age author, but this sort of language is always off-putting to me. Buzzwords and vague terms often hide poorly reasoned and evidence-free claims. Still, it might be worth navigating around the nonsense if it means the reader can get valuable insights from psychology and practical experience.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

This sounds like a book that we should take what's good and maybe leave the rest. I liked that the review mentions all the good that Jerri has done. I also thought the cover was just a nice picture and the words impossible to read. This could easily to fixed. Nice balanced review.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a heavy read to me :) Although, thank you for a great review and making through such a difficult to read book. I liked that you still found a positive sides of this book and that the memoir is written according to the author's own experience.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”